MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:28 pm

.
Last edited by juzam_djinn on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby glitter178 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:33 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:Hey guys,

I finished my UG last year at MIT in EE. Bad news is, I have a 3.01 GPA (please don't laugh at me). I took the LSAT last year once and got a 167, studied some more and just retook in Dec. However, the test was pretty brutal so I don't think I scored too high on it (hoping to be pleasantly surprised).

I'm just wondering, for applying next cycle, what my realistic target schools are. I know my GPA is terrible, and that rigor of college can only help so much. I really would love to go to a T30 though, and if by some miracle I could get into a USC/UCLA that'd be great (family in the area).

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and advice!


are you a URM? The only way you are getting a chance of getting into usc or ucla is by bumping up that LSAT into the 170's. UCLA might be interested in the MIT, though not without at least a 173.

I

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm not URM, what about any T30 schools in general? Long shot at all of them?

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby glitter178 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:52 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm not URM, what about any T30 schools in general? Long shot at all of them?


General consensus is that splitters (what i think you are, though i think you really need to bump up the LSAT a few points) have "unpredictable" cycles. I'd blanket the T30 with applications. Honestly, there are going to be a lot of schools that hate your GPA; however, graduating from MIT with a usuable degree is pretty badass. Someone will bite. On top of that, ED to your fav place, that'll give you a bit of a boost. I'd seriously recommend studying your ass off and retaking the LSAT a third time to try to get in the 170's. Do that, and you'll be able to crack the T 14.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:52 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm not URM, what about any T30 schools in general? Long shot at all of them?

You might have a shot at Davis. Are you going for IP?

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby czelede » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

UCLA is a bit of a GPA whore, so I don't know how accurate that advice is. But retake is TCR - seriously, if you aren't applying until next cycle just bring that test up by even three measly points and your prospects will be looking so much shinier. You have six months until the June administration - you can do it!

As it is now though, Illinois *might* be willing to give you time of day - from anecdotal evidence they are pretty receptive of engineering undergrads and the accompanying grade deflation.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby glitter178 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:59 pm

czelede wrote:UCLA is a bit of a GPA whore, so I don't know how accurate that advice is. But retake is TCR - seriously, if you aren't applying until next cycle just bring that test up by even three measly points and your prospects will be looking so much shinier. You have six months until the June administration - you can do it!

As it is now though, Illinois *might* be willing to give you time of day - from anecdotal evidence they are pretty receptive of engineering undergrads and the accompanying grade deflation.


i'm not saying that's going to get OP in ... just that retaking the LSAT will help the chances. UCLA is a bit of a grade whore, but they are a bit of a prestige whore too, and MIT is pretty impressive. I think it's worth the app fee.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:04 pm

This user from lsn was also an EE and pulled some pretty solid acceptances with a worse gpa/better lsat. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nottaxlaw

You need to boost your lsat though. Also nayboer and df from TLS were engineers I believe. They both pulled northwestern with ED and higher lsats. Your best bet is to retake for a 170+ and ED to uva/nu/ucla depending on what you like. UCLA would still probably be a longshot since they like gpa, but its not impossible.

If you're against another retake then wustl, uiuc, w&l, and gw should get apps from you and a smattering of other schools in that range. Its hard to predict what kind of boost you'll get if any.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone! That gives me some hope, but I'm not sure how realistic it will be for me =/

I studied a lot more for this Dec. lsat, and was pt'ing in the mid to high 170's, but walking out of that test I don't feel too good about it. Oh well, guess we'll see in a few weeks =).

Thanks again for the help.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Also, yes I was leaning towards doing patent law. I'll also have 1 full year of solid work experience by the time I apply (big tech company). I guess we'll see how it goes.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:36 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone! That gives me some hope, but I'm not sure how realistic it will be for me =/

I studied a lot more for this Dec. lsat, and was pt'ing in the mid to high 170's, but walking out of that test I don't feel too good about it. Oh well, guess we'll see in a few weeks =).

Thanks again for the help.


Good luck man. If you're pt'ing that high, go for the gold. Law school will still be there in a year or 2 and I'm sure you can get a job with that degree to hold you over. Retake as many times as necessary. Wustl, uiuc, etc. (Solid chance of acceptance) are a damn good opportunity for us splitters, but you never want to sell yourself short.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby ATR » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:54 pm

From what I've read, some of the Midwestern schools are splitter-friendly - Illinois, Indiana, Washington U., Minnesota come to mind. However, that's usually for 170+ test takers. Check LSN and see if anyone has a profile similar to yours.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:36 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
juzam_djinn wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone! That gives me some hope, but I'm not sure how realistic it will be for me =/

I studied a lot more for this Dec. lsat, and was pt'ing in the mid to high 170's, but walking out of that test I don't feel too good about it. Oh well, guess we'll see in a few weeks =).

Thanks again for the help.


Good luck man. If you're pt'ing that high, go for the gold. Law school will still be there in a year or 2 and I'm sure you can get a job with that degree to hold you over. Retake as many times as necessary. Wustl, uiuc, etc. (Solid chance of acceptance) are a damn good opportunity for us splitters, but you never want to sell yourself short.


