3.37/167, URM, minor alcohol violation

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kjadkins

3.37/167, URM, minor alcohol violation

Postby kjadkins » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 pm

I have a 3.37 at a pretty competitive VA university, a 167 LSAT (only took it once and can't afford to re-take, but I'm pretty happy with my score), and I'm on three different exec boards, including being president of my sorority and on student government exec. I'm also Native American and a first-generation college student, which I know helped me get in to undergrad.

My major concern is an alcohol violation that I got when I was 19. It was just a basic underage drinking incident, my RA saw me come home clearly intoxicated and reported me to the school. I was given a warning, but my school clears our records at the beginning of senior year if we only have one infraction, so technically the warning isn't even on my record anymore. Still, I was worried that law schools would find out about it anyway, so I included an addendum.

Basically, I'm wondering what you guys think my chances are. These are the places I applied (in no particular preference order, I really don't have a first choice, I'm trying to keep my options open).

University of Virginia
Emory
William & Mary
George Mason
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
University of Richmond
University of Minnesota
University of Alabama
University of Cincinnati

I know some of those seem pretty random, I'd love to go to a VA or DC school but I'm also considering a few of the places that offered me fee waivers (why the heck not? Alabama even sent me an iTunes gift card for applying!) And I know some of those are a serious reach. I just don't want to miss out on a potential opportunity in case one of them actually sees something in me.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

stratocophic

Re: 3.37/167, URM, minor alcohol violation

Postby stratocophic » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:11 pm

kjadkins wrote:I have a 3.37 at a pretty competitive VA university, a 167 LSAT (only took it once and can't afford to re-take, but I'm pretty happy with my score), and I'm on three different exec boards, including being president of my sorority and on student government exec. I'm also Native American and a first-generation college student, which I know helped me get in to undergrad.

My major concern is an alcohol violation that I got when I was 19. It was just a basic underage drinking incident, my RA saw me come home clearly intoxicated and reported me to the school. I was given a warning, but my school clears our records at the beginning of senior year if we only have one infraction, so technically the warning isn't even on my record anymore. Still, I was worried that law schools would find out about it anyway, so I included an addendum.

Basically, I'm wondering what you guys think my chances are. These are the places I applied (in no particular preference order, I really don't have a first choice, I'm trying to keep my options open).

University of Virginia
Emory
William & Mary
George Mason
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
University of Richmond
University of Minnesota
University of Alabama
University of Cincinnati

I know some of those seem pretty random, I'd love to go to a VA or DC school but I'm also considering a few of the places that offered me fee waivers (why the heck not? Alabama even sent me an iTunes gift card for applying!) And I know some of those are a serious reach. I just don't want to miss out on a potential opportunity in case one of them actually sees something in me.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!
If you're willing to go as far west as Minnesota you should add WUSTL to your list. If you have a tribal card, you can apply for their full tuition Buder scholarship.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Aside from maybe UVA you should be in, and probably with $$$, at all of those schools. Actually, you probably have a really good shot at UVA as well.

Don't worry about the alcohol thing. As long as you disclosed, and it was a one time deal, it really shouldn't have any affect on your chances of admission.

Edit: I have no idea about your chance at Georgetown. They're way out of my league so I haven't looked into their admissions numbers.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Drinking thing is no bid deal. I would get rid of those schools from temple down. Keep Uminn. Maybe get rid of GM. A URM with your numbers won't have to settle for any of those. Maybe add a few other T14s you like.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Drinking isn't a big deal as long as you aren't a repeat offender. I think someone on this forum got rejected because he had multiple underage drinking violations even though he had nearly autoadmit numbers to a certain school.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 pm

One undergrad drinking violation won't matter esp if it'll be expunged. With your numbers you have a great shot at a ton of schools including other T14's because a female Native American is not very common. Also, you can try to apply for a LSAC fee waiver which will let you apply to most schools for free (still have to pay the $12 processing).

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Thank you all SO much for the input, I really appreciate it!

Return to “What are my chances?”