Duke Priority Reserve - What does it mean at this point?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Odds of acceptance with this situation

Poll ended at Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:19 am

100%
15%
75%
8%
50%
No votes
25%
15%
Crying in a corner for hours (aka 0%)
62%

Total votes: 13

SirWilliam1022

Duke Priority Reserve - What does it mean at this point?

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 am

Everybody on PR seems to have pretty impressive numbers and the numbers of those who have been accepted thus far are godly (like Harvard and Yale level). I am assuming many of those already accepted will fall off. Is this a reasonable interpretation of where we are now? It seems like a YP just because of the number of Priority Track applicants with godly numbers who took the time to apply. However, I know saying this seems like wishful thinking. Thoughts?

Poster: 3.65 (pretty weak undergrad with extenuating circumstances), 174 (retake of a 163), decent softs, followed up with an additional LOR and a LOCI that answered the Why Duke question

123kl

Re: Duke Priority Reserve - What does it mean at this point?

Postby 123kl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 am

I think people with high numbers but who did not write a Why Duke? are traditionally put on the Priority Reserve list.

leggy1T1

Postby leggy1T1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:35 am

123kl wrote:I think people with high numbers but who did not write a Why Duke? are traditionally put on the Priority Reserve list.

I'm not sure this is true... I have a 3.9 GPA, 175 LSAT and also wrote a "Why Duke" essay. Got an email confirming PR waitlist on Tuesday.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:06 am

leggy1T1 wrote:
123kl wrote:I think people with high numbers but who did not write a Why Duke? are traditionally put on the Priority Reserve list.

I'm not sure this is true... I have a 3.9 GPA, 175 LSAT and also wrote a "Why Duke" essay. Got an email confirming PR waitlist on Tuesday.

I think you are a bit late to the game. Take a look at the Duke LSN graph. That's a lot of green dots ... They haven't even started ED decisions yet. They must have an unofficial quota of PT admits and I think they are probably around or beyond that now.

Fact is last year no one got off the PR or regular WL. I don't know if there are people who deferred to this year. You can hope for a gentler cycle this time around and they actually need to pluck people off the list. However I wouldn't bank anything on it.

ETA: Duke has a really small class. Count the green dots. And LSN is but a small part of the overall pool.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:18 pm

R6... thanks for the honest input. At this point, I don't think it actually means too much in light of looking at the same LSN numbers. There have been a lot of acceptances during the PT period which is true, but they haven't had a chance to see who would fall off yet. Today alone three of those accepted people withdrew after other acceptances (one Columbia and two Harvards). Additionally, everybody else accepted seems to have applied to the entire T14. The question is how much of this thawing was anticipated, did they plan on shoving any Priority Reserves into any of those spots, and what will come of the EDs. That, at this point, is also just speculation meaning it could be very ugly or slightly less ugly.

Certainly not an ideal situation though. That said, I did send in a LOCI and I did receive a few kind remarks directly from Dean Hoye. So, I suppose we will see.

I also wanted to note that I didn't apply PT (offer wasn't extended to me) or ED... I did apply during one of the first few days of the cycle, however. Any other thoughts? Thanks for the input. Honest always beats positive.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm

I don't doubt that you would have a decent chance - if a space open up. Now you are at the mercy of the rest of the pool, your merit is no longer the driving factor. For them to review you and offer you a spot, a spot must first be available. Unlike UVA, Duke has a small class size, so if 200 people decides to send in deposits, you will have to wait until July and beyond even if one does withdraw. I would just proceed with other options, but keep this one open and actively pursue it. But I would also proceed with another school that you would be happy to attend. You gave yourself the best chance already by applying super early, now it's out of your hands. I applied in Sept too, and I am still UR. I look forward to a PR soon as well.

Perch

Postby Perch » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:08 am

Last edited by Perch on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:39 pm

I wouldn't read into it too much. You have a higher GPA. Since everything is based on medians and percentiles as opposed to means and averages I would say you have the same shot I had. Good luck

etlien

Postby etlien » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:57 am

Anybody been accepted off PR yet? When I called them a couple of weeks ago to ask about PR, they said they were already reviewing PR applicants.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:27 pm

etlien wrote:Anybody been accepted off PR yet? When I called them a couple of weeks ago to ask about PR, they said they were already reviewing PR applicants.

Don't believe them.

ohnowhattodo

Postby ohnowhattodo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Should additional LORs be sent via mail, email, LSAC?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Well I am withdrawing with $$ so hopefully one of you guys on PR stand a better chance getting in soon!

Return to “What are my chances?”