3.78/178...money from a T14?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Total Litigator

Re: 3.78/178...money from a T14?

Postby Total Litigator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:58 pm

If this really isn't a flame then:

Yale: WL, small chance of admittance but probably not, GPA is just too low
Harvard: Probably in, maybe WL
Stanford: IN with maybe 10K
Columbia: In with maybe 10K
Cornell: IN with 3/4 or full scholarship
Georgetown: IN with 3/4 or full scholarship

So really just use your imagination to work from Columbia to Cornell, you will be looking at 10K to a 3/4 scholarship. You're in a very good and enviable position.

The only way you could not know this (being so smart and everything) is that you have absolutely no idea how law school financial aid works. Even then, it blows my mind that somebody with numbers like yours would be asking questions like these without doing the research themselves.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:59 pm

OGR3 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
yankeesuck850 wrote:Hey Blue Diamond, why don't you shut the fuck up? God damnit, sorry for invading your little space. Jesus, I have no idea what to expect regarding the admissions process so I came here for a little help. I'm aware I'll get into T14s, but I don't know how forthcoming they are with money. I don't expect to get a ton of need-based financial aid, because my Dad does pretty well, but I'll be on my own for law school and was wondering about merit-based.

So go to hell, douche.

Forgive our skepticism. People troll this site all the time.

It certainly doesn't help that this was OP's first post.

Also, we should just stop feeding the flame.

Meh, I'm waiting for the epic battle between yankee and diamond.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 pm

Yes please

yankeesuck850

Postby yankeesuck850 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
yankeesuck850 wrote:Hey Blue Diamond, why don't you shut the fuck up? God damnit, sorry for invading your little space. Jesus, I have no idea what to expect regarding the admissions process so I came here for a little help. I'm aware I'll get into T14s, but I don't know how forthcoming they are with money. I don't expect to get a ton of need-based financial aid, because my Dad does pretty well, but I'll be on my own for law school and was wondering about merit-based.

So go to hell, douche.

Forgive our skepticism. People troll this site all the time.

It certainly doesn't help that this was OP's first post.

Also, we should just stop feeding the flame.

Ooh, I'll take him.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 pm

yankeesuck850 wrote:I have no problem with skepticism, I understand that entirely. Blue Diamond's post didn't seem like skepticism, it was just obnoxious. And it was my first post because, like I said, I just discovered this site tonight.

In the past I've found obnoxious skepticism to be the best kind

yankeesuck850

Postby yankeesuck850 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:04 pm

Total Litigator wrote:If this really isn't a flame then:

So really just use your imagination to work from Columbia to Cornell, you will be looking at 10K to a 3/4 scholarship. You're in a very good and enviable position.

The only way you could not know this (being so smart and everything) is that you have absolutely no idea how law school financial aid works. Even then, it blows my mind that somebody with numbers like yours would be asking questions like these without doing the research themselves.

Thanks a lot for the information, I really appreciate it. And I honestly don't have much of a clue how financial aid works, I know when I need to apply for it but that's about it. I have done some research into admissions stuff, but that was mostly on the regular TLS site (I've been using the rankings page and corresponding individual law school pages for months, didn't know there were forums), and I have yet to find anything even remotely specific regarding how much money one could get from different schools depending on one's numbers. Where do you find these things?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:06 pm

glitter178 wrote:You are in a very elite group of people. It's likely that you could get money anywhere in t-14, though I don't know about HYS. If you haven't, check out lawschoolnumbers.com and look at what the 3 people with your numbers got last year. You should apply everywhere immediately just to maximize schools offers.

yankeesuck850

Postby yankeesuck850 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:06 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
yankeesuck850 wrote:I have no problem with skepticism, I understand that entirely. Blue Diamond's post didn't seem like skepticism, it was just obnoxious. And it was my first post because, like I said, I just discovered this site tonight.

