Chances at Georgia??

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
plug1

Chances at Georgia??

Postby plug1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi, Im looking for some feedback. I have a 3.4 gpa and a 165 LSAT -- Colombian -- about a years work experience in Finance -- out of state

What would all you TLSers say my chances of acceptance are at UGA?

kehoema2

Re: Chances at Georgia??

Postby kehoema2 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 pm

You are EXACTLY at their 75% LSAT, 25% GPA. Sorry I'm not a URM so I never looked into and not positive if Colombian counts. Regardless I think it can only help your chances. I think you should feel good about Georgia.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 pm

feel good. 165 should make you safe with a decent GPA.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:25 pm

In state, sure acceptance. Out of state, not sure but that LSAT is above their medians so you should have a good shot... one thing it seems that they are accepting mostly in state right now due to some problems last year with "over-selling" so that might have some adverse affects for out of staters.

plug1

Postby plug1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks guys. So being at the 25th and 75th percentiles is a good bet?

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:35 pm

i'm at georgia right now. the median lsat for our class was 164 and median gpa was 3.7. i feel sure that we will be working for a 165 median this year. so, i think that you will get in. also, like the other poster said, did you identify yourself as a urm?

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Yes its a good bet. Also, although Columbian doesn't count as URM, there isn't much Hispanic diversity here, so that Columbian heritage will probably make them more interested in you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Last cycle pretty much any score 164 and over was in. Looking good. However, apply asap. Last year, OOS student got waitlisted in increasing numbers as the cycle went on.

plug1

Postby plug1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:39 pm

rapstar wrote:i'm at georgia right now. the median lsat for our class was 164 and median gpa was 3.7. i feel sure that we will be working for a 165 median this year. so, i think that you will get in. also, like the other poster said, did you identify yourself as a urm?

I think so. They asked if I was of hispanic origin ans I put yes. I also wrote a diversity statement if that helps at all.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:46 pm

plug1 wrote:
rapstar wrote:i'm at georgia right now. the median lsat for our class was 164 and median gpa was 3.7. i feel sure that we will be working for a 165 median this year. so, i think that you will get in. also, like the other poster said, did you identify yourself as a urm?

I think so. They asked if I was of hispanic origin ans I put yes. I also wrote a diversity statement if that helps at all.

as far as i know, people can just self-select into urm groups and then schools report those students who have done so. urm status will definitely help. is georgia your number one choice? and, do you have any other ties to the area?

plug1

Postby plug1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 pm

rapstar wrote:
plug1 wrote:

as far as i know, people can just self-select into urm groups and then schools report those students who have done so. urm status will definitely help. is georgia your number one choice? and, do you have any other ties to the area?

Georgia is my number one choice for schools that I think I can reasonably get into but I dont have any ties to the area other than some friends.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:00 pm

plug1 wrote:
rapstar wrote:
plug1 wrote:

Georgia is my number one choice for schools that I think I can reasonably get into but I dont have any ties to the area other than some friends.

i understand. well, when i made my decision to come to georgia it was mainly for financial reasons. in your position just know that most, if not all, out of state students will qualify for in-state tution during the 2nd and 3rd year. so, i think it's important to consider that georgia may save you 40k in tuition over the last two years alone (by that time it will probably be approximately 20k per year here compared to 40k at other places). also given your 165 and probable urm status i don't think that it would be out of the question for you to receive a first year scholarship that drops you to in-state levels, thus saving you another 15-20k. anyway, like the above posters said, you should apply asap if you haven't already. if at all possible i think it would be beneficial to visit the school in an effort to convey your sincere interest. good luck

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:32 am

no sweat - take your app/essays seriously though.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:36 am

rad law wrote:Last cycle pretty much any score 164 and over was in. Looking good. However, apply asap. Last year, OOS student got waitlisted in increasing numbers as the cycle went on.

+180.

I applied last semester, Early November, 3.01/165. Got in pretty quickly, was offered the in-state equalization scholarshp. Pretty much every one over a 164 got in.

HOWEVER

peolple with better numbers-- i remember a 166 3.1, oos- who applied later, got w/l'ed. So, get your app in ASAP. Also, I think their standards have gone up, the number of apps last year doubled or something.

Return to “What are my chances?”