2.81 GPA - 161ish LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
GP305

2.81 GPA - 161ish LSAT

Postby GP305 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:01 am

Hey everyone. So this is my first time post and needless to say, I am terrified to put this up because of the reactions I feel I will get. But I grew some thick skin and just figured I'd take criticism if I get it.

I am applying to Law School for the Fall 2011 term. My current situation go as follows, I had a 2.81 GPA. While an undergrad I worked full time at a night club as a bartender for my last two years and managed a clinics billing online for my first two. Furthermore, I had four good internships doing college. I double majored in International Business and Economics-Finance, minored in Pre-Law. On my little free time, I was actively involved in a fraternity, varsity athletics, and regularly involved with community service. I feel as though my resume and involvement will someone explain my low GPA seeing as I was stretched very thin.Now, I took the LSAT in Dec. 2008 valiantly and stupidly with the flu... I got a 151 and had to go get an IV at the hospital after (I thought I could be the Jordan of the LSAT). With the renewed motivation to apply to law school, I prepped the last month or so while working and am at a 160-163 range. So yeah, I won't be applying to any schools that average, only the ones that take the highest score. Nonetheless, I am submitting a strong addendum explaining my 12/08 LSAT with hospital documentation.

I thought that as a first generation American from a Peruvian family I could claim URM, but with everything that I have read, apparently not. So my remaining question is what Tier 1 schools I could be looked at favorablly in. Currently these are the schools I am considering:

Safety:Loyola-NO, Marquette, Samford, FIU, Syracuse,
Competitive:American, FSU, Miami, Loyola-Chicago, Wisconsin, SMU, Tennessee
Reach:Tulane, Indiana-Bloomington, George Mason, Alabama, Illinois, Villanova, Wake Forest
Dream Schools: UNC, Boston College, Washington (STL), Notre Dame

So that's my situation... Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and best of luck to those of you applying, and to those of you in school with finals.

BlueDiamond

Re: 2.81 GPA - 161ish LSAT

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:15 am

I know this is unhelpful, but come back when you have the LSAT score actually recorded. There's no point in speculation. However, that's exactly what I'll do. Even with lets say a 160 LSAT score most of your target schools are already reaches in reality unless you find that you can claim URM status. Because of the GPA you might be looking low tier 2 with a 160 LSAT. Most people perform under what they practice at. So, hopefully you are the exception and score higher. I'm rooting for ya

GP305

Postby GP305 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been fully aware of the underperforming thing. I am gonna call the individual school's admissions offices and see what they consider URM. We'll see from there.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:33 pm

GP305 wrote:I am gonna call the individual school's admissions offices and see what they consider URM. We'll see from there.

LOL that would be a very stupid thing to do. You need to take the lsat, and score as high as you can. Then you need to apply to schools in places you might like to live. Write a diversity statement about your Peruvian heritage if it's made an impact on you, but dont go around soliciting info on what type of candidate a school considers diverse.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
GP305 wrote:I am gonna call the individual school's admissions offices and see what they consider URM. We'll see from there.

LOL that would be a very stupid thing to do. You need to take the lsat, and score as high as you can. Then you need to apply to schools in places you might like to live. Write a diversity statement about your Peruvian heritage if it's made an impact on you, but dont go around soliciting info on what type of candidate a school considers diverse.

This is why I hate URM status. Its just a way to game the adcomms. it's 2010. I think we're all just Americans at this point.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Some Americans are more equal than others.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:33 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

This is why I hate URM status. Its just a way to game the adcomms. it's 2010. I think we're all just Americans at this point.

It takes two to game. Admissions committees have the ability to read through an applicant's complete file and make a more holistic evaluation of whether their race, religion, orientation, life experience, or socioeconomic status will truly add to the diversity of the student body. Instead of taking part in such a process, from what we know at least, they have in their head a specific type or color of person that fits the bill. Such a limited approach isn't the fault of the person who it benefits, or of those who go out of their way to take advantage of it.

The system is broken on both ends my friend. Don't blame just the URM's.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

It takes two to game. Admissions committees have the ability to read through an applicant's complete file and make a more holistic evaluation of whether their race, religion, orientation, life experience, or socioeconomic status will truly add to the diversity of the student body. Instead of taking part in such a process, from what we know at least, they have in their head a specific type or color of person that fits the bill. Such a limited approach isn't the fault of the person who it benefits, or of those who go out of their way to take advantage of it.

