3.21/174 Applied RD, should I change any to ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
el pan de platano

3.21/174 Applied RD, should I change any to ED?

Postby el pan de platano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi,

3.21, 174, about 5 years out of undergrad, a couple years full time work in various fields, but nothing terribly impressive, a fair amount of extended world travel (I like to pretend it matters, but probably doesn't).

I applied everywhere Columbia - USC (-Berkeley, UT) and BC, BU, Davis, regular decision.

I would like to make sure to get T14, and the region doesn't matter to me (Biglaw to in-house counsel ideally).

Should I have ED'd anywhere? I understand it may not be too late to change my option at some schools. I would rather not commit to anywhere if I can help it, but I would rather do so than miss T14. Any advice?

Thanks.

czelede

Re: 3.21/174 Applied RD, should I change any to ED?

Postby czelede » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:22 pm

I think you should be able to swing RD acceptances from Cornell and Gtown - possibly Northwestern, with that WE. If you are okay with those options, you should be fine. If you want to break T10...ED UVA is the best way to lock that down. But I think you have chances at MVP RD as well (but only V if you're in state). Duke is a no go with that GPA most likely.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:25 pm

I'd be surprised if you got shut out of T14, especially Georgetown and Northwestern.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:29 pm

czelede wrote:I think you should be able to swing RD acceptances from Cornell and Gtown - possibly Northwestern, with that WE. If you are okay with those options, you should be fine. If you want to break T10...ED UVA is the best way to lock that down. But I think you have chances at MVP RD as well (but only V if you're in state). Duke is a no go with that GPA most likely.

This is exactly correct. ED to UVA if you're ok with it. That should get you t10. I think RD at MVP is a no-go, waitlist best-case scenario. Otherwise, don't ED and enjoy either Northwestern, Cornell, or Georgetown.

el pan de platano

Postby el pan de platano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks, it helps to know I have a good chance somewhere T14. I don't know that I would chose UVA over Cornell or Northwestern and definitely not over Michigan, so I guess I will leave as is.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Georgetown+Northwestern is almost a lock. Cornell isn't as splitter friendly but you've been out of undergrad for a while so I'd say you have a very good chance there.

UVA ED would also be a lock.

el pan de platano

Postby el pan de platano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm from CA and feel like UVA might be a bit right-leaning for me. Is this an accurate assessment of the school? Should it play into my decision making at all, or am I being short-sighted and intolerant? Would the improved ranking and commensurate bump in Biglaw placement percentage make it worth it? I realize these are all subjective questions but any thoughts are appreciated.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:54 pm

el pan de platano wrote:I'm from CA and feel like UVA might be a bit right-leaning for me. Is this an accurate assessment of the school? Should it play into my decision making at all, or am I being short-sighted and intolerant? Would the improved ranking and commensurate bump in Biglaw placement percentage make it worth it? I realize these are all subjective questions but any thoughts are appreciated.

I think it should come down to Northwestern vs UVA. Northwestern has been placing slightly better than MVP into biglaw, and you have a strong chance there.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Northwestern has comparable biglaw placement if that's your concern. I don't think there are many law schools that are outright "right-leaning." After all, it's law school. But from an overall culture standpoint, UVA is a bit less left than many other top law schools. And again, I don't think you stand any real chance at Mich, so if you're not EDing UVA simply because your holding out for UM, you might wanna think that over.

czelede

Postby czelede » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:10 pm

mst wrote:Northwestern has comparable biglaw placement if that's your concern. I don't think there are many law schools that are outright "right-leaning." After all, it's law school. But from an overall culture standpoint, UVA is a bit less left than many other top law schools. And again, I don't think you stand any real chance at Mich, so if you're not EDing UVA simply because your holding out for UM, you might wanna think that over.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true.

If you perform a search for 173-175, 3.0-3.3:

In the 2009-2010 cycle:
1 A
2 R
3 W

In the 2008-2009 cycle:
4 A
2 R (both R were around 3.0)

Now, while the 2009-2010 cycle certainly didn't look pretty for his (her?) numbers applying to Michigan it doesn't mean OP doesn't have a chance - splitter cycles vary a ton to begin with, and late applications have a huge impact on it. Those that were rejected/WL in the 09-10 cycle all had pretty poor cycles for their numbers.

el pan de platano

Postby el pan de platano » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks everybody. I'll leave it alone and try to think about anything besides law school for the next few months. The days, they pass so slow...

Return to “What are my chances?”