Just did a last minute switch to GULC ED

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Marionberry

Just did a last minute switch to GULC ED

Postby Marionberry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:57 pm

171, 3.0 w/ marked uptick halfway through undergrad.

Applied for Georgetown full time regular decision, and was surprised to get a request for an interview two weeks ago. Had the interview last monday, it went really well. Guy said that he was recommending me for admission, and all sorts of other nice crap.

So, realizing that GULC was probably my only shot at a top school (dinged outright at UVA, Cornell, and Texas, so apparently I'm not a special snowflake), and after clearing it with the fiancee, I went ahead and submitted my ED form today.

I'm hoping that since they wanted to interview me they were at least interested, and that a good interview and a switch to ED would put me over the top.

So.....what are my chances of this switch being a successful one?

thecilent

Re: Just did a last minute switch to GULC ED

Postby thecilent » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 pm

83% chance.

How is anyone supposed to answer this?

I'd say good. If the dude was recommending you for admission, you probs didn't even have to switch to ED. But I say you're in.

Hope you now feel comforted.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Well, I don't think it could possibly hurt. Good luck.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:04 pm

thecilent wrote:83% chance.

How is anyone supposed to answer this?

I'd say good. If the dude was recommending you for admission, you probs didn't even have to switch to ED. But I say you're in.

Hope you now feel comforted.

+1. More or less this.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 pm

thecilent wrote:Hope you now feel comforted.

Well, a little, I guess.

If I wanted well founded, reliable information TLS wouldn't be the first place I'd go. Right now, I want positive, reassuring speculation and anecdotal evidence indicating that I will get in.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 pm

The switch was a great move. How much it helps is anyone's guess. Unless you had 2+ years of good W/E, you have no shot at any other T14.

If you get WL'd, try to ED to teh PT program.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:06 pm

Marionberry wrote:

Well, a little, I guess.

If I wanted well founded, reliable information TLS wouldn't be the first place I'd go. Right now, I want positive, reassuring speculation and anecdotal evidence indicating that I will get in.

You bite your tongue for the bolded.

But I feel ya. I think you're getting in. The switch will put you over the top.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The switch was a great move. How much it helps is anyone's guess. Unless you had 2+ years of good W/E, you have no shot at any other T14.

I have two years of what I would consider decent work experience (drug/alcohol counselor at a licensed treatment facility), and I definitely considered NU. However, the fiancee didn't want chicago and I had to disclose some unsavory incidents from my past on the NU application, so I felt that Georgetown was the safe bet.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:08 pm

thecilent wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

Well, a little, I guess.

You bite your tongue for the bolded.

But I feel ya. I think you're getting in. The switch will put you over the top.

Woo Hoo!

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The switch was a great move. How much it helps is anyone's guess. Unless you had 2+ years of good W/E, you have no shot at any other T14.

I have two years of what I would consider decent work experience (drug/alcohol counselor at a licensed treatment facility), and I definitely considered NU. However, the fiancee didn't want chicago and I had to disclose some unsavory incidents from my past on the NU application, so I felt that Georgetown was the safe bet.

Then the move to ED to Gtown is the right one. Although I wonder why you had to admit stuff to NU and not Gtown.

Also 3.0/171 isn't safe for NU RD. It's auto-waitlist territory.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Well, I considered switching my NU app to early decision, which while it's after the deadline they said I could.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, my GULC alum interviewed me at a Denny's. While this was definitely less intimidating that it could have been, I was forced to eat Denny's, which was terrible.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Marionberry wrote:Well, I considered switching my NU app to early decision, which while it's after the deadline they said I could.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, my GULC alum interviewed me at a Denny's. While this was definitely less intimidating that it could have been, I was forced to eat Denny's, which was terrible.

Did she dine and dash?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:20 pm

Marionberry wrote:171, 3.0 w/ marked uptick halfway through undergrad.

Applied for Georgetown full time regular decision, and was surprised to get a request for an interview two weeks ago. Had the interview last monday, it went really well. Guy said that he was recommending me for admission, and all sorts of other nice crap.

So, realizing that GULC was probably my only shot at a top school (dinged outright at UVA, Cornell, and Texas, so apparently I'm not a special snowflake), and after clearing it with the fiancee, I went ahead and submitted my ED form today.

I'm hoping that since they wanted to interview me they were at least interested, and that a good interview and a switch to ED would put me over the top.

So.....what are my chances of this switch being a successful one?

You didnt ED to UVA did you? because you should have gotten in....

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Did she dine and dash?

No, my interviewer graduate long ago and was actually able to establish a good career. Had they been a recent graduate, I could see that happening.
AssumptionRequired wrote:You didnt ED to UVA did you? because you should have gotten in....

Nope, didn't ED to UVA. Too far from a major metro area for my SO's job to transfer, and I was holding out for another school that doesn't offer ED so I applied RD to UVA. My rejection there was to be expected, but I had a fee waiver so it was worth a shot I foolishly wasted $12 on the LSAC report.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:30 pm

You should be in.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Marionberry wrote:

I'm curious about this too, how did you have to admit stuff to NU but not GULC? Does NU ask for charges and convictions and GULC only ask for convitctions or something?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:54 pm

RJ127 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

I'm curious about this too, how did you have to admit stuff to NU but not GULC? Does NU ask for charges and convictions and GULC only ask for convitctions or something?

Without being too specific, yes. Something along those lines.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:11 am

Are you allowed to switch from RD to ED? I had a friend who tried to do the same thing and was denied.

Dex

Postby Dex » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:01 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Are you allowed to switch from RD to ED? I had a friend who tried to do the same thing and was denied.

I did about a week ago for Penn, and the OP obviously did for GULC. Just call the admissions office and ask.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:04 pm

In my opinion based on prior dealings with Georgetown admissions, I would not rely too heavily on an interviewer's remarks. The better play may have been to switch to Northwestern ED while awaiting Georgetown's decision.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:29 pm

PT is likely to become more selective this year, with the reduced enrollment from 130 to 80. Also, they're no longer going to auto-approve PT->FT switches without a significant change in circumstances. So going from ED FT WL to ED PT is probably not an option any more, since they're trying to close the backdoor.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=131953&start=2355

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:57 pm

At least you know that graduating from GULC means you can afford Denny's down the road! :)

Sounds like a good call you made though for sure. U.Va, NW, and GULC were your only real shots at T14, and by ruling out the first two, you have maximized your chances. Good luck!

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm in! I may very well have gotten in without the ED, but either way I'm happy.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Marionberry wrote:I'm in! I may very well have gotten in without the ED, but either way I'm happy.

Congrats! The ED most likely put you over the top, since they accept very few sub-3.3/170-171's RD.

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... =1&type=jd

Return to “What are my chances?”