Biology Majors out there?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
huttom84
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:05 am

Biology Majors out there?

Postby huttom84 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:36 am

Heeeeey so I'm pretty new to this whole TLS forum thing but i havent noticed toooo many biology majors out there so i'm wondering if there's a good reason for that (i.e. law schools generally dont like science majors) or is just because there isnt a whole lot of bio majors who wanna go to law school? my LSAT is bad but i have a decent GPA: 155/3.78 in human bio so was also curious if my gpa might help to carry my terrible LSAT a little more since my major is full of harder classes like organic chem, analytical chem, cardiovascular physiology, etc...not to say that no one elses majors are difficult i've just heard that the sciences carry a little heavier of a load...a info would be great!

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Biology Majors out there?

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:38 am

Retake. Seriously.

And yes there is a small boost because you majored in hard sciences. But it won't be much...and it varies.

User avatar
cortnf
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Biology Majors out there?

Postby cortnf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Retake. Seriously.

And yes there is a small boost because you majored in hard sciences. But it won't be much...and it varies.


This. 3.78 in a hard science is a great GPA. As for your question re: the lack of bio majors on TLS, it's because, in general, hard science majors self-select away from law school. They are often more interested in med school (as they should be ITE).

You're obviously smart if you did that well in your major. Did you prep for the LSAT at all? If you didn't, I'd recommend studying hard for the next few months, take the June test for 170+, then enjoy the T14.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Biology Majors out there?

Postby im_blue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:49 am

huttom84 wrote:i havent noticed toooo many biology majors out there so i'm wondering if there's a good reason for that (i.e. law schools generally dont like science majors) or is just because there isnt a whole lot of bio majors who wanna go to law school?

Any bio major with a decent GPA for top law schools would probably rather apply to med/dental/pharmacy/optometry/vet school instead.

User avatar
risktaker
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Biology Majors out there?

Postby risktaker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:00 am

I have a double major with biochem, but my overall GPA is around 3.3. I was looking to go into patent litigation, but it seems like it has become a lot harder to even get the litigation jobs without a PHD in the life sciences. I will most likely focus on patent and tax law in law school. Tax law only because I will need a way to pay off the enormous debt I am most likely going to have. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions OP. Have you already applied to law schools this cycle?

huttom84
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:05 am

Re: Biology Majors out there?

Postby huttom84 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 am

cortnf wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Retake. Seriously.

And yes there is a small boost because you majored in hard sciences. But it won't be much...and it varies.


This. 3.78 in a hard science is a great GPA. As for your question re: the lack of bio majors on TLS, it's because, in general, hard science majors self-select away from law school. They are often more interested in med school (as they should be ITE).

You're obviously smart if you did that well in your major. Did you prep for the LSAT at all? If you didn't, I'd recommend studying hard for the next few months, take the June test for 170+, then enjoy the T14.



I thought about med school for a long time. pretty much spent a year doing the whole pros/cons thing in my head before deciding i really wanted to go to law school. As for the LSAT, i didnt respect it very much and went in after a week of studying and paid for it with a 155. Really am considering retaking but im waiting on how this cycle turns out before i commit to it....i honestly just want to be on to the next step in my life which is why i didnt retake in the first place...already had to take a year off from school do to cancer in the family so really hoping that this cycle yields something (fingers crossed)

huttom84
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:05 am

Re: Biology Majors out there?

Postby huttom84 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:05 am

risktaker wrote:I have a double major with biochem, but my overall GPA is around 3.3. I was looking to go into patent litigation, but it seems like it has become a lot harder to even get the litigation jobs without a PHD in the life sciences. I will most likely focus on patent and tax law in law school. Tax law only because I will need a way to pay off the enormous debt I am most likely going to have. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions OP. Have you already applied to law schools this cycle?


Nice to see someone else on here that had to deal with memorizing the damn Krebbs cycle! yeah i got about 8 apps in the bag now but i dont have too high of hopes, except for maybe Miami which looks like they have a pretty relaxed acceptance rate.

User avatar
cortnf
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Biology Majors out there?

Postby cortnf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:16 am

huttom84 wrote:
risktaker wrote:I have a double major with biochem, but my overall GPA is around 3.3. I was looking to go into patent litigation, but it seems like it has become a lot harder to even get the litigation jobs without a PHD in the life sciences. I will most likely focus on patent and tax law in law school. Tax law only because I will need a way to pay off the enormous debt I am most likely going to have. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions OP. Have you already applied to law schools this cycle?


Nice to see someone else on here that had to deal with memorizing the damn Krebbs cycle! yeah i got about 8 apps in the bag now but i dont have too high of hopes, except for maybe Miami which looks like they have a pretty relaxed acceptance rate.


seeing as how you're new here, i'll be nice. do not go to a mediocre law school. you will not get a job after you finish. your 155 is not going to get you anywhere you want to go. please retake, get at a minimum a 165 but aim for a 170+. do these things and you will get money at amazing law schools. retake retake retake. one week of studying is nothing. prep hard for june, reapply EARLY (aka as soon as apps become available in september) next cycle and enjoy the acceptances and schollys.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests