2.98/165 Chances in the T-25? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Platinum

Re: 2.98/165 Chances in the T-25?

Post by 2014 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:49 pm

downstream wrote:How good is your work experience? Namely, was your work experience good, i.e. did you enjoy working? This is the key to work experience.
Wow this is really thoughtful.

LS-Hopeful

New

Post by LS-Hopeful » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:04 pm

downstream wrote:How good is your work experience? Namely, was your work experience good, i.e. did you enjoy working? This is the key to work experience.

I don't see how that is relevant in evaluating work experience. Sure I would like to tend bar and meet drunk girls as my job but instead I chose to work in an international tax group at a multinational corporation, which I enjoy less. Do you think a law school would value my WE less because I didnt enjoy it as much as something easier? I don't follow.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:05 pm

I don't know why you asked for your chances in the T25 and when people ask you to elaborate on ethnicity, WE, etc., you argue like these things shouldn't matter. The fact remains, unless URM Hispanic(which means Puerto Rican or Mexican) you have no shot at T25. You're GPA is way too low. Most of these T25 schools have a 3.0 floor, unless you break 170. You need a 170 and you could probably get into a some top 25's. Otherwise no shot at T25, maybe T50 at sticker. But that's it. I would suggest a retake. On the other hand, if URM, everything I just said doesn't apply, Northwestern.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:20 pm

My guess is OP is not a URM since he is arguing the point so much. With that said, no chance at a T25. Also, don't ever go to LS banking on finishing top 10% and getting biglaw.

Also, you come off as extremely arrogant whenever you talk about your WE. It's good, but it isn't going to open any magic doors for you.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:16 pm

LS_Hopeful: Your thinking is correct. The MBA will set you apart since you have an accounting degree and valuable work experience. Indiana-Bloomington is an excellent choice in your situation.
Please note that my opinions often differ substantially with other TLS posters as I am older & quite experienced.
Also many law schools give an admission boost to Hispanics regardless of origin, although Puerto Ricans & Mexicans may get larger boosts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:23 am

CanadianWolf wrote:LS_Hopeful: Your thinking is correct. The MBA will set you apart since you have an accounting degree and valuable work experience. Indiana-Bloomington is an excellent choice in your situation.
Please note that my opinions often differ substantially with other TLS posters as I am older & quite experienced.
Also many law schools give an admission boost to Hispanics regardless of origin, although Puerto Ricans & Mexicans may get larger boosts.

I've seen someone get into Georgetown with a 3.8/ 165 as an "other" hispanic..... besides that nothing besides maybe a slight boost to 4.0/ 169's at Harvard or Yale (maybe not Yale), which OP is not. I am Cuban and do not expect to get any type of boost. It can happen, but if I were OP I would not bank on it. Like I said before, suck it up and retake.

LS-Hopeful

New

Post by LS-Hopeful » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:44 pm

OK - In terms of my URM status, I am 1/4 Spanish. WEAK - I know.

The only reason I was probing at it is because I'm wondering if it would suffice as URM. At the same time, I wouldn't want to get on campus in the Fall and look like an idiot as I'm very anglo-looking.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I do acknowledge that my GPA might be low for the T25 with a 165, but really feel like WE is overlooked in these forums, as all of my colleagues that have gone from corporate finance to Biglaw attribute their being hired solely to their WE.

LS-Hopeful

New

Post by LS-Hopeful » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:45 pm

FuManChusco wrote:My guess is OP is not a URM since he is arguing the point so much. With that said, no chance at a T25. Also, don't ever go to LS banking on finishing top 10% and getting biglaw.

Also, you come off as extremely arrogant whenever you talk about your WE. It's good, but it isn't going to open any magic doors for you.

I'll have a martini please

Dex

New

Post by Dex » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:48 pm

LS-Hopeful wrote:OK - In terms of my URM status, I am 1/4 Spanish. WEAK - I know.

The only reason I was probing at it is because I'm wondering if it would suffice as URM. At the same time, I wouldn't want to get on campus in the Fall and look like an idiot as I'm very anglo-looking.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I do acknowledge that my GPA might be low for the T25 with a 165, but really feel like WE is overlooked in these forums, as all of my colleagues that have gone from corporate finance to Biglaw attribute their being hired solely to their WE.
No.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:36 pm

-You're not a URM.
-Your work experience isn't going to matter as much as your class ranking / law journal.
-It's foolish to expect to graduate in the top 10% of your class.
-Use lawschoolpredictor.com.
-Probably don't have much of a shot in t-25. Some chance at Illinois & Minnesota.

Chances also at Indiana and Iowa, but they're outside t-25. Focus on states where they grow corn is my advice.