In the past I've found obnoxious skepticism to be the best kind

It's one thing to be skeptical, it's another to assume and be a jerk about it. In any event, are trolls that much of a problem here that you need to make such an assumption?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:07 pm

yankeesuck850 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the information, I really appreciate it. And I honestly don't have much of a clue how financial aid works, I know when I need to apply for it but that's about it. I have done some research into admissions stuff, but that was mostly on the regular TLS site (I've been using the rankings page and corresponding individual law school pages for months, didn't know there were forums), and I have yet to find anything even remotely specific regarding how much money one could get from different schools depending on one's numbers. Where do you find these things?

viewforum.php?f=15

yankeesuck850

Postby yankeesuck850 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:07 pm

OGR3 wrote:
yankeesuck850 wrote:

viewforum.php?f=15

Awesome, thanks.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:09 pm

yankeesuck850 wrote:Thanks a lot for the information, I really appreciate it. And I honestly don't have much of a clue how financial aid works, I know when I need to apply for it but that's about it. I have done some research into admissions stuff, but that was mostly on the regular TLS site (I've been using the rankings page and corresponding individual law school pages for months, didn't know there were forums), and I have yet to find anything even remotely specific regarding how much money one could get from different schools depending on one's numbers. Where do you find these things?

I'm actually not sure, but I'm holding you to a higher standard than I do myself lol. You probably should have made your thread title "How Much money can I expect from various T14 schools," it would have looked less like posturing although of course some posters still would have been pissed off / called you a flame.

That being said I'm still not sure if this is a flame or not, but if it is it has certainly taken a less entertaining tone for you lol, which I consider the next best victory on the part of repliers, nonwithstanding all out ignoring of the thread.
Last edited by Total Litigator on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:10 pm

yankeesuck850 wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/funding- ... holarships

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Your months of law school planning and extensive use of the site could have led you here with your questions on financial aid. To get these results I used the complex search engine at the bottom of every TLS page and typed "money"

yankeesuck850

Postby yankeesuck850 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:13 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
yankeesuck850 wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/funding- ... holarships

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Your months of law school planning and extensive use of the site could have led you here with your questions on financial aid. To get these results I used the complex search engine at the bottom of every TLS page and typed "money"

Geez, sorry to bother you. My "extensive use" of this site has, until tonight, been limited to the rankings page and individual schools' pages. And once I discovered the forums, I didn't see that there was a section for money. I wasn't planning on posting at all until I saw a post in the "what are my chances?" section that asked about chances of getting money at a T14, and on a whim I decided to post, since I have been wondering about the same thing. Granted, I should have poked around a bit more to get myself more acclimated before posting, so please accept my sincerest (read: semi-sincere) apologies.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Next time have the thread title be "How Much money can I expect from various T14 schools?" It will come across as more sincere.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 pm

I don't call flame often, but this is a flame.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:18 pm

thecilent wrote:I don't call flame often, but this is a flame.

I haven't decided if it's cute or sad yet

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Here's the deal, OP. While the site is called "Top Law Schools" and the forums are geared more towards/ more populated with people with better-than-average numbers, it is still one of the most clique-ish sites i've encountered. That is, whereas i belong in the threads for lower t14's and the T20, you should have never ventured past the harvard thread. there are like, 5 people who can commiserate with you and the rest of us hate your guts. (sorry) so in short, it's unlikely you're going to get a lot of advice in a chance-me thread without simultaneously getting a lot of shit for your ignorance of the law school admissions game.

bosox777

Postby bosox777 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:28 pm

glitter178 wrote:Here's the deal, OP. While the site is called "Top Law Schools" and the forums are geared more towards/ more populated with people with better-than-average numbers, it is still one of the most clique-ish sites i've encountered. That is, whereas i belong in the threads for lower t14's and the T20, you should have never ventured past the harvard thread. there are like, 5 people who can commiserate with you and the rest of us hate your guts. (sorry) so in short, it's unlikely you're going to get a lot of advice in a chance-me thread without simultaneously getting a lot of shit for your ignorance of the law school admissions game.