I'm not at all. It definitely goes both ways. I think the admissions system is broken. It's racism at it's finest. Plus, URMs get such a significant advantage, I can't imagine they fair very well competing against kids with significantly better numbers once they're in law school. For someone to call schools and ask their policy though shows how much more important the boost is than their actual diversity and background. I think it's embarrassing really.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:43 pm

FuManChusco wrote: Plus, URMs get such a significant advantage, I can't imagine they fair very well competing against kids with significantly better numbers once they're in law school..

To each his own I suppose...over/under 1 hour before a mod finds and locks this thread?

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Come back when you get your new score, brah. Who knows, maybe you'll surprise yourself and get a 165 or something. Good luck.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
FuManChusco wrote: Plus, URMs get such a significant advantage, I can't imagine they fair very well competing against kids with significantly better numbers once they're in law school..

To each his own I suppose...over/under 1 hour before a mod finds and locks this thread?

Very soon. The texas hammer will probably ban me too even though what I said is completely tame and a reasonable thing to discuss.

GP305

Postby GP305 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Hey everyone. Thanks again for the feedback. TheOcho thanks for the encouragement on the LSAT. It's kind of funny you said that, I took the October 2009 test yesterday and scored a 165. But I am not going to get my hopes up on it. I am just considering it an anomaly till I take another two today and see where I am at.

Furthermore, I understand everyone's feedback on the URM status. I feel badly that it would put certain people at a disadvantage who may even have a considerably higher LSAT & GPA than myself. The fact of the matter is though, that my diverse status did have a major effect on my development. I don't think I need to get too in depth on the reasons why, but I apologize on my part to those it vexes. However, it is something that is out there and available for minorities to use, so I thought I would utilize it. My intention was never to make myself an exception to the rule or irritate certain individuals that disagree with the phenomenon.

Nonetheless, thanks again to everyone for the input. I appreciate it so very much.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:07 pm

GP305 wrote:Hey everyone. Thanks again for the feedback. TheOcho thanks for the encouragement on the LSAT. It's kind of funny you said that, I took the October 2009 test yesterday and scored a 165. But I am not going to get my hopes up on it. I am just considering it an anomaly till I take another two today and see where I am at.

Furthermore, I understand everyone's feedback on the URM status. I feel badly that it would put certain people at a disadvantage who may even have a considerably higher LSAT & GPA than myself. The fact of the matter is though, that my diverse status did have a major effect on my development. I don't think I need to get too in depth on the reasons why, but I apologize on my part to those it vexes. However, it is something that is out there and available for minorities to use, so I thought I would utilize it. My intention was never to make myself an exception to the rule or irritate certain individuals that disagree with the phenomenon.

Nonetheless, thanks again to everyone for the input. I appreciate it so very much.

This is legit. I encourage you to use it to your advantage even if I don't totally agree with it. I think if diversity had a major impact on your life, then it is reasonable and important to discuss it. I didn't meant to come across as a huge asshole. My problem is how people who have no background of diversity and do no relate very well to their heritage get a major boost. It seems ridiculous to me that someone can add diversity to a school simply because of their skin color. If two people are born and raised in the same culture, with the same values, how is one more diverse than the other because of a heritage that doesn't even impact them. You came across as someone who was fishing for an advantage. My apologies for jumping to conclusions. Good luck with everything. Get that LSAT score up and apply to splitter schools with a killer DS. You might pull in some good acceptances.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

I just wanted to chime in that the bolded don't really give a URM boost, nothing like race does. I have a pretty uncomparable life experience (unless someone has had pretty much the same one) and I'm 95% sure it has given me NO boost what-so-ever.

OP- Your targets seem a little more like reaches. Then again, a 160-->163 is a big difference in and of itself, and you really could be looking at anything... 158-->165, you never know. A word of encouragement- I matched my highest score on a PT ever on test day (granted, I only took 4 PTs lol). Take the LSAT, get your score, and then use LSP. BOOM!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Barbie wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

I just wanted to chime in that the bolded don't really give a URM boost, nothing like race does. I have a pretty uncomparable life experience (unless someone has had pretty much the same one) and I'm 95% sure it has given me NO boost what-so-ever.

OP- Your targets seem a little more like reaches. Then again, a 160-->163 is a big difference in and of itself, and you really could be looking at anything... 158-->165, you never know. A word of encouragement- I matched my highest score on a PT ever on test day (granted, I only took 4 PTs lol). Take the LSAT, get your score, and then use LSP. BOOM!

That was my point. The true definition of diversity is, for lack of a better term, more diverse than the way it's used in the admissions process. Ad Coms should look at those things, but they don't.

Return to “What are my chances?”