3.57 LSDAS GPA, 165 LSAT chances at USC?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vtremonti

3.57 LSDAS GPA, 165 LSAT chances at USC?

Postby vtremonti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm curious what you guys think my chances are for admission to USC..

My final GPA is 3.57, but I have a strong upward trend. I had a 2.29 my first year in community college as I was dealing with a serious family matter. I transferred to UCLA and finished there with a 3.95 GPA. My GPA over my last four years (not including my first year) is well over 3.8.

As far as LSAT, I scored a 165 after PT'ing around 167 each time. I'd prefer not to retake as I'm already taking a year off.

My softs are just average. Non-URM. I worked and volunteered during undergrad, I'm working at a law firm right now during my year off. I was a Pre-Law Society Member and other Honor Society's, etc. My personal statement is strong though and details the serious familial adversity I dealt with throughout college. It also explains the reasons for my poor GPA my first year in school.

LSP puts me as "consider" at USC, but do you think my strong upward trend and PS can be enough to get me over the top? Thanks in advance!

Curry

Re: 3.57 LSDAS GPA, 165 LSAT chances at USC?

Postby Curry » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Honestly, I think you are out. http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/ Nobody with your stats got in last year. Nobody even around your stats got in.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm

With that low GPA, you're going to need a 167-169 for any shot at USC.

vtremonti

Postby vtremonti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:15 pm

I hope you guys are wrong but I'm pretty sure you're right on. So it's likely that even with the drastic difference in grades they will still use my LSDAS GPA as a better indicator? Or does it have more to do with the fact that with an LSAT score two points below the median they can't afford to look past the fact that my GPA is also (slightly) below the median?

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Both. You are below both medians.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:28 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:Honestly, I think you are out. http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/ Nobody with your stats got in last year. Nobody even around your stats got in.

not true. i applied at the end of january/early feb (can't remember) last year with my old 164 and 3.62 and got in off the waitlist. i would definitely not count it out. gluck, OP!

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Are you URM? The only LSN account with those numbers was a URM

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:31 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:Are you URM? The only LSN account with those numbers was a URM

nope. M, but not URM (asian). yeah, i'd be careful with LSN because that obviously doesn't give a complete picture.

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm

True. To be fair, my "nobody even around your stats got in" implied nobody from LSN got in. I don't know about the whole world.

I'm just trying to make sure OP doesn't get his/her hopes up.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm curious how you were able to transfer to UCLA with such a low GPA. I thought they usually accept 3.6-3.7 GPAs.

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:34 pm

im_blue wrote:I'm curious how you were able to transfer to UCLA with such a low GPA. I thought they usually accept 3.6-3.7 GPAs.

Its higher than that now actually

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:34 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:True. To be fair, my "nobody even around your stats got in" implied nobody from LSN got in. I don't know about the whole world.

I'm just trying to make sure OP doesn't get his/her hopes up.

haha, yeah definitely. i agree w.you on that for sure, but i just wanted to make sure that OP doesn't get discouraged into thinking there is no shot and then end up not applying. apply away! it's worth the app fee.

vtremonti

Postby vtremonti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:36 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:Both. You are below both medians.
MissLucky wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote:Honestly, I think you are out. http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/ Nobody with your stats got in last year. Nobody even around your stats got in.

not true. i applied at the end of january/early feb (can't remember) last year with my old 164 and 3.62 and got in off the waitlist. i would definitely not count it out. gluck, OP!

Thank you both for responding. I'm hoping they take a chance on me based on all those "soft factors" they allegedly care so much about although it seems to be a world of cold-hard numbers.. which if I was sitting with a 3.9/175 or something I might be more happy about it.

Miss Lucky..

Did you decide to attend USC or are you applying again this cycle?

vtremonti

Postby vtremonti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 pm

im_blue wrote:I'm curious how you were able to transfer to UCLA with such a low GPA. I thought they usually accept 3.6-3.7 GPAs.

I retook the two classes that were mostly responsible for it. I failed a class and got a D in another. I retook both with B's to replace the grades. I transferred with close to a 3.6. You can imagine my dismay when I saw my LSDAS GPA counted my two non-passing courses from over five years ago. I was counting on my GPA being around 3.8 and instead it's more than .2 lower.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:41 pm

vtremonti wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

Thank you both for responding. I'm hoping they take a chance on me based on all those "soft factors" they allegedly care so much about although it seems to be a world of cold-hard numbers.. which if I was sitting with a 3.9/175 or something I might be more happy about it.

Miss Lucky..

no I actually decided to retake the LSAT (i took it in oct.) and am applying again this cycle (but not to USC. haha)

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:49 pm

You have a 5-10% chance. I see one person with a 166, 3.57 got off the WL (very late).

vtremonti

Postby vtremonti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:55 pm

MissLucky wrote:
vtremonti wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

Miss Lucky..

no I actually decided to retake the LSAT (i took it in oct.) and am applying again this cycle (but not to USC. haha)

Good for you. I'm assuming you improved.

My case is interesting though (or maybe not) because last year I applied after a sub-par LSAT performance (158, don't ask, I should've canceled my score but like an idiot I was curious so I didn't) to Loyola and Pepperdine and despite GPA and LSAT scores below the median I was WL'd at both schools before withdrawing and deciding to retake and reapply. So I'm wondering if that might happen again. I guess my best case might be getting WL'd and getting in off the waitlist.

Return to “What are my chances?”