This is the only one of these I'll do, but hoping for Wisc?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gobuffs10

This is the only one of these I'll do, but hoping for Wisc?

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:06 am

Not sure if any of you saw my transcript question in the admissions forum, but basically my UGPA would have been 3.5 after this semester. The problem is I screwed around my first 2 years of school, so my GPA according to LSAC is a 2.59. I scored a 156 on my first LSAT, which puts me at the lower end of Wisconsin's spectrum. I'm retaking next weekend.

I never really had T14 aspirations; I don't have the mentality needed to get in to those schools and succeed anyway (not meant as a slight...when all you T14ers get out, you'll be much better off than me. I'm just not very competitive).

I kinda have my heart set on Wisconsin. Top 50, which is fine with me, Madison looks pretty, and it is in the middle of 3 job markets. It seems that according to LSP, if I can top 165, which I know I can, then I have a shot at Wisconsin. I know I can top 165, I just don't know that I can top it next weekend. I decided to retake about a month ago, and between that and 18 credit hours I don't feel that I have studied enough. I'm going to keep taking PTs until next Thursday before I decide whether or not to take Saturday.

So if I can get 165, is Wisconsin going to be realistic? Would it be more advisable to wait until next cycle to distance myself from my grades? Is an extreme upward grade trend going to be a factor? I ask this because LSP and LSN are based solely off of numbers; I have no way of evaluating my app as a whole. And if I get waitlisted, what does a LOCI do for me? Thanks. I promise this is the only one of these I'll make.

Grizz

Re: This is the only one of these I'll do, but hoping for Wisc?

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:21 am

Sub 2.59 is hard to say. You'll have a shot with a 165. Not a good one though. Make the highest score you can and come back to the "What are my chances" forum when you get your score back.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:40 am

I hate it when I don't hear what I want to.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:50 am

Law admissions is almost exclusively a numbers game, with a few exceptions (such as URM status or extremely special softs- but even then there are generally very particular number cutoffs that come into play). Writing an addendum if you have a strong upward trend is probably a good idea, but it will only help IMO in a borderline situation; in other words, if your numbers basically put you in an auto-reject category at the outset an upward trend probably won't mean anything to an adcomm.

It's true that there are exceptions to the predictors (such as lawschoolpredictor.com) and statistical trends/ historical patterns of acceptances (such as on lawschoolnumbers.com), but I think that is a good place to start to get an idea of what your chances are. If you are a URM, of course that will increase your chances (but I didn't see you mention that you are). LSP has you as a 'weak consider' with a 165 at Wisconsin, which I believe means that your realistic chances of getting accepted are very slim with that score. However, at 166 it has you as "consider" which is good news I think if you end up hitting 166 or up.

Of course, until you get the actual score back you don't really know what you are working with. Good luck!

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:08 am

Yeah, I love that the 1 point takes me from Weak to Consider. Guess I'm gonna need some more right answers.

Thanks for the luck wishes. I should be asleep but I studied all day and passed out and now I'm awake. Bleh.

I dunno...I just refuse to believe that I can't get in anywhere I want to go. Good things happen sometimes.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:09 pm

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but have you looked at Marquette University? http://www.top-law-schools.com/marquette-law.html

It's still in the top 100, though not nearly as high as Madison. I don't know, if you're heart's set on the Wisconsin area, Marquette doesn't look to bad at all. And, your scores make you more competitive there. I'd say if you could pull up your LSAT to around 161 (which seems more realistic then a 166), you'd probably have a shot. Heck, even if you got a 166 I'd apply there anyway just in case (and maybe for some $$).

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:15 pm

Most useless thread ever. What makes you so confident you can 165+ the lsat if you pulled a 156 and aren't ready to take it now?

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Because I didn't study last time, and this test really isn't all that difficult to learn with the proper time. I'm glad that my worthless thread warranted a response from you though. Go away.

