Chances at Yale - 4.0, 175

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pleasye

Re: Chances at Yale - 4.0, 175

Postby Pleasye » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:31 pm

I just want to clarify that when you think someone is just trolling/a flame it's referred to as a FLAME. Not Flamer, that refers to something different and can be considered offensive.

Also, OP, your UG shouldn't have an effect on your admissions. Yes, it does help to have a 4.0 from an ivy, but a 4.0 in biology from a state school remains impressive. Good luck.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:33 pm

onebiglie wrote:
gambelda wrote:Why are we catering to this flamer? Clearly only an idiot with his numbers would choose not to apply to all 3....so let the flamer apply, tell us which he gets, and then brag about his greatness over all of us after his acceptance.

what exactly is the definition of a "flamer?"

btw, I definitely will be applying to all three...but as you can see from this thread I have some questions that I hadn't resolved that I wanted to ask about...hence the thread.

Another question: is it worth waiting to apply to get a third letter of recommendation in? My first is from my lab supervisor, who has worked closely with me for two semesters, so that one should be a pretty good one. The second and third letters are both from professors I've had multiple classes in and positive interaction with outside of class, one in philosophy (my minor) and one in biology. Should I hold off for the third for H, Y, S?

I think you have a very strong shot at Yale. Your numbers and background will almost certainly get you into faculty review and your application should be tailored to that process. There are different opinions about letters - I tend to think that they're more likely to be used against you than for you and, as such, one should only send the 2 strongest letters (I only sent out 2).

Put your publication on your CV as "in press" or "in review" depending on where it is in the publication process.

As much as I hate that it's true, I do think YLS tends to go a bit easier for people from 'elite' schools - but it really comes down to the capriciousness of individual YLS professors and you shouldn't worry about it.

onebiglie

Postby onebiglie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:13 pm

notanumber wrote:
onebiglie wrote:
gambelda wrote:Why are we catering to this flamer? Clearly only an idiot with his numbers would choose not to apply to all 3....so let the flamer apply, tell us which he gets, and then brag about his greatness over all of us after his acceptance.

btw, I definitely will be applying to all three...but as you can see from this thread I have some questions that I hadn't resolved that I wanted to ask about...hence the thread.

Another question: is it worth waiting to apply to get a third letter of recommendation in? My first is from my lab supervisor, who has worked closely with me for two semesters, so that one should be a pretty good one. The second and third letters are both from professors I've had multiple classes in and positive interaction with outside of class, one in philosophy (my minor) and one in biology. Should I hold off for the third for H, Y, S?

I think you have a very strong shot at Yale. Your numbers and background will almost certainly get you into faculty review and your application should be tailored to that process. There are different opinions about letters - I tend to think that they're more likely to be used against you than for you and, as such, one should only send the 2 strongest letters (I only sent out 2).

Put your publication on your CV as "in press" or "in review" depending on where it is in the publication process.

As much as I hate that it's true, I do think YLS tends to go a bit easier for people from 'elite' schools - but it really comes down to the capriciousness of individual YLS professors and you shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the help! Overall this thread has been very helpful.

A couple other questions:

1) I sent in my transcript to LSAC a couple months ago, when I thought I was going to be able to send my applications in at the end of November. That didn't happen due to extremely slow LORs. Anyway, should I have a new transcript sent out to update with scores from this semester? I took a few difficult classes and did well in them, but will anyone care about that, if my GPA hasn't changed?

2) I'm applying to 1-8 (assuming Chicago and lower give me the fee waiver that Columbia has already granted me; if not, I might skip some of them) and Northwestern (because of the rumor that I might be able to get a full ride there). Anywhere else I should definitely apply?

3) Definitely worth delaying my Yale app until I can include info about my publication, but is it worth delaying for Harvard, or will the lost time hurt more than the extra CV bullet point will help?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:21 pm

onebiglie wrote:
notanumber wrote:
onebiglie wrote:

1) I sent in my transcript to LSAC a couple months ago, when I thought I was going to be able to send my applications in at the end of November. That didn't happen due to extremely slow LORs. Anyway, should I have a new transcript sent out to update with scores from this semester? I took a few difficult classes and did well in them, but will anyone care about that, if my GPA hasn't changed?

2) I'm applying to 1-8 (assuming Chicago and lower give me the fee waiver that Columbia has already granted me; if not, I might skip some of them) and Northwestern (because of the rumor that I might be able to get a full ride there). Anywhere else I should definitely apply?

3) Definitely worth delaying my Yale app until I can include info about my publication, but is it worth delaying for Harvard, or will the lost time hurt more than the extra CV bullet point will help?

1) sure feel free to update it, but i wouldnt if it will delay your app -- its getting late in the cycle...and though yale doesnt care as much about the timing, schools like HLS do

2) 1-8 is fine imo. i did 4 lol.

3) you could do what notanumber suggested and just say it is 'in press' <- if factually accurate; also, how long of a delay are we talking about for that extra line on the CV? imo you're in HLS, assuming your PS/LORs/Resume dont give them the wrong vibe; yours to lose there

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:54 pm

onebiglie wrote:
notanumber wrote:
onebiglie wrote:

2) Michigan trolling: If you're doing Northwestern for scholarship money, you should almost certainly do Michigan for a chance at the Darrow. I'd get that application with a Why Michigan in fairly soon, though. You'll also probably already have a hidden fee waiver at Michigan, or you can email admissions and see if they'll grant you one - they almost certainly will.

Return to “What are my chances?”