chance at cornell?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Dex
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby Dex » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:06 pm

ran12 wrote:What I said may be a generalization but it tends to be one that is true. Obviously I didn't mean all people with WE are more mature or understand the real world better.

"People with WE are more mature and understand the real world better..."

I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school. From what I've seen, people with WE tend to be much more mature and understand what the world's like whereas kids in my situation tend to be more immature.

Anecdotal evidence can rarely be used to prove an absolutist argument, but can often be used to retort such an argument (see above for example of such argument).

Considering the people who doubt my assessment are in undergrad, I don't put much weight on what you say. You're taking it way too personally for some reason when all I did was give my viewpoint. In America we're allowed to say what we believe. If you're gonna say something, don't piggyback or try to refute others; make your own assessment.


Don't refute others? I see a bright future for this lawyer ladies and gentlemen.

Judge - "Counselor would you like to cross-examine the witness?"

ran12 - "No your Honor, I don't like to piggyback or refute others."

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Dex wrote:
ran12 wrote:What I said may be a generalization but it tends to be one that is true. Obviously I didn't mean all people with WE are more mature or understand the real world better.

"People with WE are more mature and understand the real world better..."

I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school. From what I've seen, people with WE tend to be much more mature and understand what the world's like whereas kids in my situation tend to be more immature.

Anecdotal evidence can rarely be used to prove an absolutist argument, but can often be used to retort such an argument (see above for example of such argument).

Considering the people who doubt my assessment are in undergrad, I don't put much weight on what you say. You're taking it way too personally for some reason when all I did was give my viewpoint. In America we're allowed to say what we believe. If you're gonna say something, don't piggyback or try to refute others; make your own assessment.


Don't refute others? I see a bright future for this lawyer ladies and gentlemen.

Judge - "Counselor would you like to cross-examine the witness?"

ran12 - "No your Honor, I don't like to piggyback or refute others."



This is a forum to try to help other people. You're not a lawyer kid and with your bitch attitude you prob will fail in law. No one likes a kid who thinks he's a lawyer before getting into law school.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:10 pm

lulz to the direction my chance thread has taken.

User avatar
Dex
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby Dex » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:13 pm

ran12 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
This is a forum to try to help other people. You're not a lawyer kid and with your bitch attitude you prob will fail in law. No one likes a kid who thinks he's a lawyer before getting into law school.


Considering the people who doubt my assessment are in undergrad, I don't put much weight on what you say. You're taking it way too personally for some reason when all I did was give my viewpoint. In America we're allowed to say what we believe. If you're gonna say something, don't piggyback or try to refute others; make your own assessment.


I'd agree with you, but I live in America - where I'm allowed to say what I believe.
Last edited by Dex on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Dex wrote:
ran12 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
This is a forum to try to help other people. You're not a lawyer kid and with your bitch attitude you prob will fail in law. No one likes a kid who thinks he's a lawyer before getting into law school.


Considering the people who doubt my assessment are in undergrad, I don't put much weight on what you say. You're taking it way too personally for some reason when all I did was give my viewpoint. In America we're allowed to say what we believe. If you're gonna say something, don't piggyback or try to refute others; make your own assessment.


I'd agree with you, but I live in America - where I'm allowed to say what I believe.


Yea you are but try to keep it positive and helpful. Thanks.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby kwais » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I learned alot about life by taking 3 years off and working. This is not to say that all people who go straight to law school are immature. However, the things you learn when you are having to budget and job hunt and go through the monotony of minimum wage jobs are real and hard to explain.
When I came back to school (my time off was between freshman and sophomore year) I saw a real difference between my own outlook and that of many 18-21 year olds, mainly in the area of entitlement and absolutism. Those tend to disappear with life experience.

To OP, good luck with Cornell. I have similar numbers and applied for fun.

mapes
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby mapes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:21 pm

@ ran12. i like how we agree on what OP should do in this thread haha. truce.

Edit: buuuttt... i don't see the difference between you being in grad school and me being a senior in undergrad has to do with the argument because neither of us have work experience.

k now truce :D

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:48 pm

krad wrote:lulz to the direction my chance thread has taken.


tbf, from the responses alone it seems fairly easy to tell that ran12 is having some maturity issues of his own. To be frank, it's more about the person than it is about the experiences. Sure, a lot of experience will benefit a person and change their outlook on life, but understanding work is hard isn't a necessary condition for maturity. Some of the lulziest law school stories i've heard are from NW people (26-28) passing out, drinking excessively, doing crazy shit, etc. In fact, I think the one major difference with these people with significant work experience is they can manage being a drunken buffoon and work their asses off. That's really the only difference, the person in undergrad who acts like a buffoon is still going to act like a buffoon at 28, they'll just handle it better.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
krad wrote:lulz to the direction my chance thread has taken.


