Chances at Yale - 4.0, 175

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
onebiglie

Chances at Yale - 4.0, 175

Postby onebiglie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 am

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering what my chances are of being admitted to Yale. After researching the top five schools, I really have my heart set on Yale, not because it's ranked number one, but because I find its emphasis on theory, its nonstandard grading, and its clinical opportunities in environmental and immigration policy to be attractive.

But what are my chances?

LSAT: 175
GPA: 4.0

My undergraduate major was biology, so most of the classes I have taken are hard science classes. However, I attended a large state school for undergraduate, and am worried that this will hut my chances. Will it?

Other factors include TA experience for an introductory biology class, laboratory experience in a neuroscience lab, and participation in a few humanitarian and charity organizations.
Last edited by onebiglie on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Re: Chances at Yale - 4.0, 175

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:05 am

You have a shot for sure, but not a a great one for the lack of outstanding extracarriculars or WE.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:08 am

No chance in hell. Reach for you is going to be burger king. Try McDonalds.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:44 am

Literally none.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:48 am

The effort is noted, and appreciated. I am genuinely curious as to what drove you to flame for the first time on a random Sunday late night though... PM?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:40 am

Username is lulzy if flame.

If not sure, sure, why wouldn't you have a shot?

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:44 am

I hope the OP gets hit by a bus.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:47 am

onebiglie

Postby onebiglie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 pm

I assure you, everything in my first post is true, and I'm genuinely interested in real responses. Not sure why you think I'm not (my username is something i use all around the web..it's from a bob dylan song and doesn't imply that the contents of that post were a lie.)

onebiglie

Postby onebiglie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:29 pm

SBL wrote:Username is lulzy if flame.

Well, I'm just wondering how much coming from a large state school will hurt my chances.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:38 pm

onebiglie wrote:

Well, I'm just wondering how much coming from a large state school will hurt my chances.

You're an idiot. Instead of asking stupid questions, read some posts.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:40 pm

onebiglie wrote:

Undergrad institution doesn't matter in law school admissions. Your numbers give you a shot, but it's impossible to know if you're a "lock" at Yale because...it's Yale. But congrats on the numbers and good luck.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
onebiglie wrote:

Undergrad institution doesn't matter in law school admissions. Your numbers give you a shot, but it's impossible to know if you're a "lock" at Yale because...it's Yale. But congrats on the numbers and good luck.

This. It won't weigh against you. Your LSAT score and GPA in a tough major will be very much in your favor. Yale is a black box of admissions, however, and they have to really like something they see in your application. Numbers aren't enough. This is also true at Stanford, but I think you have a very solid chance at Stanford with that major. About as close as it comes to being a lock at Harvard. Big money at CCN, huge money in T10.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:39 pm

4.0 in biology? Go to med school!

Anyway, I'd say out at Yale, in at Harvard, and a shot at Stanford.

onebiglie

Postby onebiglie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:33 pm

im_blue wrote:4.0 in biology? Go to med school!

eh, I'd have to take a year off if I wanted to go to med school at this point. I definitely thought about it, but in the end I didn't feel I was that passionate about medicine. Plus it takes so long!

Well, glad that my state school background won't hurt... really would rather not end up at Harvard, but I guess I shouldn't really complain, since I'm very lucky to even have schools like these on the table. Is Stanford really more selective than Harvard? Is there anything I can do to help my chances at Yale? I should be getting a scientific article published in the near future, might that help? Should I hold off sending in my application until I can include that on my CV?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:41 pm

?? He seems like he has a very good shot at Stanford. How many people have a 4.0 GPA in hard sciences along with a 175 LSAT? Doesn't Stanford love hard science majors?

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Why are we catering to this flamer? Clearly only an idiot with his numbers would choose not to apply to all 3....so let the flamer apply, tell us which he gets, and then brag about his greatness over all of us after his acceptance.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:53 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

?? He seems like he has a very good shot at Stanford. How many people have a 4.0 GPA in hard sciences along with a 175 LSAT? Doesn't Stanford love hard science majors?

This wouldn't surprise me due to their strong IP/Tech/Patents history

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:53 pm

gambelda wrote:Why are we catering to this flamer? Clearly only an idiot with his numbers would choose not to apply to all 3....so let the flamer apply, tell us which he gets, and then brag about his greatness over all of us after his acceptance.

You must be a hit at parties.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:53 pm

gambelda wrote:Why are we catering to this flamer? Clearly only an idiot with his numbers would choose not to apply to all 3....so let the flamer apply, tell us which he gets, and then brag about his greatness over all of us after his acceptance.

+1

Just because s/he says this isn't a flame we believe that? Seriously? Guilty until proven innocent on TLS!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:55 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Well bc Stanford and Yale have smaller classes it takes less work to keep their numbers up so they can look at other factors. I doubt seriously if Stanford even tries to maximize their numbers.

onebiglie

Postby onebiglie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm

what exactly is the definition of a "flamer?"

btw, I definitely will be applying to all three...but as you can see from this thread I have some questions that I hadn't resolved that I wanted to ask about...hence the thread.

Another question: is it worth waiting to apply to get a third letter of recommendation in? My first is from my lab supervisor, who has worked closely with me for two semesters, so that one should be a pretty good one. The second and third letters are both from professors I've had multiple classes in and positive interaction with outside of class, one in philosophy (my minor) and one in biology. Should I hold off for the third for H, Y, S?

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:17 pm

OP, 0Ls on these forums sit around and do nothing but read TLS. In doing so, they begin to repeat certain truths about law school admissions, biglaw hiring, law school prestige and placement, etc. that, granted, hold true for the majority of instances but at the margins are not accurate. When they see a new poster write something that is counter to this idiomatic knowledge, or pose a question to which any of this law school 'common sense' would apply, they assume that it's flame as anybody should know this stuff. They forget that not everyone wastes their lives sitting around TLS reading the same self-perpetuating feedback repeat itself over the years.

Your state school might hurt you wrt getting into yls but theres nothing you can do about that now, other than boost other aspects of your application, like publishing or high-level responsibility in one of your 501c orgs. good luck.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:25 pm

solidsnake wrote:OP, 0Ls on these forums sit around and do nothing but read TLS. In doing so, they begin to repeat certain truths about law school admissions, biglaw hiring, law school prestige and placement, etc. that, granted, hold true for the majority of instances but at the margins are not accurate. When they see a new poster write something that is counter to this idiomatic knowledge, or pose a question to which any of this law school 'common sense' would apply, they assume that it's flame as anybody should know this stuff. They forget that not everyone wastes their lives sitting around TLS reading the same self-perpetuating feedback repeat itself over the years.

Your state school might hurt you wrt getting into yls but theres nothing you can do about that now, other than boost other aspects of your application, like publishing or high-level responsibility in one of your 501c orgs. good luck.

Fixed. Rest is credible. I would have also accepted "TLSers are douchebags"

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:28 pm

gambelda wrote:
solidsnake wrote:OP, 0Ls on these forums sit around and do nothing but read TLS. In doing so, they begin to repeat certain truths about law school admissions, biglaw hiring, law school prestige and placement, etc. that, granted, hold true for the majority of instances but at the margins are not accurate. When they see a new poster write something that is counter to this idiomatic knowledge, or pose a question to which any of this law school 'common sense' would apply, they assume that it's flame as anybody should know this stuff. They forget that not everyone wastes their lives sitting around TLS reading the same self-perpetuating feedback repeat itself over the years.

Fixed. Rest is credible. I would have also accepted "TLSers are douchebags"

It probably will. I mean this is Yale. Anything/everything matters.

Return to “What are my chances?”