Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby masterthearts » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:44 pm

correction, post deleted
Last edited by masterthearts on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oscodasa
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby oscodasa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Are you in state or out? ED or RD?

Splitters are hard to predict and your LSAT isn't going to do you many favors, despite your beautiful gpa.
Last edited by oscodasa on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Waitlisted at UVA? Then no real shot at any remaining t14. With that LSAT only T14 you might have catched was UVA ED. Now that's a waitlist you should be aiming for schools below t20.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby CG614 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:54 pm

masterthearts wrote:3.8 gpa and 163 lsat
Bilingual spanish/english and this shows in my resume. Used my bilingual skills for community service projects in the local community.
Hispanic/white (not URM)
I attend an Ivy that also has a T-14 law school (for privacy reasons, will not share the name.
PS focuses on adversity in light of a chronic illness I have, but has a "happy ending"
Anyone want to guess on my chances at a T14 based on my stats and a waitlist at UVA. (i expected rejection but was pleasantly surprised with the WL)


Which Ivy has a non T-14 law school?

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby masterthearts » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:55 pm

oscodasa wrote:Are you in state or out? ED or RD?

Splitters are hard to predict and your LSAT isn't going to do you many favors, despite your beautiful gpa.


Applied ED to UVA and I am not from VA.
I am retaking lsat in Dec and IF I do better, I will submit scores to any schools where I am waitlisted, or re-apply next year if I can't get into a decent school this year.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby masterthearts » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:58 pm

oscodasa wrote:Are you in state or out? ED or RD?

Splitters are hard to predict and your LSAT isn't going to do you many favors, despite your beautiful gpa.


Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school.
If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167. Who are these people that get in under the 25th percentile?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:59 pm

masterthearts wrote:
oscodasa wrote:Are you in state or out? ED or RD?

Splitters are hard to predict and your LSAT isn't going to do you many favors, despite your beautiful gpa.


Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school.
If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167. Who are these people that get in under the 25th percentile?


URM or people with GPA above 75th. Either case not you.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby CG614 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:00 am

masterthearts wrote:
oscodasa wrote:Are you in state or out? ED or RD?

Splitters are hard to predict and your LSAT isn't going to do you many favors, despite your beautiful gpa.


Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school.
If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167. Who are these people that get in under the 25th percentile?

Not factual. It means that the person at the 25th mark had a 167, every single person under it could have also had a 167.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby MrKappus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:00 am

Haha nevermind. I didn't read Burr'nd's posts correctly.
Last edited by MrKappus on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby masterthearts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:02 am

CG614 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
oscodasa wrote:Are you in state or out? ED or RD?

Splitters are hard to predict and your LSAT isn't going to do you many favors, despite your beautiful gpa.


Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school.
If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167. Who are these people that get in under the 25th percentile?

Not factual. It means that the person at the 25th mark had a 167, every single person under it could have also had a 167.


You are incorrect. If the 25th percentile is 167, it means 25% got in with UNDER 167, although I guess those people could have all had 166.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:02 am

masterthearts wrote:
CG614 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
oscodasa wrote:Are you in state or out? ED or RD?

Splitters are hard to predict and your LSAT isn't going to do you many favors, despite your beautiful gpa.


Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school.
If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167. Who are these people that get in under the 25th percentile?

Not factual. It means that the person at the 25th mark had a 167, every single person under it could have also had a 167.


You are incorrect. If the 25th percentile is 167, it means 25% got in with UNDER 167, although I guess those people could have all had 166.


No - please go take a basic stats class. Are you sure you went to an ivy? Were you a modern dance major there by any chance? Maybe basket weaving?

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby CG614 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:04 am

masterthearts wrote:
CG614 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
oscodasa wrote:Are you in state or out? ED or RD?

Splitters are hard to predict and your LSAT isn't going to do you many favors, despite your beautiful gpa.


Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school.
If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167. Who are these people that get in under the 25th percentile?

Not factual. It means that the person at the 25th mark had a 167, every single person under it could have also had a 167.


You are incorrect. If the 25th percentile is 167, it means 25% got in with UNDER 167, although I guess those people could have all had 166.

You could not be more wrong.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby MrKappus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:07 am

masterthearts wrote:
CG614 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
oscodasa wrote:Are you in state or out? ED or RD?

