3.9 GPA and 171 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
parsi

3.9 GPA and 171 LSAT

Postby parsi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:28 am

hey guys! first time here

I gotta 3.9 GPA (business econ and poli sci double major) and a 171 LSAT, besides that not too much else special besides working all thru college career sellin phones

Was hoping to get into Harvard, NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, and Stanford

Na_Swatch

Re: 3.9 GPA and 171 LSAT

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:34 am

parsi wrote:hey guys! first time here

I gotta 3.9 GPA (business econ and poli sci double major) and a 171 LSAT, besides that not too much else special besides working all thru college career sellin phones

Rough Chances:
Harvard - 30-35%
Columbia - 45-50%
NYU - 65-70%
Berkeley - If you tailor/ show strong interest 70%
Stanford - Who Knows?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:34 am

If you want HS then retake. C should be okay, NYU and B are pretty safe.

parsi

Postby parsi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:40 am

invisiblesun wrote:

Thanks guys...I also had a question about my letters...certain schools like cornell seem to ask for faculty letters only. If i have one TA letter and then a manager letter from work will this severely hinder me

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:47 am

parsi wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

Thanks guys...I also had a question about my letters...certain schools like cornell seem to ask for faculty letters only. If i have one TA letter and then a manager letter from work will this severely hinder me

You should probably get at least one Faculty letter for most of these schools

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:04 am

parsi wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

As someone noted to me, "usually if you want someone, in this case a law school, to do something for you then you usually do what they ask of you"

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 am

NYU is almost a lock, try for Chicago?

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:49 am

parsi wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

From what I understand two academic letters should be the default. Personally I didn't get any from faculty, only from TAs/grad student instructors. That manager letter should probably be your third LoR though, with two academic ones coming first

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:49 am

Poli Sci/Econ 170/3.96 here and I just got into NYU. Depending on when you applied, you should be good.

No JR1 from Harvard for me, so I'm assuming thats a waitlist or a reject. I'll let you know about Chicago and Columbia in January.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:50 am

The 2/3 letter thing always confused me. I heard from some that you should only include 3 if they are all very strong, while others say include 3 just to pad your app. I sent 2 but they were very strong, couple with a very strong PS should be enough.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:30 pm

kkklick wrote:The 2/3 letter thing always confused me. I heard from some that you should only include 3 if they are all very strong, while others say include 3 just to pad your app. I sent 2 but they were very strong, couple with a very strong PS should be enough.

2 seems to be fine, I only used 2 decent ones in my cycle for every school I applied to

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Berkeley is almost never safe. They actually put effort into reading apps.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Harvard - out, period. sorry, but 3.9/171 is not 3.9/173
Stanford - out, you have the right numbers, but they care about softs a ton too, so you are gone
Berkeley - shot, because your numbers offset your lack of softs somewhat
NYU - in, just below LSAT median, at 75% GPA, they have been giving ED and RD acceptances to beef up their GPA ranges so far.
CLS- good chance, not lock like NYU
Chicago - in

apply to Michigan, UVA and Duke too for $$ if you want/need it.

Applying this late in the cycle is negatively impacting your chances.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:44 am

dissonance1848 wrote:Harvard - out, period. sorry, but 3.9/171 is not 3.9/173
Stanford - out, you have the right numbers, but they care about softs a ton too, so you are gone
Berkeley - shot, because your numbers offset your lack of softs somewhat
NYU - in, just below LSAT median, at 75% GPA, they have been giving ED and RD acceptances to beef up their GPA ranges so far.
CLS- good chance, not lock like NYU
Chicago - in

apply to Michigan, UVA and Duke too for $$ if you want/need it.

Applying this late in the cycle is negatively impacting your chances.

I wouldn't say "out, period" at Harvard. I know someone who just had a JR1 with a 169 and a slightly higher GPA. She apparently has good softs as well, but still probably worth the application fee. You are right though that it is a bit late in the cycle.

