Page 2 of 2

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:19 am
by merichard87
What the f*&^ are you going to do in Maine for the rest of your life since chances are you won't be able to take that degree anywhere else?

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:27 am
by edubs003
People always say retake and it's the most common answer on here. I was just wondering if it would hurt to apply, even though these schools are a reach? What's the harm in applying? OP should apply, seeing as how it's too late now to retake for 2011 cycle. Unless there's some harmful thing about reapplying that I've never heard about?

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:39 am
by dtubin
Ask for the waiver for a 4th try. It's been done before.

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 am
by TommyK
edubs003 wrote:People always say retake and it's the most common answer on here. I was just wondering if it would hurt to apply, even though these schools are a reach? What's the harm in applying? OP should apply, seeing as how it's too late now to retake for 2011 cycle. Unless there's some harmful thing about reapplying that I've never heard about?


The opportunity cost of putting together 10 applications is high for me. That's getting LOR's, writing a personal statement, editing a personal statement, destroying the original personal statement, rewriting a personal statement because you realize the first one seemed to be an endless string of meaningless platitudes, getting the academic transcript, writing a Why X essay for schools you're really interested in... Christ, just thinking about all the time you waste on this crap makes me not want to do it at all. I'd rather spend the 50+ hours on almost annything else.

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 am
by clr2277
I've already taken the LSAT three times: first time I didn't prepare myself; second time I took it while I was sick; third time I improved by over 10pts. Also, I already took a year off to save some money and I cannot stand staying where I'm at for another year.


I do think that with your 154, you are a good candidate for Maine; however, what were your other scores (if you didn't cancel them)? I believe that Maine is one of the schools that still averages LSAT scores, so if your other scores were significantly lower, you might have a problem.

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:21 am
by CanadianWolf
Northeastern in Boston might be an option for you to consider.

Although I understand & partially agree with the above poster doubting the value of a degree from Maine beyond that state's borders, the reality is that you may be training for a solo practice or an office sharing arrangement which should be available to you in any jurisdiction in which you become a member of the bar regardless of law school attended. If you are comfortable living & working in Maine, then all is fine; but, if you are certain that you want to practice elsewhere, then first consider law schools in that region.

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:19 pm
by edubs003
TommyK wrote:
edubs003 wrote:People always say retake and it's the most common answer on here. I was just wondering if it would hurt to apply, even though these schools are a reach? What's the harm in applying? OP should apply, seeing as how it's too late now to retake for 2011 cycle. Unless there's some harmful thing about reapplying that I've never heard about?


The opportunity cost of putting together 10 applications is high for me. That's getting LOR's, writing a personal statement, editing a personal statement, destroying the original personal statement, rewriting a personal statement because you realize the first one seemed to be an endless string of meaningless platitudes, getting the academic transcript, writing a Why X essay for schools you're really interested in... Christ, just thinking about all the time you waste on this crap makes me not want to do it at all. I'd rather spend the 50+ hours on almost annything else.


You can use the old LOR's and your academic transcript stays on LSAC as long as your account is active. So really, there's not too much to do and you'll be ahead of others just deciding to apply.

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 am
by TheOcho
clr2277 wrote:
I've already taken the LSAT three times: first time I didn't prepare myself; second time I took it while I was sick; third time I improved by over 10pts. Also, I already took a year off to save some money and I cannot stand staying where I'm at for another year.


I do think that with your 154, you are a good candidate for Maine; however, what were your other scores (if you didn't cancel them)? I believe that Maine is one of the schools that still averages LSAT scores, so if your other scores were significantly lower, you might have a problem.



14x?

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 am
by nightman09
Personally, I think that you have a good shot at Maine BUT I agree with others re: job prospects outside of the state.

For what its worth, I have a good friend who was just accepted to American FT (#48?) with a 3.0, 155 URM. She has exceptional softs, and a pretty legitimate grade addendum but, I think, if you market yourself well, then who knows? It doesn't hurt to dream, and apply to "reach" schools...

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 am
by 3|ink
nightman09 wrote:Personally, I think that you have a good shot at Maine BUT I agree with others re: job prospects outside of the state.

For what its worth, I have a good friend who was just accepted to American FT (#48?) with a 3.0, 155 URM. She has exceptional softs, and a pretty legitimate grade addendum but, I think, if you market yourself well, then who knows? It doesn't hurt to dream, and apply to "reach" schools...


Yeah. Write a damn good PS and reach for as high as you can.

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 am
by whymeohgodno
nightman09 wrote:Personally, I think that you have a good shot at Maine BUT I agree with others re: job prospects outside of the state.

For what its worth, I have a good friend who was just accepted to American FT (#48?) with a 3.0, 155 URM. She has exceptional softs, and a pretty legitimate grade addendum but, I think, if you market yourself well, then who knows? It doesn't hurt to dream, and apply to "reach" schools...

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:04 am
by nightman09
Umm... the OP is Mexican American

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:11 am
by High_Hopes
you have no business going to law school tbh

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 am
by FunkyJD
nightman09 wrote:Umm... the OP is Mexican American

I promise you BU won't care, with that LSAT, at this point in the game. The other schools, we'll see.

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:46 am
by tttlllsss
High_Hopes wrote:you have no business going to law school tbh

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:30 am
by WithoutMe
Maines 25th is 152 who ever said 154 is wrong

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:18 am
by kkklick
I just can't see you getting intgo Boston U, but I have no idea how valuable URM is in their admissions criteria. I'm sure in caucasion Boston they need some color.

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:19 am
by kkklick
WithoutMe wrote:Maines 25th is 152 who ever said 154 is wrong

That's funny the chart is on this same site.

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:42 am
by UCLAtransfer
Why does nobody seem to be commenting on the fact that just straight up Mexican Americans (as opposed to Puerto Rican, etc.) tend not to really get much of a URM boost?

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:44 am
by kkklick
UCLAtransfer wrote:Why does nobody seem to be commenting on the fact that just straight up Mexican Americans (as opposed to Puerto Rican, etc.) tend not to really get much of a URM boost?

Maybe that's why?

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:48 pm
by FunkyJD
kkklick wrote:I just can't see you getting intgo Boston U, but I have no idea how valuable URM is in their admissions criteria. I'm sure in caucasion Boston they need some color.

As a URM who had higher stats ... OP shouldn't hold his breath. Sorry. :(