My odds at Fordham? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
seekay22

New

My odds at Fordham?

Post by seekay22 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:19 pm

deleted
Last edited by seekay22 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: My odds at Fordham?

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Actually take the test and get the score and then come back.. no reason to speculate on chances when you don't have the score yet

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:23 pm

I'd say something like a 50/50 shot at BC/Fordham, and very very small shot at BU/GW

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:28 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:Actually take the test and get the score and then come back.. no reason to speculate on chances when you don't have the score yet

seekay22

New

Post by seekay22 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 pm

Will respond with actual scores, obviously.

But was just wondering what people thought. If I'm not happy with my score, I'm not applying this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Well, Fordham's medians are 3.64/166. Since your GPA's below that, your LSAT needs to be a 166+ to have a decent chance IMO.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:36 pm

Well advice would be move your 166 up 2 or 3 points so you can get into all the schools you mentioned.. use the last week to work on the worst areas you have.. one more question correct per section should do it

seekay22

New

Post by seekay22 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping for the best!

I didn't think my GPA was such a liability since the average GPA at my school is low. Wouldn't admissions committees take that into account? I'd heard something about committees calculating your GPA based on school.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:40 pm

They only report the numbers so it will only give you a small boost if any in my opinion. To this day I wish I had attended a state university for free and just got a 3.95+

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:43 pm

seekay22 wrote:Yeah, I'm hoping for the best!

I didn't think my GPA was such a liability since the average GPA at my school is low. Wouldn't admissions committees take that into account? I'd heard something about committees calculating your GPA based on school.
Like BD said, it's a very slight boost (if at all). I wouldn't count on any help w/r/t a GPA boost.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:47 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:They only report the numbers so it will only give you a small boost if any in my opinion. To this day I wish I had attended a state university for free and just got a 3.95+
No your gpa would likely have been lower at a state institution. If you truly want a ultra high gpa with relatively little work involved, the Ivy League is the way to go (they have the highest average GPA of students graduating - about a 3.5-3.6). My state institution undergrad hIad an average graduating gpa of 2.6-2.7 and I'm aware of other state institutions that have similarly low average gpas.

I can only think of a few prestigious "brand name" schools with low average graduating gpas.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:They only report the numbers so it will only give you a small boost if any in my opinion. To this day I wish I had attended a state university for free and just got a 3.95+
No your gpa would likely have been lower at a state institution. If you truly want a ultra high gpa with relatively little work involved, the Ivy League is the way to go (they have the highest average GPA of students graduating - about a 3.5-3.6). My state institution undergrad hIad an average graduating gpa of 2.6-2.7 and I'm aware of other state institutions that have similarly low average gpas.

I can only think of a few prestigious "brand name" schools with low average graduating gpas.
Your analysis is terrible.

(Sorry, but if you have a 2.6 at Brown, you drop/transfer out. Our GPA floor is a C.)

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Anecdotal, but I had a 4.00 at my state UG before transferring to a T20. Would have been pretty easy to maintain a 3.9+ and graduate from there. Now I have to work much harder for lower grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seekay22

New

Post by seekay22 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:55 pm

I believe the average GPA at graduation at my school (I don't want to say for privacy reasons) was about a 3.3. I got cum laude. So hopefully law schools know that!

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Yes grade inflation is real, but did it ever occur to you that there are more factors than that? Like the sad truth that many state schools will take just about anyone with a high school diploma? So, yes grades are inflated, but it is a totally different group of students as well.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:23 pm

atresia wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Anecdotal, but I had a 4.00 at my state UG before transferring to a T20. Would have been pretty easy to maintain a 3.9+ and graduate from there. Now I have to work much harder for lower grades.
Same exact experience and I go to a different school than atresia. People who make those arguments like the one underlined above are uniformed and generally butthurt.

And seriously, how stupid do you have to be to not understand that a higher average graduating gpa =/= easier for an individual to get a higher gpa. Honestly, do you really not grasp how a higher average graduating gpa means very little in proving that it is easier to get a higher gpa.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:00 am

Of course the "average" at your school is lower than a 3.5. What kind of university has a mean gpa of over 3.5? Are you insane?

Edit: Also if you didn't go to some school like UC Berkeley for undergrad you shouldn't be complaining much about grade deflation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seekay22

New

Post by seekay22 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:10 am

Where did I complain? Or say that my school has deflated grades?

And yes, plenty of schools have a higher average than mine did.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:13 am

seekay22 wrote: My GPA was a 3.5 (but the average at my school is lower than that, so it was considered good).
How does this make sense at all? Your average at your school was lower than a 3.5 so your 3.5 should be considered good? lololol. I'm sorry but being above average of your school's mean GPA isn't something to be considered good when your considering law school.

Dex

New

Post by Dex » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:28 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
seekay22 wrote: My GPA was a 3.5 (but the average at my school is lower than that, so it was considered good).
How does this make sense at all? Your average at your school was lower than a 3.5 so your 3.5 should be considered good? lololol. I'm sorry but being above average of your school's mean GPA isn't something to be considered good when your considering law school.
For better or worse TITCR. If I had known that before choosing undergrad/major I definitely would have took the easiest major at my school. All that really matters in the long run is how high your GPA is (although supposedly HYP gives you a small boost).

seekay22

New

Post by seekay22 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:38 am

whymeohgodno, my only point was that a 3.5 at my school meant something different than a 3.5 than say, Harvard.

I don't see why that was so hard for you to understand. Nice to see that you got to laugh at loud.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:07 am

seekay22 wrote:whymeohgodno, my only point was that a 3.5 at my school meant something different than a 3.5 than say, Harvard.

I don't see why that was so hard for you to understand. Nice to see that you got to laugh at loud.
That's because Harvard is a top ivy, not because Harvard has more or less grade inflation than your school.

The mean gpa for your school does NOT matter. Stop deluding yourself into thinking your 3.5 is better than someone else's 3.5 at a different university (unless that school is HYP or other top top elite schools).

seekay22

New

Post by seekay22 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:45 am

Why do you care so much if I'm "deluding" myself?
I went to an Ivy with less grade inflation than most schools. All I was saying.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:47 am

seekay22 wrote:Why do you care so much if I'm "deluding" myself?
The poster's language was strong, but we're just trying to help. Don't bank on getting a GPA boost due to your UG ranking, that's all.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:48 am

seekay22 wrote:Why do you care so much if I'm "deluding" myself?
If the Ivy is HYP it can help you. I heard going to H/Penn/Cornell helps for their respective law schools as well. Other than that I wouldn't count on getting any boost.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”