ED Applicant for Ohio State

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jacob_c84

ED Applicant for Ohio State

Postby jacob_c84 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:48 am

Anyone else out there stuck in anxiety mode hoping for an early xmas present?

Underground404

Re: ED Applicant for Ohio State

Postby Underground404 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Good luck! I'm an undergrad (senior) at Ohio State, let me know if you need or want additional information about the university, overall atmosphere, and/or location...I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:09 pm

jacob_c84 wrote:Anyone else out there stuck in anxiety mode hoping for an early xmas present?

159, 3.6
your in i wouldnt worry, though i would worry about going to that school specifically

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:36 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
jacob_c84 wrote:Anyone else out there stuck in anxiety mode hoping for an early xmas present?

159, 3.6
your in i wouldnt worry, though i would worry about going to that school specifically

If you want to work in Ohio, Ohio State is fine as long as you aren't biglaw or bust. But, i'm not so sure with those numbers you are in, you are below both medians. Good luck.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

159, 3.6

If you want to work in Ohio, Ohio State is fine as long as you aren't biglaw or bust. But, i'm not so sure with those numbers you are in, you are below both medians. Good luck.

This is true (numbers wise) i didnt look. I just thought "ohio state, that sounds good enough for there" sorry.

Good luck OP

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Being from Columbus, growing up here, and as a student at Ohio State, I can assure that OSU's law school has a solid reputation in the area. The only other law school in Columbus is Capital (Tier 3 or 4). In the state of Ohio you have Case Western, UC, Cleveland-Marshall, Akron, Toledo, and Ohio Northern...but all are ranked lower than OSU. If you're looking to stay and practice in Ohio, then OSU is without a doubt one of your best bets.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Underground404 wrote:Being from Columbus, growing up here, and as a student at Ohio State, I can assure that OSU's law school has a solid reputation in the area. The only other law school in Columbus is Capital (Tier 3 or 4). In the state of Ohio you have Case Western, UC, Cleveland-Marshall, Akron, Toledo, and Ohio Northern...but all are ranked lower than OSU. If you're looking to stay and practice in Ohio, then OSU is without a doubt one of your best bets.

Unless of course you are willing to leave the state and go to a school outside of it that places much better nationally. Like university of Michigan places much better in Ohio then even ohio state.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:36 pm

Underground404 wrote:Being from Columbus, growing up here, and as a student at Ohio State, I can assure that OSU's law school has a solid reputation in the area. The only other law school in Columbus is Capital (Tier 3 or 4). In the state of Ohio you have Case Western, UC, Cleveland-Marshall, Akron, Toledo, and Ohio Northern...but all are ranked lower than OSU. If you're looking to stay and practice in Ohio, then OSU is without a doubt one of your best bets.

Unless of course you are willing to leave the state and go to a school outside of it that places much better nationally. Like university of Michigan places much better in Ohio then even ohio state.

What are you basing that on?
Michigan grads have more options in general, but in the state of Ohio, I really get the impression that OSU dominates, followed by Case and UC. That's not to say Michigan grads can't get jobs there, but I'm not sure they have the same advantage in Columbus/Cleveland/Cincinnati that they experience in major legal markets.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Lwoods wrote:

Michigan grads have more options in general, but in the state of Ohio, I really get the impression that OSU dominates, followed by Case and UC. That's not to say Michigan grads can't get jobs there, but I'm not sure they have the same advantage in Columbus/Cleveland/Cincinnati that they experience in major legal markets.

I'd imagine a Michigan grad has a better chance at Jones Day Columbus than an Ohio State grad. But for the majority of the jobs in the state i'd bet they are equal. Granted this is coming from someone who has grown up in that area, may want to go back, and has thought about going to mich.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I'd imagine a Michigan grad has a better chance at Jones Day Columbus than an Ohio State grad. But for the majority of the jobs in the state i'd bet they are equal. Granted this is coming from someone who has grown up in that area, may want to go back, and has thought about going to mich.

There is almost no way this is the case, i mean if ANY firm has two applicants one from OSU and one from Michigan with equal grades and no connections they take the Mich grad. Assuming hes not socially retarded

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

That's fair. There are over 5x as many OSU alumni at Jones Day Columbus & Cleveland than Michigan alumni (55 vs. 10), but what proportion of OSU students are going for OH BigLaw vs Michigan students?