tbf, from the responses alone it seems fairly easy to tell that ran12 is having some maturity issues of his own. To be frank, it's more about the person than it is about the experiences. Sure, a lot of experience will benefit a person and change their outlook on life, but understanding work is hard isn't a necessary condition for maturity. Some of the lulziest law school stories i've heard are from NW people (26-28) passing out, drinking excessively, doing crazy shit, etc. In fact, I think the one major difference with these people with significant work experience is they can manage being a drunken buffoon and work their asses off. That's really the only difference, the person in undergrad who acts like a buffoon is still going to act like a buffoon at 28, they'll just handle it better.


Big surprise coming from Splitter University :D

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:26 pm

Never said I was mature.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 am

ran12 wrote:I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school.


I hope you're not getting an MBA. Because that would be worthless.

OP, shoot an app to Cornell, but you're almost assuredly not getting in.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:00 am

rad law wrote:
ran12 wrote:I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school.


I hope you're not getting an MBA. Because that would be worthless.



I was thinking the same thing, if it is an MBA i'm shocked he got in. Hopefully, it's a masters in accounting or finance, otherwise he just wasted 2 years of his life.

User avatar
cortnf
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby cortnf » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:33 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
rad law wrote:
ran12 wrote:I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school.


I hope you're not getting an MBA. Because that would be worthless.



I was thinking the same thing, if it is an MBA i'm shocked he got in. Hopefully, it's a masters in accounting or finance, otherwise he just wasted 2 years of his life.


maybe i'm out of the loop, but why is an MBA from duke worthless?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:49 am

cortnf wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
rad law wrote:
ran12 wrote:I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school.


I hope you're not getting an MBA. Because that would be worthless.



I was thinking the same thing, if it is an MBA i'm shocked he got in. Hopefully, it's a masters in accounting or finance, otherwise he just wasted 2 years of his life.


maybe i'm out of the loop, but why is an MBA from duke worthless?


MBA, with zero work experience, is useless. An mba is useful when adding upon work experience that you have to hone and maximize your skills. An MBA generally is used to further your career, companies or firms expect you to get one at a certain level to reach another level of management. Without any business experience the person is going to have zero idea how to apply what he is learning and, therefore, it is essentially useless. MBA's with no work experience also can hurt you in your career progression. Someone who goes straight through, generally, will be competing for the same jobs that they would have out of undergrad. They aren't going to get into a management position at a bank or consulting firm just because they have an MBA. So, they will be treated no differently in the hiring process than an undergrad which is why it is a waste. Not to mention, after the 3-4 years at that firm or company, when it's time to evaluate who gets into management, a lot of companies will pay for people to get their MBA with the agreemnet they come back afterwards. This person will not have this option and will be judged solely on his work experience and won't get any boost for the possibility that he/she could have gotten into a top 5 business school or the like. Generally, people who get an MBA with zero work experience are actually hurting their careers.

User avatar
cortnf
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby cortnf » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
cortnf wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, if it is an MBA i'm shocked he got in. Hopefully, it's a masters in accounting or finance, otherwise he just wasted 2 years of his life.


maybe i'm out of the loop, but why is an MBA from duke worthless?


MBA, with zero work experience, is useless. An mba is useful when adding upon work experience that you have to hone and maximize your skills. An MBA generally is used to further your career, companies or firms expect you to get one at a certain level to reach another level of management. Without any business experience the person is going to have zero idea how to apply what he is learning and, therefore, it is essentially useless. MBA's with no work experience also can hurt you in your career progression. Someone who goes straight through, generally, will be competing for the same jobs that they would have out of undergrad. They aren't going to get into a management position at a bank or consulting firm just because they have an MBA. So, they will be treated no differently in the hiring process than an undergrad which is why it is a waste. Not to mention, after the 3-4 years at that firm or company, when it's time to evaluate who gets into management, a lot of companies will pay for people to get their MBA with the agreemnet they come back afterwards. This person will not have this option and will be judged solely on his work experience and won't get any boost for the possibility that he/she could have gotten into a top 5 business school or the like. Generally, people who get an MBA with zero work experience are actually hurting their careers.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby NayBoer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
krad wrote:lulz to the direction my chance thread has taken.


tbf, from the responses alone it seems fairly easy to tell that ran12 is having some maturity issues of his own. To be frank, it's more about the person than it is about the experiences. Sure, a lot of experience will benefit a person and change their outlook on life, but understanding work is hard isn't a necessary condition for maturity. Some of the lulziest law school stories i've heard are from NW people (26-28) passing out, drinking excessively, doing crazy shit, etc. In fact, I think the one major difference with these people with significant work experience is they can manage being a drunken buffoon and work their asses off. That's really the only difference, the person in undergrad who acts like a buffoon is still going to act like a buffoon at 28, they'll just handle it better.
Is BP a good sample?

