my GPA is barely a 3.0. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hazencage

New

my GPA is barely a 3.0.

Post by hazencage » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:37 am

I was wondering how important of a factor is GPA when it comes to being accepted into a law school that is ranked in the top 60.

merichard87

Silver

Re: my GPA is barely a 3.0.

Post by merichard87 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:42 am

R u serious?

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:44 am

hazencage wrote:I was wondering how important of a factor is GPA when it comes to being accepted into a law school that is ranked in the top 60.
You should probably be more clear...top 60 includes everything from Yale to SMU or whichever school is ranked 60...nonetheless GPA is a pretty important factor unless your LSAT makes it seem secondary (i.e.170+)...I could be wrong, but that is what I get from my time here...

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:48 am

your gonna get alot of sarcastic answers, but GPA is very important making up roughly half of what is weighed in when it comes to law school acceptance with the other half being LSAT score....softs and URM status and all that come into play too though keep in mind....

but are you graduating with a 3.0? or do you still have a yr or two left? a 3.0 from what i gather is pretty much the bottom line for decent law schools. anything below that looks bad, so if you can stay in the 3's youll do ok. balance it out with a high LSAT obviously if possible

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 am

Depends on the school hurr durr

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hazencage

New

Post by hazencage » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:58 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
hazencage wrote:I was wondering how important of a factor is GPA when it comes to being accepted into a law school that is ranked in the top 60.
You should probably be more clear...top 60 includes everything from Yale to SMU or whichever school is ranked 60...nonetheless GPA is a pretty important factor unless your LSAT makes it seem secondary (i.e.170+)...I could be wrong, but that is what I get from my time here...
I still have one more semester left after this one.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:30 am

hazencage wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
I still have one more semester left after this one.
LSAT?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:48 pm

Break 170 and have a crack at a couple schools in the T14. Fail to break 150 and pray to get into a TTTT.

And yes, that's just how important your LSAT score is.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:42 am

bostlaw wrote:your gonna get alot of sarcastic answers, but GPA is very important making up roughly half of what is weighed in when it comes to law school acceptance with the other half being LSAT score....softs and URM status and all that come into play too though keep in mind....

but are you graduating with a 3.0? or do you still have a yr or two left? a 3.0 from what i gather is pretty much the bottom line for decent law schools. anything below that looks bad, so if you can stay in the 3's youll do ok. balance it out with a high LSAT obviously if possible
that is clearly wrong for the vast majority of schools

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
bostlaw wrote:your gonna get alot of sarcastic answers, but GPA is very important making up roughly half of what is weighed in when it comes to law school acceptance with the other half being LSAT score....softs and URM status and all that come into play too though keep in mind....

yeah, LSAT is definitely more than 50% of the app.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:54 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

It's more like 2/3 at most schools (Berkeley being the main exception).

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

It's more like 2/3 at most schools (Berkeley being the main exception).
+1

Also, GPA tends to matter a little less if you've been in the workforce for several years.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 pm

bostlaw wrote:

Unless your definition of roughly is WAY different from mine, then you are still wrong.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
bostlaw wrote:

Unless your definition of roughly is WAY different from mine, then you are still wrong.
A honda civic costs roughly 30k

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:29 pm

right now if someone asked you to name the 2 most important things on you ap that law schools look at what would your answer be?

roughly half.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 pm

LSAT is 2/3rds or more of most admissions indices.

However, it's critical to keep your GPA above a 3.0. Many, many schools have a hard floor at 3.0, even with a great LSAT score. A sub 3.0 splitter is not someone you want to be.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:41 pm

bostlaw wrote:right now if someone asked you to name the 2 most important things on you ap that law schools look at what would your answer be?

roughly half.
That's not how percentages work. I could say that the two most important things on my desk are my computer and my phone. That doesn't mean they are of equal value. As rad law said, it depends on the school herp derp. GPA is obviously important, but it depends where you apply and what your LSAT is.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm

bostlaw wrote:right now if someone asked you to name the 2 most important things on you ap that law schools look at what would your answer be?

roughly half.
--ImageRemoved--

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:50 pm

x=5

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:53 pm

im_blue wrote:

roughly half.
--ImageRemoved--
for your over used failblog pic to make sense, you should have quoted my other post. because 1 divided by 2 does equall 50%.....may have had a case with my original post lol.

and I have this hilarious picture in my head of what FuManChusco looks like saying "thats not how percentages work!" hahahaha

...and x= 5 cm...UNITS!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 pm

forgot about the cm... - 5 points for me.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 pm

bostlaw, you dug yourself a ditch, abandon before you bury yourself. It wasn't that big of a deal that you were wrong the first time, but now you look like an idiot and a douche.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:57 pm

for the sake of my internet reputation!? oh no!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:01 pm

bostlaw wrote:for the sake of my internet reputation!? oh no!
Going down with the ship.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”