Thanks man I'll definitely look into those schools, looks like atresia also recommends them. Also...Go Celtics! haha.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 am

OP you still have another shot at the LSAT if December didn't go as planned. Definately want to take advantage of being part of a small minority that practices 175+. It's unfortunate you took engineering, if you knew you were going into law you should have picked something that would have allowed you to get higher grades. But you have a shot hard work pays off.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby juzam_djinn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks kkklick. If I did have to retake it, it'd be my 3rd time though. I've heard that it's really bad to take it 3 times, is that true?

Oh well, learned a lot in undergrad, and I'm ready for a complete 180 in terms of material in law school, haha.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:28 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:Hey guys,

I finished my UG last year at MIT in EE. Bad news is, I have a 3.01 GPA (please don't laugh at me). I took the LSAT last year once and got a 167, studied some more and just retook in Dec. However, the test was pretty brutal so I don't think I scored too high on it (hoping to be pleasantly surprised).

I'm just wondering, for applying next cycle, what my realistic target schools are. I know my GPA is terrible, and that rigor of college can only help so much. I really would love to go to a T30 though, and if by some miracle I could get into a USC/UCLA that'd be great (family in the area).

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and advice!


If you want IT---look at GWU. You might have a shot there.

User avatar
Dex
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby Dex » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:33 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:Thanks kkklick. If I did have to retake it, it'd be my 3rd time though. I've heard that it's really bad to take it 3 times, is that true?

Oh well, learned a lot in undergrad, and I'm ready for a complete 180 in terms of material in law school, haha.


Nothing wrong with taking it a third time, few schools average the scores these days.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:16 pm

I bet Wash U and Emory would take OP.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby juzam_djinn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:31 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I bet Wash U and Emory would take OP.


Thanks supravin! I would worry about placements for those schools though, I really want to end up in one of the big markets preferably CA, for all the IP/Patent work there. Not sure if I could get that with these schools. It feels like I'd have to be ranked near the top of my class for that (is this a false belief on my part?) and reading about how precarious law school grades are, I really don't want to take that bet.

Dex wrote:[Nothing wrong with taking it a third time, few schools average the scores these days.


Thanks dex, hope I won't have to find this out first hand =/

User avatar
Deep Trench
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby Deep Trench » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Come on. You are PT'ing 175+. Retake again and again until you hit at least 170. If you don't get it on your third test, ask for a waiver to take it again. If you fail again, wait out two years and take it again. If you really think you have 175+ in you, don't settle for 167, especially with your GPA.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby juzam_djinn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Deep Trench wrote:Come on. You are PT'ing 175+. Retake again and again until you hit at least 170. If you don't get it on your third test, ask for a waiver to take it again. If you fail again, wait out two years and take it again. If you really think you have 175+ in you, don't settle for 167, especially with your GPA.


haha, I know you're right. Well, I still don't know about Dec., but it's just that I really didn't feel good about the test. Not to turn this into an LSAT discussion forum, but my last section was LG, and I had to guess on 4 problems in the last game. Just ran out of time, hasn't really happened before to me, and like most others LG is something I count on getting perfect =/

but yeah, my last 4 preps have been 173-177, and I haven't gotten lower than a 170 since I started prepping for this second time. It just feels discouraging to potentially underperform for the first time in so long on the actual test that matters.

User avatar
Deep Trench
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby Deep Trench » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:23 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:
Deep Trench wrote:Come on. You are PT'ing 175+. Retake again and again until you hit at least 170. If you don't get it on your third test, ask for a waiver to take it again. If you fail again, wait out two years and take it again. If you really think you have 175+ in you, don't settle for 167, especially with your GPA.


haha, I know you're right. Well, I still don't know about Dec., but it's just that I really didn't feel good about the test. Not to turn this into an LSAT discussion forum, but my last section was LG, and I had to guess on 4 problems in the last game. Just ran out of time, hasn't really happened before to me, and like most others LG is something I count on getting perfect =/

but yeah, my last 4 preps have been 173-177, and I haven't gotten lower than a 170 since I started prepping for this second time. It just feels discouraging to potentially underperform for the first time in so long on the actual test that matters.


I hear that LG on the Dec test was tough. I think you have a good chance of hitting 170+ if you did well in the other sections.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby juzam_djinn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks hope that's the case.

p.s. Love the avatar. Haven't watched Slam Dunk in the longest time, forgot how they end that manga haha.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby bk1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Retake until you get a 172+. Higher than that is largely irrelevant considering any school that would let you in with a 3.0/175 would do it with a 3.0/172 (i.e. splitter friendly schools like UVa/GULC/etc) and any school that wouldn't let you in with a 3.0/172 would still not do it even if you were a 3.0/175 (i.e UChi, Berkeley, etc).

User avatar
Deep Trench
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: MIT Engineering UG, bad GPA =(

Postby Deep Trench » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:08 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:Thanks hope that's the case.

p.s. Love the avatar. Haven't watched Slam Dunk in the longest time, forgot how they end that manga haha.


You probably don't remember the ending because it was very abrupt and kind of lame. It was like beating Duke to reach the Sweet Sixteen was the end of the story. I seriously thought and hoped that there would be a sequel, but it never happened.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GruffGadfly, trebekismyhero and 4 guests