chance at cornell?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
krad

chance at cornell?

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:56 pm

This thread is as simple as the the title:

3.44/168/3 yrs above avg WE/good softs

Thoughts? Since I'm done with my other apps, I'm debating throwing an app there to see what happens...

im_blue

Re: chance at cornell?

Postby im_blue » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:00 pm

LSN results don't look promising - only 2 people got in with 3.3-3.5/168, and 1 of them is an extraordinary case who also got into Chicago.

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Thx blue. I figured it's prob not worth the app $.

That one app is an extreme outlier- I'd love to know the rest of that story.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:31 pm

krad wrote:Thx blue. I figured it's prob not worth the app $.

That one app is an extreme outlier- I'd love to know the rest of that story.

Got in off the waitlist. I guess miracles do happen.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Just take a shot at it. Cornell likes people with WE and LSN is a very small sample size.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:23 pm

ran12 wrote:Just take a shot at it. Cornell likes people with WE and LSN is a very small sample size.

Cornell likes WE?

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:24 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
ran12 wrote:Just take a shot at it. Cornell likes people with WE and LSN is a very small sample size.

Cornell likes WE?

as much as anyone else that doesn't demand it like NW.....

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:31 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Cornell likes WE?

People with WE almost always have an edge b/c they're more mature and understand the real world.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:32 pm

ran12 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Cornell likes WE?

People with WE almost always have an edge b/c they're more mature and understand the real world.

I don't think it makes up for being well below their 25th GPA. Only schools where WE makes/breaks people seems to be Northwestern.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:34 pm

ran12 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Cornell likes WE?

I just want to point out how ludicrous this statement is

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Yea I see what you're saying. Funny how at Northwestern WE is almost a requirement.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:37 pm

People with WE are more mature and understand the real world better. They're going back to school knowing what they want to do. A lot of kids who go straight to law school do it b/c they don't really know what they're looking for and they think law school is a good option.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:40 pm

ran12 wrote:People with WE are more mature and understand the real world better. They're going back to school knowing what they want to do. A lot of kids who go straight to law school do it b/c they don't really know what they're looking for and they think law school is a good option.

Hmm, i'm not sure how to respond to this seriously. There are tons of kids in undergrad who work their lives away to get through, as well as tons of people with work experience who are passing out at 3 am sunday mornings outside bars. Sure, as a general rule, people who go back to law school are better at knowing what they want to do, but that doesn't equate to maturity and "understanding the real world."

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
ran12 wrote:People with WE are more mature and understand the real world better. They're going back to school knowing what they want to do. A lot of kids who go straight to law school do it b/c they don't really know what they're looking for and they think law school is a good option.

Hmm, i'm not sure how to respond to this seriously. There are tons of kids in undergrad who work their lives away to get through, as well as tons of people with work experience who are passing out at 3 am sunday mornings outside bars. Sure, as a general rule, people who go back to law school are better at knowing what they want to do, but that doesn't equate to maturity and "understanding the real world."

I doubt that these kids working their lives away in undergrad would be going straight to law school. Logically, people with WE naturally would understand the real world better since they've been out there on their own, which hopefully has led to maturation. Anyway, we're getting pretty off topic here so let's just agree to disagree.

Dex

Postby Dex » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:39 pm

ran12 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

I doubt that these kids working their lives away in undergrad would be going straight to law school. Logically, people with WE naturally would understand the real world better since they've been out there on their own, which hopefully has led to maturation. Anyway, we're getting pretty off topic here so let's just agree to disagree.

Underlined = So since ALL people with work experience who go to law school know what they want to do (which isn't true btw), and A LOT of kids go straight to law school because they don't know what they are looking for, then ALL people with work experience are more mature and understand the real world better? Looks like someone's missed the exception in his own ridiculous ruleset.

Bold = Why would you doubt this? I honestly can't think of a good reason.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:44 pm

im_blue wrote:LSN results don't look promising - only 2 people got in with 3.3-3.5/168, and 1 of them is an extraordinary case who also got into Chicago.

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

Thought you were talking about me for a second. I had very similar numbers to OP, got into both Cornell and Chicago (which was more of a fluke or immense stroke of luck than anything else). I'm also hispanic so there may have been some URM boost that factored in.

mapes

Postby mapes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:45 pm

ran12 wrote: doubt that these kids working their lives away in undergrad would be going straight to law school.

This is far from the truth, in my opinion.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:48 pm

I'm loving the debate about WE, kids working in UG, and the real world. Please, keep it coming.

As for Cornell, I was curious to see peoples' thoughts. My SO would prefer any state besides NY (apparently his surgical specialty is extremely restricted in NY), so with that and the odds I'm seeing I'll probably just save my $ and spend it tomorrow on the santa pub crawl taking place in downtown Denver. Fun tomorrow > Ithaca? :wink:

mapes

Postby mapes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Oh and OP, if you can afford the application without much trouble, I think you should just fill it out. Chances aren't good but maybe they haven't had a kid from Colorado with great work experience in a long time, and they want one :wink:

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:52 pm

mapes wrote:Oh and OP, if you can afford the application without much trouble, I think you should just fill it out. Chances aren't good but maybe they haven't had a kid from Colorado with great work experience in a long time, and they want one :wink:

Thanks mapes :) I'll take that into consideration! I'm going to mull it over this weekend and maybe apply on Monday. Time will tell!

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:55 pm

What I said may be a generalization but it tends to be one that is true. Obviously I didn't mean all people with WE are more mature or understand the real world better.

I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school. From what I've seen, people with WE tend to be much more mature and understand what the world's like whereas kids in my situation tend to be more immature.

Considering the people who doubt my assessment are in undergrad, I don't put much weight on what you say. You're taking it way too personally for some reason when all I did was give my viewpoint. In America we're allowed to say what we believe. If you're gonna say something, don't piggyback or try to refute others; make your own assessment.

Dex

Postby Dex » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:55 pm

krad wrote:I'm loving the debate about WE, kids working in UG, and the real world. Please, keep it coming.

As for Cornell, I was curious to see peoples' thoughts. My SO would prefer any state besides NY (apparently his surgical specialty is extremely restricted in NY), so with that and the odds I'm seeing I'll probably just save my $ and spend it tomorrow on the santa pub crawl taking place in downtown Denver.
Fun tomorrow > Ithaca? :wink:

This is the correct response.

mapes

Postby mapes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:58 pm

ran12 wrote:What I said may be a generalization but it tends to be one that is true. Obviously I didn't mean all people with WE are more mature or understand the real world better.

I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school. From what I've seen, people with WE tend to be much more mature and understand what the world's like whereas kids in my situation tend to be more immature.

Considering the people who doubt my assessment are in undergrad, I don't put much weight on what you say. You're taking it way too personally for some reason when all I did was give my viewpoint. In America we're allowed to say what we believe. If you're gonna say something, don't piggyback or try to refute others; make your own assessment.

mapes

Postby mapes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Oh and...
ran12 wrote:I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school.

ran12 wrote:Considering the people who doubt my assessment are in undergrad, I don't put much weight on what you say.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:03 pm

mapes wrote:Oh and...
ran12 wrote:I personally haven't had WE and I currently go to Duke B-school.

ran12 wrote:Considering the people who doubt my assessment are in undergrad, I don't put much weight on what you say.

I'm not in undergrad. Duke doesn't have undergrad for B-school.

Return to “What are my chances?”