Hope this helps.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:19 pm

LS-Hopeful wrote:OK - In terms of my URM status, I am 1/4 Spanish. WEAK - I know.

Lol, so you are 1/4 Spanish (as in from Spain)? Thats European bro, as in White, not Hispanic, do not check off the Hispanic box. For your own sake.

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 pm

well, being Spanish is Hispanic, that's where the term comes from. However, being Spanish certainly isn't URM

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:09 am

quetzal_bird wrote:well, being Spanish is Hispanic, that's where the term comes from. However, being Spanish certainly isn't URM
You cannot check off the Hispanic box if you are from Spain. There is a box that specifies European descent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LS-Hopeful

New

Post by LS-Hopeful » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:04 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
quetzal_bird wrote:well, being Spanish is Hispanic, that's where the term comes from. However, being Spanish certainly isn't URM
You cannot check off the Hispanic box if you are from Spain. There is a box that specifies European descent.

I checked the Hispanic box on my LSAT but probably won't apply as a URM. Technically, I am of Spanish descent.

Do I get a boost for having brown hair????

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:33 am

LS-Hopeful wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

I checked the Hispanic box on my LSAT but probably won't apply as a URM. Technically, I am of Spanish descent.

lol

Yeah, you will get a URM boost,.......but then they will immediatly take it away again for being stupid and having a 2.98/165

LS-Hopeful

New

Post by LS-Hopeful » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:40 am

sophia.olive wrote:
LS-Hopeful wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

lol

Yeah, you will get a URM boost,.......but then they will immediatly take it away again for being stupid and having a 2.98/165

Thas oK they WeRe Prob gonna make me Read ALOT in LS HUH???

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:24 am

Top 10% at IU will not get you chicago, Indianapolis maybe, Chicago no. I can honestly say I know 0 people from last years class that got chicago Big Law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:32 am

Do I get a boost for having brown hair????[/quote]
lol

Yeah, you will get a URM boost,.......but then they will immediatly take it away again for being stupid and having a 2.98/165[/quote]

Thas oK they WeRe Prob gonna make me Read ALOT in LS HUH???[/quote]

Yeah they will, lol. You should avoid law school.

Also, you should try to figure out what your lsat score is.
LS-Hopeful wrote:I scored a 172 on the June LSAT, but have a dreadfully low UGPA

I am a CPA with 3 years of work experience at a Dow 30 company, though...

Hoping to go to school in NY/MA/DC/VA or somewhere else on the East coast...

Chance me!
They tell you after you take it.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:17 am

LS-Hopeful wrote:I have a 165 and a 2.98

CPA with 3 years of WE in Finance at Intel

Founded a non-profit

Want to do a JD/MBA.

What is my best bet?
I think you have good enough W/E and a good enough LSAT to keep schools looking at your application. Maybe you can squeeze a feb lsat score in there for the admit.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:21 am

Honestly, with your kind of w/e, I'm not sure its even necessary to go to law school to get hired by a law firm. All they really care about is work experience. You should just start cold calling all the major big law players.

Good luck!!

People's Eyebrow

New

Post by People's Eyebrow » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:58 am

Spain is in Europe. No URM.

The Brown Hair line was one of the dumbest things I've heard on this site.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Batfink55

New

Post by Batfink55 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:08 am

Reading the various responses to his original post have nearly made me not want to go to law school for fear that I might have some of you as my classmates and/or colleagues in the future.

Honestly, perhaps some of you should spend less time with your head buried in an LSAT prep book and more time learning the art of tact and diplomacy.

Such venom--and for what? To belittle his accomplishments? Last I checked none of you were actually on admissions committees...

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:43 am

Batfink55 wrote:Reading the various responses to his original post have nearly made me not want to go to law school for fear that I might have some of you as my classmates and/or colleagues in the future.

Honestly, perhaps some of you should spend less time with your head buried in an LSAT prep book and more time learning the art of tact and diplomacy.

Such venom--and for what? To belittle his accomplishments? Last I checked none of you were actually on admissions committees...
Posts like this make me think the poster has never been on the Internet before. And yeah, if you have thin skin and have trouble with people challenging your ideas in a less-than-diplomatic way - maybe you should not go into law.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:00 pm

TommyK wrote:
Batfink55 wrote:Reading the various responses to his original post have nearly made me not want to go to law school for fear that I might have some of you as my classmates and/or colleagues in the future.

Posts like this make me think the poster has never been on the Internet before. And yeah, if you have thin skin and have trouble with people challenging your ideas in a less-than-diplomatic way - maybe you should not go into law.
+1

None of us are on the admissions committees... yet he came to us for advice (see op/title of thread). Furthermore, most of us have been through the admissions process.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:13 pm

someone is new to TLS

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”