Splitters are hard to predict and your LSAT isn't going to do you many favors, despite your beautiful gpa.


Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school.
If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167. Who are these people that get in under the 25th percentile?

Not factual. It means that the person at the 25th mark had a 167, every single person under it could have also had a 167.


You are incorrect. If the 25th percentile is 167, it means 25% got in with UNDER 167, although I guess those people could have all had 166.


(1) This is not correct. Percentiles around found by arranging the data sequentially and picking the number at 25%, 50%, and 75%. The dataset could look like:

167 167 167 167 167 167....[you get the idea] 167 [25th %ile] . . . [50th %ile] . . . [75%ile] . . .[last entry in dataset].

(2) A 25th percentile does not mean that 25% of APPLICANTS at a school are accepted with a 25th percentile LSAT. It means that the 25th percentile of those who attended is 167 (or whatever). Maybe UVA admitted 50 kids w/ 167's or below and all 50 matriculated. 50 divided by [UVA applicants in a cycle] does NOT equal 0.25.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby CG614 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:11 am

MrKappus wrote:


(1) This is not correct. Percentiles around found by arranging the data sequentially and picking the number at 25%, 50%, and 75%. The dataset could look like:

167 167 167 167 167 167....[you get the idea] 167 [25th %ile] . . . [50th %ile] . . . [75%ile] . . .[last entry in dataset].

(2) A 25th percentile does not mean that 25% of APPLICANTS at a school are accepted with a 25th percentile LSAT. It means that the 25th percentile of those who attended is 167 (or whatever). Maybe UVA admitted 50 kids w/ 167's or below and all 50 matriculated. 50 divided by [UVA applicants in a cycle] does NOT equal 0.25.

(1) Exactly
(2) Not quite sure what you are getting at there.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby MrKappus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:13 am

CG614 wrote:(2) Not quite sure what you are getting at there.


Sorry, I wasn't 100% clear, but the stats-challenged poster seemed to be implying that 25% of UVA acceptees have LSAT's at or below UVA's 25th percentile, which is of course not right. 25% of UVA matriculants, not acceptees, have LSATs at or below the 25th percentile.

masterthearts wrote:Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school. If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby masterthearts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:14 am

CG614 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:


(1) This is not correct. Percentiles around found by arranging the data sequentially and picking the number at 25%, 50%, and 75%. The dataset could look like:

167 167 167 167 167 167....[you get the idea] 167 [25th %ile] . . . [50th %ile] . . . [75%ile] . . .[last entry in dataset].

(2) A 25th percentile does not mean that 25% of APPLICANTS at a school are accepted with a 25th percentile LSAT. It means that the 25th percentile of those who attended is 167 (or whatever). Maybe UVA admitted 50 kids w/ 167's or below and all 50 matriculated. 50 divided by [UVA applicants in a cycle] does NOT equal 0.25.

(1) Exactly
(2) Not quite sure what you are getting at there.


I know for a fact that the law school belonging to my alma mater accepted students last year with lsat as low as 160 last cycle.
Last edited by masterthearts on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:14 am

I bet you OP won't respond.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby masterthearts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:16 am

MrKappus wrote:
CG614 wrote:(2) Not quite sure what you are getting at there.


Sorry, I wasn't 100% clear, but the stats-challenged poster seemed to be implying that 25% of UVA acceptees have LSAT's at or below UVA's 25th percentile, which is of course not right. 25% of UVA matriculants, not acceptees, have LSATs at or below the 25th percentile.

masterthearts wrote:Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school. If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167.


Well you are correct, I implied that 25% of UVA matriculants had lsats below the 25th percentile for UVA (not the 25th percentile of lsat test takers),.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Please don't bash me since I actually didn't take stats. But, I know I am correct.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:17 am

masterthearts wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
CG614 wrote:(2) Not quite sure what you are getting at there.


Sorry, I wasn't 100% clear, but the stats-challenged poster seemed to be implying that 25% of UVA acceptees have LSAT's at or below UVA's 25th percentile, which is of course not right. 25% of UVA matriculants, not acceptees, have LSATs at or below the 25th percentile.

masterthearts wrote:Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school. If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167.