One more thing...being unprepared now has no bearing on if I can ever get a 165. I'm confident it can be done. I didn't ask you if I could or not. I asked whether if I can, what is my shot, how can I improve that shot and what are my alternate options. After looking at your profile, you have pretty much the exact same GPA I do and got a 170. Congratulations. Don't hate me for trying to do what you did.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:18 pm

But he also has more swag than a pirate. So you've got that going against you.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:31 pm

That is true. I have absolutely no way to compete with that. Feels good man.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:49 pm

ok, dude. let me know when you get that 165 then. why don't you spend less time asking what your hypothetical chances are and more time studying. you seem like the kind of person who keeps saying they can do it but never does. you've singed up for two lsat administrations and you still haven't studied, so why would I suddenly think you're going to finish in the 93rd percentile. and even if you did, you're such a splitter, no one can accurately predict your chances anyway.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:55 pm

Have you ever PT'ed at 165? I find your odds very slim at Wisco with your numbers, but good luck anyway.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:58 pm

FuManChusco wrote:ok, dude. let me know when you get that 165 then. why don't you spend less time asking what your hypothetical chances are and more time studying. you seem like the kind of person who keeps saying they can do it but never does. you've singed up for two lsat administrations and you still haven't studied, so why would I suddenly think you're going to finish in the 93rd percentile. and even if you did, you're such a splitter, no one can accurately predict your chances anyway.

Pot calling the kettle black, I would say. I say I can but never do? My 22 posts have provided you with that much insight, eh? You are right on one thing; I should be studying more.
Last edited by gobuffs10 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:59 pm

TheOcho wrote:Have you ever PT'ed at 165? I find your odds very slim at Wisco with your numbers, but good luck anyway.

No, not yet. Only taken 4 PTs. Since I'm not there yet I'm thinking of waiting.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:06 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:
TheOcho wrote:Have you ever PT'ed at 165? I find your odds very slim at Wisco with your numbers, but good luck anyway.

This. Wait until next cycle.

Chants

Postby Chants » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:07 pm

You want to raise your score 9-10 points, you scored poorly the first time because you didn't study, since then you have only taken four PT's and are expecting that 9-10 point increase by next weekend...

Did i pretty much sum this up? More importantly, looking at that quick synopsis, do you see how ridiculous this is?

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. Where I'm at now I'm not in anywhere, much less Wisconsin. I decided late October to retake, and I just don't believe 5 weeks was enough time, especially with 18 credit hours. Not everything is in place right now.

Nobody else need reply. Sorry for getting into with you Fu, just don't see why you had to come after me. You could have read it and moved on.

Thanks everyone.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Chants wrote:You want to raise your score 9-10 points, you scored poorly the first time because you didn't study, since then you have only taken four PT's and are expecting that 9-10 point increase by next weekend...

Did i pretty much sum this up? More importantly, looking at that quick synopsis, do you see how ridiculous this is?

Oh yes, I know it's absolutely absurd. Parental pressure is all...if it were up to them I'd go to Cooley at sticker. "A school is a school" they tell me. So once the October results came back they immediately had me sign up to retake.

I told them I wanted to wait and got reamed.

As far as the PTs go, I was following the schedule laid out in my Power Score class. A month cramming just isn't a good idea.

EDIT: I'm very sorry if I'm being a pain in the ass. I'm not trying to be. This whole process is a bit overwhelming. I think it's probably a good time to be a big boy and tell mommy and daddy I'm not ready to take this test yet though.

sissyclark

Postby sissyclark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that you won't get in. I sincerely doubt you'll pull off a 165+ with your lack of preparation (and admitted overall laziness). Couple that with your insanely low GPA, and I just don't see it happening.

Chants

Postby Chants » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:22 pm

It's all good. That is what the site is here for. While usually harsh and blunt, the advice given on TLS is a good starting point to get some decent advice (obviously, use it as a reference tool..not as gospel)

If you want to go now, take it next weekend and see how your #'s line up for Marquette. If you really want Wisconsin, tell your parents why you want it so bad (practical things that they can appreciate like job prospects etc) and explain to them that you plan to gain some work experience, study harder and wait a year.

EDIT- but by waiting a year, you are not going to magically get a 165. If you want law school, especially @ Wisconsin, with your GPA, you need to bust your ass and put in the work during this next year. Treat this summer like LSAT summer school.

Good luck to you.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Yeah. The work needs to be there and it's not. Right now my main concern is making sure my GPA doesn't get any worse. Maybe a year WE will do something. And yeah you're right...there is no magic improvement by waiting. There will only be more time to study. Thanks. I need the luck. It's frustrating that my decisions as an 18 year old kid are haunting me, but so it goes.

