Am I overreaching too much?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
merichard87

Re: Am I overreaching too much?

Postby merichard87 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:19 am

What the f*&^ are you going to do in Maine for the rest of your life since chances are you won't be able to take that degree anywhere else?

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:27 am

People always say retake and it's the most common answer on here. I was just wondering if it would hurt to apply, even though these schools are a reach? What's the harm in applying? OP should apply, seeing as how it's too late now to retake for 2011 cycle. Unless there's some harmful thing about reapplying that I've never heard about?

dtubin

Postby dtubin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:39 am

Ask for the waiver for a 4th try. It's been done before.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 am

edubs003 wrote:People always say retake and it's the most common answer on here. I was just wondering if it would hurt to apply, even though these schools are a reach? What's the harm in applying? OP should apply, seeing as how it's too late now to retake for 2011 cycle. Unless there's some harmful thing about reapplying that I've never heard about?

The opportunity cost of putting together 10 applications is high for me. That's getting LOR's, writing a personal statement, editing a personal statement, destroying the original personal statement, rewriting a personal statement because you realize the first one seemed to be an endless string of meaningless platitudes, getting the academic transcript, writing a Why X essay for schools you're really interested in... Christ, just thinking about all the time you waste on this crap makes me not want to do it at all. I'd rather spend the 50+ hours on almost annything else.

clr2277

Postby clr2277 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 am

I've already taken the LSAT three times: first time I didn't prepare myself; second time I took it while I was sick; third time I improved by over 10pts. Also, I already took a year off to save some money and I cannot stand staying where I'm at for another year.

I do think that with your 154, you are a good candidate for Maine; however, what were your other scores (if you didn't cancel them)? I believe that Maine is one of the schools that still averages LSAT scores, so if your other scores were significantly lower, you might have a problem.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:21 am

Northeastern in Boston might be an option for you to consider.

Although I understand & partially agree with the above poster doubting the value of a degree from Maine beyond that state's borders, the reality is that you may be training for a solo practice or an office sharing arrangement which should be available to you in any jurisdiction in which you become a member of the bar regardless of law school attended. If you are comfortable living & working in Maine, then all is fine; but, if you are certain that you want to practice elsewhere, then first consider law schools in that region.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:19 pm

TommyK wrote:
edubs003 wrote:People always say retake and it's the most common answer on here. I was just wondering if it would hurt to apply, even though these schools are a reach? What's the harm in applying? OP should apply, seeing as how it's too late now to retake for 2011 cycle. Unless there's some harmful thing about reapplying that I've never heard about?

The opportunity cost of putting together 10 applications is high for me. That's getting LOR's, writing a personal statement, editing a personal statement, destroying the original personal statement, rewriting a personal statement because you realize the first one seemed to be an endless string of meaningless platitudes, getting the academic transcript, writing a Why X essay for schools you're really interested in... Christ, just thinking about all the time you waste on this crap makes me not want to do it at all. I'd rather spend the 50+ hours on almost annything else.

You can use the old LOR's and your academic transcript stays on LSAC as long as your account is active. So really, there's not too much to do and you'll be ahead of others just deciding to apply.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 am

clr2277 wrote:
I've already taken the LSAT three times: first time I didn't prepare myself; second time I took it while I was sick; third time I improved by over 10pts. Also, I already took a year off to save some money and I cannot stand staying where I'm at for another year.

I do think that with your 154, you are a good candidate for Maine; however, what were your other scores (if you didn't cancel them)? I believe that Maine is one of the schools that still averages LSAT scores, so if your other scores were significantly lower, you might have a problem.

14x?

nightman09

Postby nightman09 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 am

Personally, I think that you have a good shot at Maine BUT I agree with others re: job prospects outside of the state.

For what its worth, I have a good friend who was just accepted to American FT (#48?) with a 3.0, 155 URM. She has exceptional softs, and a pretty legitimate grade addendum but, I think, if you market yourself well, then who knows? It doesn't hurt to dream, and apply to "reach" schools...

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 am

nightman09 wrote:Personally, I think that you have a good shot at Maine BUT I agree with others re: job prospects outside of the state.

For what its worth, I have a good friend who was just accepted to American FT (#48?) with a 3.0, 155 URM. She has exceptional softs, and a pretty legitimate grade addendum but, I think, if you market yourself well, then who knows? It doesn't hurt to dream, and apply to "reach" schools...

Yeah. Write a damn good PS and reach for as high as you can.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 am

nightman09 wrote:Personally, I think that you have a good shot at Maine BUT I agree with others re: job prospects outside of the state.

nightman09

Postby nightman09 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:04 am

Umm... the OP is Mexican American

High_Hopes

Postby High_Hopes » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:11 am

you have no business going to law school tbh

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 am

nightman09 wrote:Umm... the OP is Mexican American

I promise you BU won't care, with that LSAT, at this point in the game. The other schools, we'll see.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:46 am

High_Hopes wrote:you have no business going to law school tbh

WithoutMe

Postby WithoutMe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:30 am

Maines 25th is 152 who ever said 154 is wrong

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:18 am

I just can't see you getting intgo Boston U, but I have no idea how valuable URM is in their admissions criteria. I'm sure in caucasion Boston they need some color.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:19 am

WithoutMe wrote:Maines 25th is 152 who ever said 154 is wrong

That's funny the chart is on this same site.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:42 am

Why does nobody seem to be commenting on the fact that just straight up Mexican Americans (as opposed to Puerto Rican, etc.) tend not to really get much of a URM boost?

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:44 am

UCLAtransfer wrote:Why does nobody seem to be commenting on the fact that just straight up Mexican Americans (as opposed to Puerto Rican, etc.) tend not to really get much of a URM boost?

Maybe that's why?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:48 pm

kkklick wrote:I just can't see you getting intgo Boston U, but I have no idea how valuable URM is in their admissions criteria. I'm sure in caucasion Boston they need some color.

As a URM who had higher stats ... OP shouldn't hold his breath. Sorry. :(

Return to “What are my chances?”