UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yam
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 am

UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby yam » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:18 am

I'm an experienced engineer (10+ years in semiconductors) with a technical masters degree and a business masters degree. I have been continuously employed in high tech throughout the various downturns of the last decade.

Having pretty much topped out my technical career prospects in my mid-thirties, I'm now thinking about going into law. I've taken a couple of practice LSATs and scored 170 on both of them. I think I could add a couple points with prep work. My undergrad GPA (engineering) is 2.7 and my graduate GPA is 3.6. Each of my degrees is from a well respected university.

I live in the Austin TX area. I've reviewed the admissions scatterplots and see that I could get into any of the other schools in Texas, but I need to remain in Austin. Moving and/or commuting to SMU, Baylor,or Houston is not an option for me.

I'm considering working as a patent agent for a year or two to get some experience in intellectual property and also hopefully improve my admission chances. However once I step off the engineering track into patent agent work it would be difficult to switch back.

Please comment on my chances of getting into UT Austin? Are my LSAT and soft qualifications enough to overcome my low undergrad gpa from nearly twenty years ago?

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby skers » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:23 am

Come back when you have a real score.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:25 am

yam wrote:I'm an experienced engineer (10+ years in semiconductors) with a technical masters degree and a business masters degree. I have been continuously employed in high tech throughout the various downturns of the last decade.

Having pretty much topped out my technical career prospects in my mid-thirties, I'm now thinking about going into law. I've taken a couple of practice LSATs and scored 170 on both of them. I think I could add a couple points with prep work. My undergrad GPA (engineering) is 2.7 and my graduate GPA is 3.6. Each of my degrees is from a well respected university.

I live in the Austin TX area. I've reviewed the admissions scatterplots and see that I could get into any of the other schools in Texas, but I need to remain in Austin. Moving and/or commuting to SMU, Baylor,or Houston is not an option for me.

I'm considering working as a patent agent for a year or two to get some experience in intellectual property and also hopefully improve my admission chances. However once I step off the engineering track into patent agent work it would be difficult to switch back.

Please comment on my chances of getting into UT Austin? Are my LSAT and soft qualifications enough to overcome my low undergrad gpa from nearly twenty years ago?

Unfortunately, UT seems to have a GPA floor around 3.5 or so. I don't see any way you're getting in with that GPA even if you scored 180 on the LSAT. I don't even think URM will overcome a GPA that low. Sorry. UT is just not friendly to splitters. Patent work is unlikely to help your chances at UT.
Last edited by JazzOne on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:26 am

Your grad degree will be a slight soft factor, but the GPA won't be considered. It the UG GPA they care about. Additional work experience is neither necessary nor sufficient. You have enough WE to get whatever boost it will give you. With regard to whether your LSAT and WE will overcome your GPA: you don't currently have an LSAT score and your GPA will hurt you... a lot. UT seems to have a hard GPA floor of about 3.45 ish. Quite a few mid 172+ <3.45s were rejected. keep working on your LSAT prep, that should be your priority.

see LSN graphs:
http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:29 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Your grad degree will be a slight soft factor, but the GPA won't be considered. It the UG GPA they care about. Additional work experience is neither necessary nor sufficient. You have enough WE to get whatever boost it will give you. With regard to whether your LSAT and WE will overcome your GPA: you don't currently have an LSAT score and your GPA will hurt you... a lot. UT seems to have a hard GPA floor of about 3.45 ish. Quite a few mid 172+ <3.45s were rejected. keep working on your LSAT prep, that should be your priority.

see LSN graphs:
http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I think OP is wasting his time with LSAT prep unless he's willing to consider other schools.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby gambelda » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:36 am

JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Your grad degree will be a slight soft factor, but the GPA won't be considered. It the UG GPA they care about. Additional work experience is neither necessary nor sufficient. You have enough WE to get whatever boost it will give you. With regard to whether your LSAT and WE will overcome your GPA: you don't currently have an LSAT score and your GPA will hurt you... a lot. UT seems to have a hard GPA floor of about 3.45 ish. Quite a few mid 172+ <3.45s were rejected. keep working on your LSAT prep, that should be your priority.

see LSN graphs:
http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I think OP is wasting his time with LSAT prep unless he's willing to consider other schools.


+1. Though 10 years WE and a 170 LSAT could probably get him into NU ED? I know a 2.7 is substantially lower than the usual 3.0 floor, but 10 years of solid WE makes him a very nontraditional applicant.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby skers » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:44 am

gambelda wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Your grad degree will be a slight soft factor, but the GPA won't be considered. It the UG GPA they care about. Additional work experience is neither necessary nor sufficient. You have enough WE to get whatever boost it will give you. With regard to whether your LSAT and WE will overcome your GPA: you don't currently have an LSAT score and your GPA will hurt you... a lot. UT seems to have a hard GPA floor of about 3.45 ish. Quite a few mid 172+ <3.45s were rejected. keep working on your LSAT prep, that should be your priority.

see LSN graphs:
http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I think OP is wasting his time with LSAT prep unless he's willing to consider other schools.


