a

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bloopyblooper

a

Postby bloopyblooper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 pm

redacted
Last edited by bloopyblooper on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

whymeohgodno

Re: Chances at the T14: 3.0/172

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:41 pm

ED to UVA.

If not your only realistic chance is probably Georgetown unless you have work experience post grad.

bloopyblooper

Postby bloopyblooper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:42 pm

redacted
Last edited by bloopyblooper on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

justadude55

Re: 3.0/172 Chances at the T14 please

Postby justadude55 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 pm

that will alleviate part of it, but your GPA is a 3.0. if you had 4.0's every other semester and failed that one, it would be a 3.5.

bloopyblooper

Postby bloopyblooper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:45 pm

redacted
Last edited by bloopyblooper on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whymeohgodno

Re: Chances at the T14: 3.0/172

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:46 pm

bloopyblooper wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:ED to UVA.

If not your only realistic chance is probably Georgetown unless you have work experience post grad.

even though my gpa due to health issues out of my control?

Sadly it won't matter enough to make up for a 3.0 GPA. You have to realize 3.0 is insanely low for T14 schools as a non URM. Your only realistic shot is to ED to splitter friendly schools or hope the lower T14 (Cornell/Georgetown) will bite. Georgetown definitely likes splitters more than Cornell though.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:47 pm

bloopyblooper wrote:
justadude55 wrote:that will alleviate part of it, but your GPA is a 3.0. if you had 4.0's every other semester and failed that one, it would be a 3.5.

I had a 3.5 in my first 2 years. jr and sr year, i was on a ton of meds

In your addendum make sure to make it clear that whatever medical issues you were dealing with have been completely resolved. If not it could hurt you.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:48 pm

sorry man. i can see being hit by a car and being in the hospital, etc. as alleviating circumstances. i think they'll definitely consider it, but a lot of people with gpa's like yours probably have compelling addendums....whether they're true is another story, but i would expect it to be a 3.0 and hope for the best.

i think u should blanket the lower t-14 minus berkley if ur goal is ranking.

bloopyblooper

Postby bloopyblooper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:49 pm

redacted

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Law schools are probably going to treat you like a 3.0, no matter how justified your excuse is. Also, 3.5--while good--isn't so good that adcoms are going to think that you were this amazing student before your illness. Plus, you could have taken a leave of absence. Therefore, you should really be picking your favorite splitter-friendly school and EDing if you want to land in the top 14. UVA and Georgetown would probably be your best bets. If you have any work experience after college, you could also ED switch to Northwestern.

bloopyblooper

Postby bloopyblooper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:27 pm

redacted

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:31 pm

bloopyblooper wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Law schools are probably going to treat you like a 3.0, no matter how justified your excuse is. Also, 3.5--while good--isn't so good that adcoms are going to think that you were this amazing student before your illness. Plus, you could have taken a leave of absence. Therefore, you should really be picking your favorite splitter-friendly school and EDing if you want to land in the top 14. UVA and Georgetown would probably be your best bets. If you have any work experience after college, you could also ED switch to Northwestern.

Hmm, I could have taken a leave of absence, yes (and I considered this in full with my parents), but I think if you were in my shoes without any idea of whether your illness were short or longterm, you would also stay in college and make the most of your remaining years.

Whatever illness I had has since passed with a good amount of medications and lifestyle changes, and I've mentioned this and details about the matter in my addenda.

My purpose in applying to law school is definitely not to get up the rankings list; I take atmospheric concerns into consideration along with a number of other factors. UVA, Georgetown, and Northwestern are all outstanding prospects (and I would love to attend any one of these schools), but I have already made the decision not to ED - financial reasons.

Whatever T14 you might get into, you will be paying sticker for it. If you can't pay sticker then you aren't going to T14.

bloopyblooper

Postby bloopyblooper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:35 pm

redacted

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:44 am

bloopyblooper wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
bloopyblooper wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Law schools are probably going to treat you like a 3.0, no matter how justified your excuse is. Also, 3.5--while good--isn't so good that adcoms are going to think that you were this amazing student before your illness. Plus, you could have taken a leave of absence. Therefore, you should really be picking your favorite splitter-friendly school and EDing if you want to land in the top 14. UVA and Georgetown would probably be your best bets. If you have any work experience after college, you could also ED switch to Northwestern.

Hmm, I could have taken a leave of absence, yes (and I considered this in full with my parents), but I think if you were in my shoes without any idea of whether your illness were short or longterm, you would also stay in college and make the most of your remaining years.

Whatever illness I had has since passed with a good amount of medications and lifestyle changes, and I've mentioned this and details about the matter in my addenda.

My purpose in applying to law school is definitely not to get up the rankings list; I take atmospheric concerns into consideration along with a number of other factors. UVA, Georgetown, and Northwestern are all outstanding prospects (and I would love to attend any one of these schools), but I have already made the decision not to ED - financial reasons.
Yeah, with a 3.0, scholarships in the top 14 aren't happening. Off the top of my head, your best chance in the top 20 at a scholarship would be WUSTL. I have your LSAT score, a lower GPA, and I got an $11,000/year offer there. If you want considerably more scholarship money, you'll need to go lower down the list. Your GPA is iffy in the top 14, so if you're comfortable missing out entirely on these schools or getting off the waitlists late in the cycle to get more money at schools in the 19-40 range, then don't ED. If the top 14 is more of a priority than money, then ED somewhere, and soon. Also, it's not just a vanity thing - the job prospects get very scary, very quickly as you drop down in the rankings. I am terrified of the debt I am acquiring (sticker at NU), but I'd be much more nervous even with an $11k/year scholarship at WUSTL.

I wasn't judging you, but I was just trying to tell you what an adcom might think. It's one thing to have a semester or two of bad grades, but bad grades for two years could make a law school wonder why you didn't leave if you were so sick. It's good that you're explaining this all to them, and I don't know the details of why you stayed, but it's a concern that they might have.

Whatever T14 you might get into, you will be paying sticker for it. If you can't pay sticker then you aren't going to T14.

Hmm. Ok, I will think about that. Hopefully my experiences will prove you wrong :)
Yeah, with a 3.0, scholarships in the top 14 aren't happening. Off the top of my head, your best chance in the top 20 at a scholarship would be WUSTL. I have your LSAT score, a lower GPA, and I got an $11,000/year offer there. If you want considerably more scholarship money, you'll need to go lower down in the rankings. Your GPA is iffy for the top 14, so if you're comfortable with the possibility of missing out entirely on these schools or getting off the waitlists late in the cycle, then don't ED. If the top 14 is more of a priority than money, then ED somewhere, and soon. Also, it's not just a vanity thing - the job prospects get very scary, very quickly as you drop down in the rankings. I am terrified of the debt I am acquiring (sticker at NU), but I'd be much more nervous even with an okay scholarship at WUSTL.

I wasn't judging you - just trying to tell you what an adcom might think. It's one thing to have a semester or two of bad grades, but bad grades for two years could make a law school wonder why you didn't leave if you were so sick. It's good that you're explaining this all to them, and I don't know the details of why you stayed, but it's a concern that they might have.

Dex

Postby Dex » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 pm

bloopyblooper wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
bloopyblooper wrote:

Hmm. Ok, I will think about that. Hopefully my experiences will prove you wrong :)

No offense - but they won't.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:39 pm

OP, the people on TLS aren't adcomm staff. Take the predictions with a grain of salt. I hope you will prove everyone wrong.

Return to “What are my chances?”