For everywhere else, I'd say out at Stanford since OP lacks good softs, good shot at Berkeley if OP can write a good PS, in at Chicago/NYU, and fairly good shot at Columbia, but maybe slightly less a chance than at Berkeley. YMMV

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:04 am

Same stats as you. I worked through college and had some good college leadership stuff like SG president. Also had a masters of public administration when I applied.
Here was my cycle:

Stanford: Reject
Berkeley: Reject
Michigan: Waitlist
UVA: Waitlist
Duke: Accept + $$
Illinois: Accept with full ride
Indiana Bloomington: Waitlist (Screw them)
Ohio State: Accept + $$

Kinda rough. Not sure why. I thought I had some stuff going for me. better luck to you.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:42 am

cavebat2000 wrote:

Same stats as you. I worked through college and had some good college leadership stuff like SG president. Also had a masters of public administration when I applied.
Here was my cycle:

Kinda rough. Not sure why. I thought I had some stuff going for me. better luck to you.

Ouch, that is rough with your numbers. Did you apply late? How good was your UG?

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:19 am

Yea that doesn't make much sense.

Mustard Blood

Postby Mustard Blood » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:25 am

invisiblesun wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:

Here was my cycle:

Ouch, that is rough with your numbers. Did you apply late? How good was your UG?

It's too early in the morning for this much sadness.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:26 am

cavebat2000 wrote:

Here was my cycle:

Seriously, that's a pretty awful cycle. I would say you must have either applied late, put together horrible apps, or have a serious criminal record.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:58 am

weejonbu wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:

Here was my cycle:

Seriously, that's a pretty awful cycle. I would say you must have either applied late, put together horrible apps, or have a serious criminal record.

I don't think its that crazy. Rejects from SB are reasonable. IU-B is obviously a YP. UVA and Mich surprise me, but UVA RD OOS is a tough nut to crack. Definitely should have applied to more T14s.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:47 pm

weejonbu wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:

Here was my cycle:

Yeah it was, but then again applications were up 25% last year and I dunno if that is going to be true this year.

I am not a crook! haha
Also, I applied to all schools by thanksgiving.
My apps came with an excellent resume and great recs.
My guess is they didn't like my personal statement or supplementals or my undergrad (Tier 3). My first LSAT score was a 160 2.5 years ago and so I wrote an addendum explaining that, including the notion that I seem to underperform on standardized tests in general (e.g. 24 on ACT = ouch).

parsi

Postby parsi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:54 am

I should be finishing up all my apps the apps right before New years...

How will I be affected by applying so late?

I should probably be a bit more specific: I have worked at t-mobile selling phones since the end of my freshman year till present time. about 30/hrs a week and got a letter from my manager stressing how i clown at work and school at the same time

I also was in a fraternity for 4 years and held some positions

I think NYU or Berkeley is where I really want to go but I also applied to UCLA, USC, HYS, Col/corn, duke, michigan, chicago, penn, and Georgetown

Also: I did poorly my fall quarter of my senior year, but my transcript is already at LSAC...will i be negatively affected by this? I got a couple of C+s

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:09 pm

out all all if u really did get a couple of c+'s

No doubt out at all...

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:17 pm

parsi wrote:I should be finishing up all my apps the apps right before New years...

How will I be affected by applying so late?

I should probably be a bit more specific: I have worked at t-mobile selling phones since the end of my freshman year till present time. about 30/hrs a week and got a letter from my manager stressing how i clown at work and school at the same time

I also was in a fraternity for 4 years and held some positions

I think NYU or Berkeley is where I really want to go but I also applied to UCLA, USC, HYS, Col/corn, duke, michigan, chicago, penn, and Georgetown

Also: I did poorly my fall quarter of my senior year, but my transcript is already at LSAC...will i be negatively affected by this? I got a couple of C+s

Dude.... :|

Seriously? Why would you go and fuck yourself over like that??? You just barred yourself out of T6 and Berkley and probably the rest of the T14 due to late apps.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:21 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:

Here was my cycle:

Did you write the Why X essays for UVA and Mich? I got WLed from those with slightly lower numbers than you and I got the feeling thats because I didn't write those.
Last edited by Ragged on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “What are my chances?”