And sissy, I wouldn't say I'm lazy. I can be, certainly. But really what happened with the first LSAT was I thought, "Oh, I've gotten 97+ percentile on every test I've ever taken. I don't need to prepare for this."

Basically I was a cocky jackass and it bit me. I'm trying harder this time around, but after being in class all day, then 3 hour LSAT classes 3x a week, I just don't have a handful of time to put into more studying. It's being split with school and finals. I should not have signed up for the December test, basically.

I didn't know anything about the admissions process to law school. I didn't know my old classes were going to have such an effect (I knew they would, but I didn't know retakes and the original class were counted...I have a lot of retakes). I thought it was pretty much have a decent GPA and do super well on this test and it was automatic. I was wrong, obviously. It's been a learning process and I'm learning that while I made it much more difficult for myself, I did not make it impossible. As far as 2011, it's just not the right time. We all make mistakes, right? Some idiots like me just make a lot of them.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:34 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:ok, dude. let me know when you get that 165 then. why don't you spend less time asking what your hypothetical chances are and more time studying. you seem like the kind of person who keeps saying they can do it but never does. you've singed up for two lsat administrations and you still haven't studied, so why would I suddenly think you're going to finish in the 93rd percentile. and even if you did, you're such a splitter, no one can accurately predict your chances anyway.

Pot calling the kettle black, I would say. I say I can but never do? My 22 posts have provided you with that much insight, eh? You are right on one thing; I should be studying more.

I don't think that applies here considering I actually studied for the lsat. I don't need 22 posts. you signed up twice, and didn't study twice. if I was a betting man, I wouldn't be placing my money on you getting a 165+. I realize I'm definitely being a dick right now. I'm self-aware.

also, not very easy to predict:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Panther7/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Modian/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Rjauburn10/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Leache/jd

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:48 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:

I don't think you should assume you can hit a 165+ on test day after taking only 4 PT's and never hitting 165. Put in a reasonable effort preparing for the LSAT and take it when you believe you're ready to get your highest possible score. Don't let your uncompetitive nature let you ruin your chances at Wisconsin.

Dex

Postby Dex » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:08 pm

TheOcho wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:

I don't think you should assume you can hit a 165+ on test day after taking only 4 PT's and never hitting 165. Put in a reasonable effort preparing for the LSAT and take it when you believe you're ready to get your highest possible score. Don't let your uncompetitive nature let you ruin your chances at Wisconsin.

+1

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:57 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:

I don't think that applies here considering I actually studied for the lsat. I don't need 22 posts. you signed up twice, and didn't study twice. if I was a betting man, I wouldn't be placing my money on you getting a 165+. I realize I'm definitely being a dick right now. I'm self-aware.

also, not very easy to predict:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Panther7/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Modian/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Rjauburn10/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Leache/jd

No, you're right. I shouldn't have asked. I should just shut up and study. I'm not placing any bets on it either, which is why I'm not going to take next Saturday unless some sort of miracle occurs.

I should have studied for October, and I shouldn't have been pressured into retaking when I was not comfortable. I approached this whole thing in a poor way. You have every right to be annoyed. I realize I look like an asshole for taking this so lightly the first time around. As far as the second goes, I am actually trying; it's really a time issue at this point. 5 weeks is not the proper amount of time. It wasn't just going to suddenly click.

As far as being confident I can at some point do 165, this test is learnable; I have every reason to believe that with proper studying it can (not will, but CAN) be done. It's by no means impossible. To clarify, 2 PTs were before the October test, and I've done 2 in the last week. Instructor said not to start them until after Thanksgiving. I don't know why. Again, not being there presently does not mean it can't happen.

Yeah, I came into this site hoping I was going to hear good news and I got the reality of the situation at present. I think anyone saying I won't or can't score 165 is being a little unfair, though. With 4 tests spaced out over 4+ months, I would say assessing my test taking skills would be to be coming to a pretty quick judgment. Fu, you're really not being a dick (other than the worthless post thing). I probably come off as an unrealistic jerk. Not my intent; my intent was simply to see if I COULD get a 165, what that would mean for a Wisconsin app and when I should apply. That is all. Sorry.

Return to “What are my chances?”