I should also note that most Michigan alumni at Jones Day in Ohio went to undergrad in Ohio. They appear to like ties to the state (and/or the only people looking to work in Ohio have ties to the state).

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:32 pm

I should also note that most Michigan alumni at Jones Day in Ohio went to undergrad in Ohio. They appear to like ties to the state (and/or the only people looking to work in Ohio have ties to the state).

I would imagine this

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Unless of course you are willing to leave the state and go to a school outside of it that places much better nationally. Like university of Michigan places much better in Ohio then even ohio state.

There is almost no way this is the case, i mean if ANY firm has two applicants one from OSU and one from Michigan with equal grades and no connections they take the Mich grad. Assuming hes not socially retarded

Not necessarily, small and midlaw firms seem to practice more loyalty to local schools. I'd imagine that from Mich i'd have a hard time getting an interview in my hometown as the biggest firm there is around 30 lawyers and they all went to 1 of 2 schools.

jacob_c84

Postby jacob_c84 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes at 159 and 3.6 OSU is a reach for me, which is why I decided to submit an ED application and (like everyone else who reaches) I hope that my W/E and PS make up some slack. As far as the Michigan issue goes: Obviously I would much rather go to Michigan, but I don't have a chance in hell.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:35 am

Good luck! Ohio State is my first choice as well :) I submitted RD though. Hopefully we'll all hear soon!!

jacob_c84

Postby jacob_c84 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 am

Other schools I've applied to
Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Georgia (big reach but they gave me a waiver), Seton Hall, Miami (accepted), Arizona State (EA), Penn St.

Opinions if I don't get into OSU?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:10 pm

jacob_c84 wrote:Other schools I've applied to
Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Georgia (big reach but they gave me a waiver), Seton Hall, Miami (accepted), Arizona State (EA), Penn St.

If you want to practice in Ohio, definitely throw Case in there. It has a respectable reputation in the region, and you're above both medians (158/3.46).

Good luck! :)

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Lwoods wrote:

If you want to practice in Ohio, definitely throw Case in there. It has a respectable reputation in the region, and you're above both medians (158/3.46).

TBF, i've heard that case isn't really offering better job opportunities than cleveland state and cleveland state is far cheaper.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

TBF, i've heard that case isn't really offering better job opportunities than cleveland state and cleveland state is far cheaper.

Good to know. CSU has great marketing materials... I felt bad throwing the lovely mailing away because it was so well done. Add Cleveland State to your back-up list as well, OP.

jacob_c84

Postby jacob_c84 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Yeah CSU does have an awesome viewbook lol. I would rather attend Miami (already accepted) though. I considered case western, but I felt like Cincinnati was a little bit stronger of a school. I'm not dead-set on practicing in Ohio.

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Going back to the issues discussed above, you should never forget about the size of Ohio State and the alumni pull you're going to have. I think that there roughly 400,000 living OSU alums (majority from undergrad studies obviously) out there right now, many of them concentrated in the Central Ohio area, but also scattered across the state.

Don't forget that you'll find Buckeyes pretty much anywhere. I know I sound like a spokesperson for the university, but in this economy, connections are a nice thing to have...and Ohio State has that.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Underground404 wrote:Going back to the issues discussed above, you should never forget about the size of Ohio State and the alumni pull you're going to have. I think that there roughly 400,000 living OSU alums (majority from undergrad studies obviously) out there right now, many of them concentrated in the Central Ohio area, but also scattered across the state.

Don't forget that you'll find Buckeyes pretty much anywhere. I know I sound like a spokesperson for the university, but in this economy, connections are a nice thing to have...and Ohio State has that.

TBF, I wouldn't be shocked if there were some small firms that wouldn't interview a mich grad....

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Underground404 wrote:Going back to the issues discussed above, you should never forget about the size of Ohio State and the alumni pull you're going to have. I think that there roughly 400,000 living OSU alums (majority from undergrad studies obviously) out there right now, many of them concentrated in the Central Ohio area, but also scattered across the state.

TBF, I wouldn't be shocked if there were some small firms that wouldn't interview a mich grad....

I wouldn't blame them for not interviewing a scUM grad. ;)

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Underground404 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

I wouldn't blame them for not interviewing a scUM grad. ;)

I was at the game last saturday talikng beforehand to my dad about how I may go to there and I was getting shit from my dad and all the other season ticket holders around him who know him lol

Dex

Postby Dex » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

You might have been half-joking, but there's actually a lot of truth to that.

Return to “What are my chances?”