When you go to school from age five (or, if you attended pre-school, age three) to age twenty-one, then your whole life has really been school. Everything is school. You're going from academia to higher academia where the attitude is that learning is valuable for its own sake. That's how law schools act, even Northwestern. When you're out of school for a few years, your perspective really does change, especially if you actually have to support yourself, as well as a very demanding cat. You're quitting a job in which no one cares if you're happy. It's more of a strict business transaction, so you don't have any illusions that you're supposed to be getting something out of it other than a paycheck. I've seen a lot of people on TLS get all excited about going back to school, being in class all day, participating in social events. That's great, but I was giving up a really good job and a comfortable income to be here. I'm very aware every day what I have traded in and what I could lose if I don't get a job out of this. I'm just not so sure that people who haven't had experience past college are as intimately aware of what awaits them. On the plus side, they're in school mode, so maybe it's not as much of a culture shock to them.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:52 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
krad wrote:lulz to the direction my chance thread has taken.


tbf, from the responses alone it seems fairly easy to tell that ran12 is having some maturity issues of his own. To be frank, it's more about the person than it is about the experiences. Sure, a lot of experience will benefit a person and change their outlook on life, but understanding work is hard isn't a necessary condition for maturity. Some of the lulziest law school stories i've heard are from NW people (26-28) passing out, drinking excessively, doing crazy shit, etc. In fact, I think the one major difference with these people with significant work experience is they can manage being a drunken buffoon and work their asses off. That's really the only difference, the person in undergrad who acts like a buffoon is still going to act like a buffoon at 28, they'll just handle it better.
Is BP a good sample?

When you go to school from age five (or, if you attended pre-school, age three) to age twenty-one, then your whole life has really been school. Everything is school. You're going from academia to higher academia where the attitude is that learning is valuable for its own sake. That's how law schools act, even Northwestern. When you're out of school for a few years, your perspective really does change, especially if you actually have to support yourself, as well as a very demanding cat. You're quitting a job in which no one cares if you're happy. It's more of a strict business transaction, so you don't have any illusions that you're supposed to be getting something out of it other than a paycheck. I've seen a lot of people on TLS get all excited about going back to school, being in class all day, participating in social events. That's great, but I was giving up a really good job and a comfortable income to be here. I'm very aware every day what I have traded in and what I could lose if I don't get a job out of this. I'm just not so sure that people who haven't had experience past college are as intimately aware of what awaits them. On the plus side, they're in school mode, so maybe it's not as much of a culture shock to them.


My point was more that acting "mature" is more a product of a person and less a product of the experiences they gained between 22-26. A person may change due to circumstances like a kid or whatnot, but that person will always be the guy who has the maturity of someone who wants to black out three times a week.

EDIT: BTW, I have a very demanding dog, too. lol
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dex
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby Dex » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:14 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
krad wrote:lulz to the direction my chance thread has taken.


tbf, from the responses alone it seems fairly easy to tell that ran12 is having some maturity issues of his own. To be frank, it's more about the person than it is about the experiences. Sure, a lot of experience will benefit a person and change their outlook on life, but understanding work is hard isn't a necessary condition for maturity. Some of the lulziest law school stories i've heard are from NW people (26-28) passing out, drinking excessively, doing crazy shit, etc. In fact, I think the one major difference with these people with significant work experience is they can manage being a drunken buffoon and work their asses off. That's really the only difference, the person in undergrad who acts like a buffoon is still going to act like a buffoon at 28, they'll just handle it better.
Is BP a good sample?

When you go to school from age five (or, if you attended pre-school, age three) to age twenty-one, then your whole life has really been school. Everything is school. You're going from academia to higher academia where the attitude is that learning is valuable for its own sake. That's how law schools act, even Northwestern. When you're out of school for a few years, your perspective really does change, especially if you actually have to support yourself, as well as a very demanding cat. You're quitting a job in which no one cares if you're happy. It's more of a strict business transaction, so you don't have any illusions that you're supposed to be getting something out of it other than a paycheck. I've seen a lot of people on TLS get all excited about going back to school, being in class all day, participating in social events. That's great, but I was giving up a really good job and a comfortable income to be here. I'm very aware every day what I have traded in and what I could lose if I don't get a job out of this. I'm just not so sure that people who haven't had experience past college are as intimately aware of what awaits them. On the plus side, they're in school mode, so maybe it's not as much of a culture shock to them.


Love it. :lol:




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8 and 7 guests