GPA change

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zrcm18

GPA change

Postby zrcm18 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:40 pm

It looks like I'll end up with a 4.0 this semester (if I dont bomb my finals, of course), my GPA according to my university is a 3.7, but LSAC is a 3.58....obviously with a 4.0 it will still bump it up....that being said, will an increase in my GPA have any effect on my applications that have already submitted? If a school hasn't made a decision by that point, or if i'm waitlisted, will they make a decision based upon the updated GPA....or by the GPA they currently have as of now? Moreover, what if a school has rejected me, but my new GPA puts me over their median....am I SOL at that point, or can I send them an e-mail asking to be re-reviewed? These questions may be no-brainers for some, but I'm a little out of the loop...

Also, when schools determine merit scholarships....which GPA takes precendence? The one at the time of submission, or the most recent one?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

gambelda

Re: GPA change

Postby gambelda » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm not sure on which GPA they look at and if they will look at updates, but if you were rejectes you are in fact SOL for this cycle.

zrcm18

Postby zrcm18 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:47 pm

gambelda wrote:I'm not sure on which GPA they look at and if they will look at updates, but if you were rejectes you are in fact SOL for this cycle.

Thats what I figured. Even with a 4.0, my cumulative GPA obviously won't skyrocket, but it will probably bump up my LSAC GPA to a 3.6x.....

I'm hoping that maybe I wont hear back from some of my target schools until I get an updated transcript! It may just give me a little nudge!

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:06 pm

zrcm18 wrote:
gambelda wrote:I'm not sure on which GPA they look at and if they will look at updates, but if you were rejectes you are in fact SOL for this cycle.

Thats what I figured. Even with a 4.0, my cumulative GPA obviously won't skyrocket, but it will probably bump up my LSAC GPA to a 3.6x.....

I'm hoping that maybe I wont hear back from some of my target schools until I get an updated transcript! It may just give me a little nudge!

Kind of depends on where you applied and what their 25/median/75 numbers are. Might help a little. You can't really do much about it though.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 pm

zrcm18 wrote:

Assuming you're a senior, your GPA should be roughly (3.58*6+4)/7 = 3.64, which can be significant for admissions, especially if it bumps you over a median.

zrcm18

Postby zrcm18 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:20 pm

im_blue wrote:
zrcm18 wrote:

Assuming you're a senior, your GPA should be roughly (3.58*6+4)/7 = 3.64, which can be significant for admissions, especially if it bumps you over a median.

Any suggestions on what to do at this point? My final grades will be posted on December 17, so even if my school sent the transcripts right away, LSAC probably won't get them till around Christmas, and the schools may not get the updated transcript till maybe around January 1st......so should I e-mail some of the schools to inform them and ask if they would hold my file.....or would waiting until further into the cycle cancel out any benefit a GPA increase might be....

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:35 pm

zrcm18 wrote:
im_blue wrote:
zrcm18 wrote:

Any suggestions on what to do at this point? My final grades will be posted on December 17, so even if my school sent the transcripts right away, LSAC probably won't get them till around Christmas, and the schools may not get the updated transcript till maybe around January 1st......so should I e-mail some of the schools to inform them and ask if they would hold my file.....or would waiting until further into the cycle cancel out any benefit a GPA increase might be....

Again, it really depends on their median I think. I wouldn't have a school hold my file if my new gpa was still in between their median and 75. I probably would have them hold it if my new grades would bump me above the 25, median, or 75.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm

zrcm18 wrote:
im_blue wrote:
zrcm18 wrote:

Depends on the schools. You should definitely hold your apps if their median is between your old GPA and new GPA.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Depends on the school in terms of whether you'll qualify for merit scholarship based on GPA. Honestly GPA won't make a huge difference once your in that range. LSAT is what will make the difference.

Return to “What are my chances?”