Scholar w 172, 3.85: Odds?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
r6_philly

Re: Scholar w 172, 3.85: Odds?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:40 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:If Native American is not URM, then it really should be.

She said Indian American, not American Indian. I.e., she is of Southeast Asian descent but was born in the US.

Indian is NOT Southeast Asian.

Whoops, haha, yeah South Asian I meant. Particularly bad since I am Indian. :oops:

Haha, then you should know people from the Indian subcontinent don't like to be called/grouped/categorized as Asians (normally referring only to East/Southeast Asians)

sheela

Postby sheela » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm sure Native American is URM, but I'm Indian (well, born in America, but ethnically Indian). There are literally a billion of us.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:Haha, then you should know people from the Indian subcontinent don't like to be called/grouped/categorized as Asians (normally referring only to East/Southeast Asians)

Actually, I find it quite annoying that people in the US don't seem to understand that India is in Asia. Typical response: "I thought India was in the Middle East."
Last edited by mrmangs on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 pm

The OP's chances for admission to Harvard Law School should be well above average due to her accomplishments & qualifications. Yale is a much more difficult call due to the small number of students admitted to each class. Strong candidate for Stanford if essays are well written, compelling & confident, not cocky.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:46 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Haha, then you should know people from the Indian subcontinent don't like to be called/grouped/categorized as Asians (normally referring only to East/Southeast Asians)

Actually, I find it quite annoying that people in the US don't seem to understand that India is in Asia. Typical response: "I thought India was in the Middle East."

But most of the Middle East is in Asia.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:47 pm

sheela wrote:I'm sure Native American is URM, but I'm Indian (well, born in America, but ethnically Indian). There are literally a billion of us.

Then you shouldn't be considered a minority either then. A billion...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:48 pm

mrmangs wrote:

That's because a large part of Middle East is also in Asia but no one wants to acknowledge that. Probably because the East Asians don't like it. :lol:

Think about us "orientals" no one can tell what's what. It's usually just all Chinese.

sheela

Postby sheela » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Also, out of curiosity, I know by default that my numbers are not considered spectacular, and yet they are around the median for acceptance at HYS, so why does it seem I'm an unlikely acceptance?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
sheela wrote:I'm sure Native American is URM, but I'm Indian (well, born in America, but ethnically Indian). There are literally a billion of us.

Then you shouldn't be considered a minority either then. A billion...

There are almost twice as many Chinese out there.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:50 pm

sheela wrote:Also, out of curiosity, I know by default that my numbers are not considered spectacular, and yet they are around the median for acceptance at HYS, so why does it seem I'm an unlikely acceptance?

Don't listen to all the people here who will tell you to not apply. APPLY to all three and perhaps you will get into one of them. And I think your LSAT is spectacular. :)

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:50 pm

im_blue wrote:
mrmangs wrote:

But most of the Middle East is in Asia.

True, Eurasia is full of nebulous geographical distinctions. In any case, the people I'm talking about don't know any of that.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:50 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The OP's chances for admission to Harvard Law School should be well above average due to her accomplishments & qualifications. Yale is a much more difficult call due to the small number of students admitted to each class. Strong candidate for Stanford if essays are well written, compelling & confident, not cocky.

OP referred to her self as a "scholar". What should we glean from that?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:51 pm

mrmangs wrote:True, Eurasia is full of nebulous geographical distinctions. In any case, the people I'm talking about don't know any of that.

They can see you are not white. End of story.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:51 pm

sheela wrote:Also, out of curiosity, I know by default that my numbers are not considered spectacular, and yet they are around the median for acceptance at HYS, so why does it seem I'm an unlikely acceptance?

HY are unlikely because your numbers are just below both of their medians (Yale 3.91/173, Harvard 3.89/173). Typically the vast majority of admits will have at least one number above median, and URMs fill up most of the below-both-median spots. However, HY do take a few non-URMs below both medians every year, and the Marshall Scholar gives you a chance.
Last edited by im_blue on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheela

Postby sheela » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Only that I felt "Marshall Scholar w 172, 3.85: Odds?" was getting a little long.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Mr Mangs, people in America can't find the country on a MAP!

That, I believe, is not even annoying, but just plain... I don't even know what to call it. But it is appalling.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:54 pm

sheela wrote:Only that I felt "Marshall Scholar w 172, 3.85: Odds?" was getting a little long.

lol but that's the tone of the title - by a lot.

I get it now. I think you have a shot at Yale if the professors reading the files like what you accomplished. So apply and good luck

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Don't listen to all the people here who will tell you to not apply. APPLY to all three and perhaps you will get into one of them. And I think your LSAT is spectacular. :)

No one told her not to apply. She is below both medians for Yale. She is below the median GPA for both H and S. Is sitting on H's median LSAT and S's 75th LSAT. Her softs are good but we're talking about HYS. Everyone's softs are good there. I still think her best chance is S, with H and Y likely out. H would be reasonable though. She should definitely apply, but I'm not going to get her hopes up by saying definitely in at all 3.

Also, when someone says Indian, they probably don't mean NA. I think we all
graduated from elementary school.

Edit: blue beat me to this comment about medians, haha. I thought H's LSAT 50 was 172 not 173 though?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Well to be fair, I did say who WILL tell you, not who TOLD you. You know as well as I that there are people on TLS who would tell her that it's useless to apply.

And I don't know if your last sentence was directed to me or to everyone in general but I knew the difference. :)

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:01 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

No one told her not to apply. She is below both medians for Yale. She is below the median GPA for both H and S. Is sitting on H's median LSAT and S's 75th LSAT. Her softs are good but we're talking about HYS. Everyone's softs are good there. I still think her best chance is S, with H and Y likely out. H would be reasonable though. She should definitely apply, but I'm not going to get her hopes up by saying definitely in at all 3.

Also, when someone says Indian, they probably don't mean NA. I think we all
graduated from elementary school.

Edit: blue beat me to this comment about medians, haha. I thought H's LSAT 50 was 172 not 173 though?

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA3457.pdf

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:06 pm

I meant everyone. I find the difference btween Indian and NA to be a ridiculous conversation. Thanks blue, I rely on LSN too much for numbers. I can't imagine anyone on TLS telling her not to apply. She absolutely should. I don't want to be the guy telling her enjoy Yale when she is below both medians though. Marshall is big, but it's still a numbers game.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEW0uXjhEBg

Your username reminds me of this video.

Also, H should definitely be attainable, not not certain by any means. Who knows about Y/S.

And enjoy CCN for sure!

sheela

Postby sheela » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Ugh, wish my LSAT had been 1 point higher (wish I hadn't taken it undisclosed in England! Then at least I'd know what happened). And wish they considered the GPA from my academic bachelor's (4.0) instead of or separately from my cumulative GPA (which includes both my bachelor degrees, one of which was was in music performance, where certain performance classes just don't give A's, no exceptions, none of those classes being remotely relevant to law school success). Ok, whining aside, can't do much for Harvard and Stanford now that my apps are submitted, but I CAN write me a kick-ass 250 for Yale. Hmm topic- ongoing stereotyping of Indians? jk jk

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:58 pm

I think im_blue got this right. Out of HY (below both medians is a kiss of death). Got a shot at S since you have a strong soft factor.

gambelda wrote:Have fun at any school you want to go to except for HYS. /thread.

ftfop

[Edit] you should definately apply to all three though just in case

Return to “What are my chances?”