+1. Though 10 years WE and a 170 LSAT could probably get him into NU ED? I know a 2.7 is substantially lower than the usual 3.0 floor, but 10 years of solid WE makes him a very nontraditional applicant.



I'm guessing he has a family in the UT area. If he can't commute to SMU, I doubt he would move to Chicago.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby txadv11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:52 am

Basically the short answer is, because schools typically publish 25/75 and median GPA and LSAT, they could EASILY let in 2.5's 2.0's 140's w/e...etc if they wanted or had a reason to.... for some reason they don't want to.... even for a career-professional with a high LSAT.

A GPA floor of 3.5 is absurd. Given your work experience you should be a good candidate...although like above, I'm not sure it will make a difference.

yam
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby yam » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Yes, I've got family in the area. If I went elsewhere in TX, I would be commuting back to Austin on the weekends. Frankly the family time is more important to me than the career options.

I'm curious about the comment that patent agent work would not help me get into UT. I had thought it would show aptitude as well as interest, and hopefully get a good letter of recommendation. Is this not likely to help?

What is NU ED?

Are there any other options for me?

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:06 pm

JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Your grad degree will be a slight soft factor, but the GPA won't be considered. It the UG GPA they care about. Additional work experience is neither necessary nor sufficient. You have enough WE to get whatever boost it will give you. With regard to whether your LSAT and WE will overcome your GPA: you don't currently have an LSAT score and your GPA will hurt you... a lot. UT seems to have a hard GPA floor of about 3.45 ish. Quite a few mid 172+ <3.45s were rejected. keep working on your LSAT prep, that should be your priority.

see LSN graphs:
http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I think OP is wasting his time with LSAT prep unless he's willing to consider other schools.

This. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FutureJAG/jd

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:08 pm

I had a similar experience. Got rejected by UT quick, ended up attending T14. UT just does not like splitters, even ones with significant WE. I would still recommend that OP apply, but OP should realize he has much, much better odds at lower T14 than he does at UT.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby txadv11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 pm

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... AC6882.pdf


scroll down to the bottom of the page.
3 people out of around 500 applicants below 3.0 were admitted.
Last edited by txadv11 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 pm

yam wrote:Yes, I've got family in the area. If I went elsewhere in TX, I would be commuting back to Austin on the weekends. Frankly the family time is more important to me than the career options.

I'm curious about the comment that patent agent work would not help me get into UT. I had thought it would show aptitude as well as interest, and hopefully get a good letter of recommendation. Is this not likely to help?

What is NU ED?

Are there any other options for me?

Unfortunately, because of the USNWR rankings, law schools are primarily concerned with GPA and LSAT. Work experience and recommendation letters will not make up for a GPA that is so far below their floor. NU ED refers to the early decision application at Northwestern.

I think your best bet is SMU. It's close enough to Austin to come home on the weekends, and SMU places well in Texas.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:12 pm

txadv11 wrote:http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_PDFs/LSAC_LawSchoolDescription/LSAC6882.pdf


scroll down to the bottom of the page.
3 people out of around 500 applicants below 3.0 were admitted.

Probably URMs

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby txadv11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:14 pm

I just love what the schools say on websites/lsac.org

UT "As a general rule, there are no presumptive numbers. Every application completed and submitted is reviewed in its entirety. Each applicant must take the LSAT and have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum grade-point average of 2.2 as calculated by the...."

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby txadv11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:16 pm

JazzOne wrote:
txadv11 wrote:http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_PDFs/LSAC_LawSchoolDescription/LSAC6882.pdf


scroll down to the bottom of the page.
3 people out of around 500 applicants below 3.0 were admitted.

Probably URMs

Yep, or family of Perry or something lol.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby JazzOne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 pm

txadv11 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
txadv11 wrote:http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_PDFs/LSAC_LawSchoolDescription/LSAC6882.pdf


scroll down to the bottom of the page.
3 people out of around 500 applicants below 3.0 were admitted.

Probably URMs

Yep, or family of Perry or something lol.

George Bush got rejected from UT Law, so I'm not sure Perry has a enough clout to push his relatives in.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby txadv11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:19 pm

JazzOne wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
txadv11 wrote:http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_PDFs/LSAC_LawSchoolDescription/LSAC6882.pdf


scroll down to the bottom of the page.
3 people out of around 500 applicants below 3.0 were admitted.

Probably URMs

Yep, or family of Perry or something lol.

George Bush got rejected from UT Law, so I'm not sure Perry has a enough clout to push his relatives in.


That is crazy. I have a close relative that transfered there from a TTTT4 Texas school in the 1970's....
Times have changed.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UT Austin or bust! Experienced splitter in need of some hope

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:21 pm

If you want the best school you can get into, get that 170+ and apply Early Decision to Northwestern next year.

If you absolutely must stay in Texas, UT is 100% out with your low GPA regardless of LSAT, work experience, LORs, or whatever. I'd look into SMU/UH/Baylor.

If even those 3 are too far, then your only option for law school is St. Mary's in San Antonio.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests