4.0/151 Ole Miss

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
KYExtemper

4.0/151 Ole Miss

Postby KYExtemper » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:54 pm

I had posted on here earlier, but I decided to cancel my LSAT score from today. I have a 151 in the bank (not where I want it to be), but I've looked a lot at Ole Miss and like it. My GPA is .5 above their median, but my LSAT is in their 25 percentile, so it's a big splitter. I have teacher certification (and am finishing up a graduate degree this year), so I could go back to teaching for a year or so to study for the LSAT and get myself up a lot higher. I just have some bad test anxiety on these things and I know I rushed into December from my October test.

I guess what I'd like to know is do you think I have a shot there, or am I just wasting the $52 or whatever it will cost to apply? Any and all advice is appreciated, as always.

Perch

Re: 4.0/151 Ole Miss

Postby Perch » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:58 pm

retake, seriously with a 4.0 how could you not? even if you have to wait to next cycle.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:03 pm

KYExtemper wrote:I had posted on here earlier, but I decided to cancel my LSAT score from today. I have a 151 in the bank (not where I want it to be), but I've looked a lot at Ole Miss and like it. My GPA is .5 above their median, but my LSAT is in their 25 percentile, so it's a big splitter. I have teacher certification (and am finishing up a graduate degree this year), so I could go back to teaching for a year or so to study for the LSAT and get myself up a lot higher. I just have some bad test anxiety on these things and I know I rushed into December from my October test.

I guess what I'd like to know is do you think I have a shot there, or am I just wasting the $52 or whatever it will cost to apply? Any and all advice is appreciated, as always.

whats the highest practice LSAT score you've gotten?

its getting late in the app cycle, maybe wait a yr

how long have you studied for the LSAT?

where do you want to practice after graduation?

is there a lot of MONEY in that bank where your 151 LSAT is kept? lol

these are the questions you have to answer before retake, though there is a heavy burden on NOT retaking when you have a 4.0 lol

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:09 pm

If you want better scholarships and career prospects, RETAKE. You're throwing away your GPA. It actually is worth it to wait a year and study.

KYExtemper

Postby KYExtemper » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. I want to practice in the south (I'm from Kentucky as my board name attests). My highest score on a practice LSAT was 162 (could've been a 163 without a bubbling mistake). I've studied for three months for the LSAT, but it's all self-study with the Powerscore Bibles and taking PT's. I wonder if taking a class would be better since I learn best in those types of environments when someone is walking me through the process. I've got $9k in savings from my last teaching gig that I've never touched. Not a ton of money, but it's there.

Again, thanks for the replies.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:50 pm

KYExtemper wrote:Thanks for the replies so far. I want to practice in the south (I'm from Kentucky as my board name attests). My highest score on a practice LSAT was 162 (could've been a 163 without a bubbling mistake). I've studied for three months for the LSAT, but it's all self-study with the Powerscore Bibles and taking PT's. I wonder if taking a class would be better since I learn best in those types of environments when someone is walking me through the process. I've got $9k in savings from my last teaching gig that I've never touched. Not a ton of money, but it's there.

RETAKE. Sounds like a class might be a good idea since you learn best that way and can afford it. Continue to take as many PTs as you can though, not just the ones you do in a class.

Also, glad to know you're from Kentucky and aren't just really into lube.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:52 pm

KYExtemper wrote:Thanks for the replies so far. I want to practice in the south (I'm from Kentucky as my board name attests). My highest score on a practice LSAT was 162 (could've been a 163 without a bubbling mistake). I've studied for three months for the LSAT, but it's all self-study with the Powerscore Bibles and taking PT's. I wonder if taking a class would be better since I learn best in those types of environments when someone is walking me through the process. I've got $9k in savings from my last teaching gig that I've never touched. Not a ton of money, but it's there.

hm, maybe take a class or study some more and get that score to the upper 160's and retake and hope for that

that'd open the door to UTexas, UVA, and Duke

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:07 pm

You'll probably get into Ole Miss with those numbers. Tuition is cheap if you can get in state tuition. You'll either work in Mississippi or you'll be unemployed. If you're fine with that, go for it.

Return to “What are my chances?”