Banned on yankeesuck, presumably for swearing at BlueDiamond (I'll understand being banned again, admins, just wanted to defend myself to some extent/at least close things out; I know the internet is anonymous and it doesn't matter but I still don't like being called a liar)...thanks for the post, glitter, I guess that makes sense and I probably should be more aware of these things anyway. Posting in the first place really was knee-jerk, only posted after I saw one saying something very similar to what I wanted to say, and I probably should have done better research first.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:31 pm

bosox777 wrote:
glitter178 wrote:Here's the deal, OP. While the site is called "Top Law Schools" and the forums are geared more towards/ more populated with people with better-than-average numbers, it is still one of the most clique-ish sites i've encountered. That is, whereas i belong in the threads for lower t14's and the T20, you should have never ventured past the harvard thread. there are like, 5 people who can commiserate with you and the rest of us hate your guts. (sorry) so in short, it's unlikely you're going to get a lot of advice in a chance-me thread without simultaneously getting a lot of shit for your ignorance of the law school admissions game.

Banned on yankeesuck, presumably for swearing at BlueDiamond (I'll understand being banned again, admins, just wanted to defend myself to some extent/at least close things out; I know the internet is anonymous and it doesn't matter but I still don't like being called a liar)...thanks for the post, glitter, I guess that makes sense and I probably should be more aware of these things anyway. Posting in the first place really was knee-jerk, only posted after I saw one saying something very similar to what I wanted to say, and I probably should have done better research first.

you're going to get a lot of money to go to an awesome school. congratulations.

/endthread

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:33 pm

bosox777 wrote:(I'll understand being banned again, admins, just wanted to defend myself to some extent/at least close things out; I know the internet is anonymous and it doesn't matter but I still don't like being called a liar)

...and you want to be a lawyer?!

bosox777

Postby bosox777 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
bosox777 wrote:(I'll understand being banned again, admins, just wanted to defend myself to some extent/at least close things out; I know the internet is anonymous and it doesn't matter but I still don't like being called a liar)

...and you want to be a lawyer?!

Haha. Have I given away enough information to make me identifiable to admissions officers, and would that be a bad thing? My language was, at times, not fantastic...

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Wait a second, what just happened? Here's how I see this situation:

1. OP comes in here and asks (let's assume for a second) a legitimate question without knowing the answer.

2. BlueDiamond gets incredibly insecure and tells OP that his post makes him want to vomit and to go away.

3. OP gets upset, but then edits his post after realizing that he was excessively upset, even though he had just joined the website and was being ridiculed for not knowing how the process works.

4. BlueDiamond continues to ridicule OP, describing him as obnoxious and berates him for not knowing how to do a proper search.

5. OP is mature enough not to continue arguing against BlueDiamond's blatant insecurities and continued baiting.

6. OP gets banned.

Is that a fair summation? Is this guy an alt or something that we don't know? Otherwise that was just straight-up ridiculous.

bosox777

Postby bosox777 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:42 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Wait a second, what just happened? Here's how I see this situation:

1. OP comes in here and asks (let's assume for a second) a legitimate question without knowing the answer.

2. BlueDiamond gets incredibly insecure and tells OP that his post makes him want to vomit and to go away.

3. OP gets upset, but then edits his post after realizing that he was excessively upset, even though he had just joined the website and was being ridiculed for not knowing how the process works.

4. BlueDiamond continues to ridicule OP, describing him as obnoxious and berates him for not knowing how to do a proper search.

5. OP is mature enough not to continue arguing against BlueDiamond's blatant insecurities and continued baiting.

6. OP gets banned.

Is that a fair summation? Is this guy an alt or something that we don't know? Otherwise that was just straight-up ridiculous.

Haha well I was surprised. I did swear at him though, and he didn't say anything particularly insulting. Plus, I don't think I plan on posting anymore anyway after tonight, so I'm not worried about it.

Return to “What are my chances?”