-

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LittlePete83

-

Postby LittlePete83 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:10 am

-
Last edited by LittlePete83 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Re: Can you apply to the same school twice in one year?

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 am

Nope. You can ask a school to put your application on hold while you wait for your new score. But once they make a decision on you, your cycle is over wrt that school. The only exception is if you are deferred or waitlisted.

LittlePete83

-

Postby LittlePete83 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:20 am

-
Last edited by LittlePete83 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:22 am

why not just wait til June? Feb is too late for many schools and you will be much more competitive by applying as early as possible next cycle.. just give yourself the extra months of study time and a better shot at money/acceptance

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:24 am

BlueDiamond wrote:why not just wait til June? Feb is too late for many schools and you will be much more competitive by applying as early as possible next cycle.. just give yourself the extra months of study time and a better shot at money/acceptance

titcr. early applications can really give you a bump at many schools.

LittlePete83

-

Postby LittlePete83 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:31 am

-
Last edited by LittlePete83 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:35 am

LittlePete83 wrote:This is my second year in a row applying. I have a fee waiver so basically everything but my tutor and study guides were free. I would love to take a year off to work but I'm 27 and really don't want to still be in school well into my 30's. I know that everyone on this board wants to go to law school but I'm just ready now. I feel like it's something I have to do. A year may not sound like a long time and I know I'm not elderly by any means, but I need to get serious about my future and my career.

Also, I was signed up for the December LSATs but my grad school finals ended up being overwhelming so I had to postpone to February.

I may get some cynical responses but I've been in the workforce for a while now and I know where I need to be. Worst case scenario, I'll take the June test too and reapply as soon as the applications go live on the LSAC.

I don't mean to be a dick, but you need to get serious about the LSAT, or get serious about pursuing an alternate career (what's your grad school degree in/ going to be in?). With a 151 you're looking at sticker anywhere you go. That's a huge commitment for what will end up getting you horrible job prospects. Sorry if that was blunt.

EDIT: RC fail. legal administration? i've never heard of that. SURELY if you're 4.0'ing grad school you can muster a 160+.

LittlePete83

-

Postby LittlePete83 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:46 am

-
Last edited by LittlePete83 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:47 am

Oh, and DU is the only school that offers an MS in Legal Administration. Pretty cool. I enrolled after the JD program rejected me last spring. Anyone out there looking for a fall back, look into Denver's MSLA program.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:50 am

LittlePete83 wrote:No, you aren't being a dick. I completely understand what you mean. Not to make (too many) excuses, I have bad anxiety and panic disorder which makes for "shaky" test taking.

To counteract all of this, I'm spending every last cent I have on a tutor and I'm taking at least two practice tests per week (then bumping up more per week as the test date nears) scoring in the 155-161 range. I'm praying to Jesus, Allah, Buddha, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster for a 165+. Also, my two degrees are/will be from my first choice of law school. I'm just obsessing! Thanks for the honest feedback. I really want this and while I could wait another year, I don't want to :)

A little more unsolicited advice. I was PTing in the low 150s. I took a Kaplan class, raised my score to a 159 on the February LSAT (as a junior in college). I then STUPIDLY took the class again for free. I took the LSAT in June and got a 159 again. If you've taken the class, don't take another or spend more money. Buy some books (bibles are good) focus on your weaknesses. Which are (1) w/e section you're scoring poorly in (hint: logic games are learnable-to almost 100% accuracy), and (2) test taking anxiety. You can beat that for sure. Just practice tons of tests in new locations (libraries, civic centers, schools, classrooms), under normal circumstances (you're not the only one who's had anxiety issues). Good luck.

LittlePete83

-

Postby LittlePete83 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

-
Last edited by LittlePete83 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:16 am

LittlePete83 wrote:Thanks! And the advice is definitely solicited since I posted my problem here :wink:

And I couldn't afford Kaplan or PR so I'm working with a tutor I found on WyzAnt.com. She's helpful in finding out where my weaknesses are (something I definitely have trouble doing). I'm mastering the games and reading comp so arguments or whatever you want to call it is my achilles heel.

Since I'm a DU student and I'm on winter break right now, I'm going to take a few timed tests in an empty classroom (I'm paying $50k/year there so they better not kick me out haha). I really do need to take this mo fo again, though. My 141 back in 2006 is still on my record -- NEVER take a big exam when you have mono.

Overall, any and all constructive advice like yours is much appreciated! My anxiety was getting the best of me this evening but it's law school applications not the apocalypse, right?

no offense, and I don't really feel bad saying this because you had mono, but a 141 is the worst score I've ever heard of.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 am

On lawstudents.ca someone got a 150 on their first test and a 141 on their second time lol. That's worse than just a straight 141.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:47 am

FuManChusco wrote:
LittlePete83 wrote:Thanks! And the advice is definitely solicited since I posted my problem here :wink:

And I couldn't afford Kaplan or PR so I'm working with a tutor I found on WyzAnt.com. She's helpful in finding out where my weaknesses are (something I definitely have trouble doing). I'm mastering the games and reading comp so arguments or whatever you want to call it is my achilles heel.

Since I'm a DU student and I'm on winter break right now, I'm going to take a few timed tests in an empty classroom (I'm paying $50k/year there so they better not kick me out haha). I really do need to take this mo fo again, though. My 141 back in 2006 is still on my record -- NEVER take a big exam when you have mono.

Overall, any and all constructive advice like yours is much appreciated! My anxiety was getting the best of me this evening but it's law school applications not the apocalypse, right?

no offense, and I don't really feel bad saying this because you had mono, but a 141 is the worst score I've ever heard of.

Oh come on. Really? I've heard of 135 (some guy in my kaplan class). There was a thread on here yesterday with people talking about 120s.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

Oh come on. Really? I've heard of 135 (some guy in my kaplan class). There was a thread on here yesterday with people talking about 120s.

damn. I didn't even think that was possible. isn't that like 80 incorrect responses?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:12 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

damn. I didn't even think that was possible. isn't that like 80 incorrect responses?

I figured it must have be stress related (people getting sub 140 LSATs). But I'll never forget, this one middle aged man in my Kaplan class said "I'm tryin' to get into Emory, but I need to get my score out of the 130s." I felt horrible.

LittlePete83

-

Postby LittlePete83 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:38 pm

-
Last edited by LittlePete83 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:48 pm

LittlePete83 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

Thanks for the "constructive criticism." I'll let you get back to being high and mighty. I should have known better than to share something so embarrassing. I must be the only one who has ever tanked an exam.

You had mono. That's a good excuse. Just surprised to see a score that low. Usually when people bomb, they cancel.

LittlePete83

-

Postby LittlePete83 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:55 pm

-
Last edited by LittlePete83 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilove_toshop

Postby ilove_toshop » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:43 am

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I didn't know much about the test. I was still in college and didn't prepare enough either. And I think one of the reasons I didn't cancel was that the stupid test cost so much! I felt like I would have been flushing $150 down the toilet. Thankfully that score will disappear by December 2011 if I have to reapply for 2012. I did raise my second score by 10 points last February (mid-panic attack, mind you) so here's hoping I can do it again (plus a few more points for insurance)! This thread is making me sound like I'm full of excuses, though haha. Looking back I know what went wrong with me so this time I'm gonna ace this b*tch!

Technically your score will not 'disappear' because it will still be on your record. A few schools still average scores too.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:06 am

ilove_toshop wrote:
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I didn't know much about the test. I was still in college and didn't prepare enough either. And I think one of the reasons I didn't cancel was that the stupid test cost so much! I felt like I would have been flushing $150 down the toilet. Thankfully that score will disappear by December 2011 if I have to reapply for 2012. I did raise my second score by 10 points last February (mid-panic attack, mind you) so here's hoping I can do it again (plus a few more points for insurance)! This thread is making me sound like I'm full of excuses, though haha. Looking back I know what went wrong with me so this time I'm gonna ace this b*tch!

Technically your score will not 'disappear' because it will still be on your record. A few schools still average scores too.

I'm pretty sure LSATs only stay on your record for 5 years. OP may have taken one a while back.

LittlePete83

-

Postby LittlePete83 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:35 pm

-

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:34 am

Why would you apply twice? When they reject you they have the info regarding everything you have to offer, what would change the second time?

LittlePete83

-

Postby LittlePete83 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:00 pm

-
Last edited by LittlePete83 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:22 pm

if you are re taking the LSAT, tell the school to wait on a final decision until they get your scores. If you apply ED, and are dinged, some schools will put you into the RD application pool, while others will not look at it again. Once they make a final decision- and send you a letter, then thats it for the cycle. If you are unhappy with the decision, you will have to wait and try again next cycle.

Return to “What are my chances?”