Duke, UVA, among others (should I ED round 2?) 170 and 3.74

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
UnbelievableForum23

Duke, UVA, among others (should I ED round 2?) 170 and 3.74

Postby UnbelievableForum23 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 pm

So, I posted this in the choosing index, but upon submission, I figured this was the more appropriate forum. I want to do big-law. I don't really care where (except I don't really want to go to NYC and I would slightly prefer Cali, DC, or Texas). So, here is where I am. I go to Amherst College, have a 3.74 and a 170. I am a senior (with good softs for a person still in college - student senate - debate team awards - involved in college committees). The problem is, I don't know if I should ED to either UVA or Duke (I like Duke a little more). I have a preference for schools with good quality of life and weather, but it again, is a slight one.

170; 3.74; texas resident

I applied to:

Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Berkeley
Penn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
Texas
Vandy
USC
WashU

I got a little carried away. The reason why I didn't ED Duke in the first place, is that I wanted to consider merit aid options. Whar are your thoughts?

vicuna

Re: Duke, UVA, among others (should I ED round 2?) 170 and 3.74

Postby vicuna » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:23 am

I think you were wise to go RD to Duke. You have a strong shot at not only an acceptance, but also at least 40k or so.

I'll take a shot here considering we have very similar numbers. Unfortunately, we are both borderline at several schools. Your softs seem potentially below average. How is your personal statement/recs? Berkeley, in particular, really values strong softs (especially relating to serving the underprivileged).

When did you submit your apps? That will also make a difference with a few of these. UVA is especially tricky. You'd be a slam dunk if you went ED, but a WL is probably likely for both of us as OOS RDers.

Rejected: Harvard, Stanford
Waitlisted: Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Boalt, UVA
In: the rest, with $$ from all except maybe Penn and Georgetown

UnbelievableForum23

Re: Duke, UVA, among others (should I ED round 2?) 170 and 3.74

Postby UnbelievableForum23 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:45 pm

i applied over thanksgiving. Yeah, I pretty much gave up on UVA and Boalt. Still nervous on Duke (because the class size is so small)

Return to “What are my chances?”