How much weight does a 4.0 Major GPA have?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
noleknight16

How much weight does a 4.0 Major GPA have?

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 am

I haven't taken my LSATs yet but I practice test around 160-165 range and my GPA is 3.6. I was an engineering major (wanted IP law) but my GPA was quickly dipping so I made the switch to poli sci since law was more important than engineering. Ever since the switch, my GPA is a 3.95 and my major GPA is a solid 4.0. How much weight would this add to my application with the upward trend and 4.0 major GPA? Since I don't have my LSATs in my question is more to do with chances being increased with the major GPA.

I'm looking at schools in the south atlantic region (specifically VA, NC, DC) but would be fine with schools in GA. FSU is an option since I live in state but I'd prefer not to. I'm not afraid to move midwest (IL, OH, MI) or out to like Colorado (no cali for me though). Basically I'll move to get into the best school possible, hoping that school is in the south atlantic.

If I had to compile a list:

UVA (early decision)
William and Mary
Washington and Lee
George Washington
George Mason
UNC
Wake
UGA
Emory
FSU
Colorado
Illinois
Indiana Bloomington
Wisconsin

djjf39

Re: How much weight does a 4.0 Major GPA have?

Postby djjf39 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:55 am

Upward GPA trend and 4.0 Major GPA will be factors that distinguish you from other candidates with your other metrics.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:56 am

Absolutely none, possibly even less than that.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:04 am

D. H2Oman wrote:Absolutely none, possibly even less than that.

Goes too far in the other direction, probably.

OP: very little, if any. Law school's don't report major GPA's to USNWR. As is true of just about any factor that's not LSAC GPA/LSAT, it will help if you are exactly tied w/ another applicant. Chances of that happening...not good.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:11 am

noleknight16 wrote:I haven't taken my LSATs yet

No actual LSAT = no chances.

You're 4.0 Major isn't gonna matter much, if at all.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:12 am

rad law wrote:

I'm taking next Saturday. I've taken a good amount of practice tests and I average out to about 163. So let's just say 163 with the 3.6, average softs, good LORs, and a 4.0 major GPA.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:16 am

noleknight16 wrote:
rad law wrote:

I'm taking next Saturday. I've taken a good amount of practice tests and I average out to about 163. So let's just say 163 with the 3.6, average softs, good LORs, and a 4.0 major GPA.

If not a URM, I speak from experience...you'll be lucky to crack T30. Go to a school in a region where you want to live. It's hardly novel advice for this forum, but it's still the right advice. Your diverse geographic interests not only mean you're likely to exercise less control over where you end up, but also your lack of ties to a region is likely to get you OCIpwned.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:28 am

noleknight16 wrote:
rad law wrote:

All advice is still useless. Even 1 point can make a difference. Just apply to a wide range of schools at the top and bottom of your range, and come back for actual chances when you have a score.

Return to “What are my chances?”