Well you are correct, I implied that 25% of UVA matriculants had lsats below the 25th percentile for UVA (not the 25th percentile of lsat test takers),.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Please don't bash me since I actually didn't take stats. But, I know I am correct.


Wow so much failure. You are wrong. Just admit it.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby CG614 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:18 am

MrKappus wrote:
CG614 wrote:(2) Not quite sure what you are getting at there.


Sorry, I wasn't 100% clear, but the stats-challenged poster seemed to be implying that 25% of UVA acceptees have LSAT's at or below UVA's 25th percentile, which is of course not right. 25% of UVA matriculants, not acceptees, have LSATs at or below the 25th percentile.

masterthearts wrote:Let's not forget that 25% of the applicants at any given school get accepted with lsat score UNDER the 25th percentile for that school. If a schools 25th percentile lsat score is 167, that mean 25% will be accepted with under a 167.



Ahh, yes. It is hard for me to keep track of all the errors the OP has littered throughout this thread. I would add one small caveat, just to be an ass, but it is at least 25% of the matriculants have LSATs at or below the 25th. Hypothetically, assuming the median is different, all the matriculants up to the median point could have the 25% LSAT. Sorry, I will not be a dick anymore, as I agree with you.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:18 am

CG614 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:3.8 gpa and 163 lsat
Bilingual spanish/english and this shows in my resume. Used my bilingual skills for community service projects in the local community.
Hispanic/white (not URM)
I attend an Ivy that also has a T-14 law school (for privacy reasons, will not share the name.
PS focuses on adversity in light of a chronic illness I have, but has a "happy ending"
Anyone want to guess on my chances at a T14 based on my stats and a waitlist at UVA. (i expected rejection but was pleasantly surprised with the WL)


Which Ivy has a non T-14 law school?


Princeton?

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 am

CG614 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:3.8 gpa and 163 lsat
Bilingual spanish/english and this shows in my resume. Used my bilingual skills for community service projects in the local community.
Hispanic/white (not URM)
I attend an Ivy that also has a T-14 law school (for privacy reasons, will not share the name.
PS focuses on adversity in light of a chronic illness I have, but has a "happy ending"
Anyone want to guess on my chances at a T14 based on my stats and a waitlist at UVA. (i expected rejection but was pleasantly surprised with the WL)


Which Ivy has a non T-14 law school?


Princeton, Dartmouth, and Brown....

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby masterthearts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 am

whymeohgodno wrote:I bet you OP won't respond.


We are getting a bit off topic here. All I did was ask about "my chances."
But, I will let you all know the outcome of my application.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby CG614 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:22 am

masterthearts wrote:
CG614 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:


(1) This is not correct. Percentiles around found by arranging the data sequentially and picking the number at 25%, 50%, and 75%. The dataset could look like:

167 167 167 167 167 167....[you get the idea] 167 [25th %ile] . . . [50th %ile] . . . [75%ile] . . .[last entry in dataset].

(2) A 25th percentile does not mean that 25% of APPLICANTS at a school are accepted with a 25th percentile LSAT. It means that the 25th percentile of those who attended is 167 (or whatever). Maybe UVA admitted 50 kids w/ 167's or below and all 50 matriculated. 50 divided by [UVA applicants in a cycle] does NOT equal 0.25.

(1) Exactly
(2) Not quite sure what you are getting at there.


I know for a fact that the law school belonging to my alma mater accepted students last year with lsat as low as 160 last cycle. I know because I emailed and asked for the RANGE of scores of admitted students. The dean of admissions emailed me back and I am assuming is a reliable source!


Cornell. You outed yourself. Regardless, you are correct in stating that there are people admitted below the 25%, my issue was your assertion that 25% of the people are below. This is incorrect, it could be that only 5% are below and the other 20% are at the 25th percentile. See if you can take a stats class next semester at Cornell.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Waitlisted at UVA with 3.8 gpa and

Postby Ragged » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:22 am

OP, If you are not URM you are out of T-14 unless you retake for a 168+ atleast. Others have already explained to you your misinterpretation of what percentiles mean, but you don't seem to want to understnad.

Also, the 160 acceptee was a URM. Are you a URM? If no, then your evidence is irrelavent.
Last edited by Ragged on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest