URM reverse-splitter chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DeeCee

URM reverse-splitter chances

Postby DeeCee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:30 am

What are my chances?

I have a 3.95 ugpa, MA degree, 157 lsat, good softs and publications, hispanic URM.

I applied to (with fee waivers at all except GW and Georgetown):
Northeastern--Accepted
American--Accepted
GW
Georgetown
Penn
UVA
Cornell
Michigan
Maryland

I have heard no word except for the top two, and I went complete around 11/10 to all schools.

Let me know what you think--I WILL be going to law school this fall, so no retakes here. Thanks!

sundance95

Re: URM reverse-splitter chances

Postby sundance95 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:37 am

DCLaw11 wrote:Let me know what you think--I WILL be going to law school this fall, so no retakes here. Thanks!

That's too bad, because with just a few points more the T14 becomes a very real possibility with that GPA. FWIW, Michigan's lowest LSAT acceptance on LSN for last cycle was a 159/4.0 URM. 160 seems to be UVA's floor. Maybe Cornell or GULC? It's pretty impossible to accurately predict a URM cycle, so all are still worth apps btw.

serdog

Postby serdog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:50 am

from what I've seen here breaking 160 would really open the T-14

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:52 am

I'd really like to get into the DC / Northeast region. I was thinking I might have a chance at GW, and my dream would be Penn, but I'm just keeping in mind that fee waivers do not equal interest in my application.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:58 am

I know a 160 would be prime, but I have some family circumstances going on right now and retaking can't happen, and plus I'm wrapping up grad school. I know retake is the mantra here but I am OK with not retaking. I'd just like to know, at face value, what you think my chances would be.

I'd love to receive any feedback about what anyone thinks my chances are with a 157.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:16 am

I'd say out everywhere except Maryland. Maybe, just maybe, GW takes you. What type of hispanic URM are you if you don't mind me asking?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 am

sundance95 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:Let me know what you think--I WILL be going to law school this fall, so no retakes here. Thanks!

That's too bad.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:19 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I'd say out everywhere except Maryland. Maybe, just maybe, GW takes you. What type of hispanic URM are you if you don't mind me asking?

This. Apply to more T30s. If you want to stay in the BosWash area, add W&M, BU, BC, and Fordham.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 am

HeavenWood, I think your plan is sound--more T30s. My finals are now over so I have free time for a second round of apps. Do you think applying this late in the cycle I'd have a good chance in the T30 range?

On the bright side, Northeastern just offered me $26,000, but I'd love to attend a higher-ranking school in the NE / DC area. I am extremely interested in Environmental law (my UG and Grad have been focused upon Environmental stewardship) so it is important to me that I'm able to delve into this area while in law school.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:51 am

Rand M. wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

That's too bad.

Just a few more points could have made the difference between top 14 and top 30.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Apply to Fordham!

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 pm

kkklick wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

That's too bad.

Just a few more points could have made the difference between top 14 and top 30.

DCLaw11 wrote:I know a 160 would be prime, but I have some family circumstances going on right now and retaking can't happen, and plus I'm wrapping up grad school. I know retake is the mantra here but I am OK with not retaking. I'd just like to know, at face value, what you think my chances would be.

I'd love to receive any feedback about what anyone thinks my chances are with a 157.

For me, retaking the LSAT is not feasible now, and frankly, the test is not very important to me. I am OK with not retaking because I have had a lot of different experiences, like internships and other work positions, I have published and I already have working connections in the environmental field in two geographical regions. However, this does not mean that I wouldn't love to get into the highest ranked program possible, which is why I'm asking what everyone thinks my chances are.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Retake

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:34 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:I know a 160 would be prime, but I have some family circumstances going on right now and retaking can't happen, and plus I'm wrapping up grad school. I know retake is the mantra here but I am OK with not retaking. I'd just like to know, at face value, what you think my chances would be.

For me, retaking the LSAT is not feasible now, and frankly, the test is not very important to me. I am OK with not retaking because I have had a lot of different experiences, like internships and other work positions, I have published and I already have working connections in the environmental field in two geographical regions. However, this does not mean that I wouldn't love to get into the highest ranked program possible, which is why I'm asking what everyone thinks my chances are.

I would bet that UVA, Cornell, and Penn are the only T14s you've applied to that you have a shot at, though it will be a crapshoot. I think you're in at all the other non-T14s.

ETA: Sorry, I just realized you're Hispanic, my comments were in regards to an AA-boost. Penn is out. UVA is out if you're not in-state. Slim chance at Cornell.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:
ETA: Sorry, I just realized you're Hispanic, my comments were in regards to an AA-boost. Penn is out. UVA is out if you're not in-state. Slim chance at Cornell.

I was kind of thinking that as well....I'm not a VA resident, either. I'd be really excited about GW though, if that works out!

Return to “What are my chances?”