Tough Admissions Cycle So Far - Thoughts Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Tough Admissions Cycle So Far - Thoughts

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:17 pm

I have a 174 LSAT (on a retake unfortunately... sick the day of the test) and a 3.65 LSDAS GPA (my schools didn't offer A+, etc.). One complicating factor is that my GPA comes from a state college (3.83) and a community college (3.5). While I was in community college I worked two or three jobs which significantly impacted my studies (I was also homeless for two stints). As an applicant, I have tremendous soft factors including group leadership, volunteer work, and professional success in the political arena as a Senior Associate with a political consulting firm. That said, my cycle is as such so far:

Virginia: denied outright
Cornell: Early Action applicant moved to the regular decision pool (I applied to Cornell last cycle and waited until September before they finally responded to me) - In light of my previous experience in Cornell's regular decision pool I decided to withdraw my application.

Other applications outstanding
Harvard - Maybe they'll make a mistake
Columbia - Early Decision Binding
NYU -regular
Chicago - regular
UPenn - Regular
Duke - Regular
Georgetown - Regular
Texas - Regular

What do you all predict will happen? Feeling sort of defeated at this point.

djjf39

Bronze

Re: Tough Admissions Cycle So Far - Thoughts

Post by djjf39 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Was UVa ED?

I would think you will get at least one or two hits from your list. Do you have any safeties?

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:21 pm

Vandy... meant to put that... I know they don't normally sound like a safety, but I was accepted last cycle and interviewed with them for good measure.

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 pm

and UVA was regular

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Texas-in/WL for YP
Gtown - in
Duke - in,
Penn - WL, they YP like nuts
Chicago - in
NYU - in
H - out
CLS - hard to say, ED gives some boost, if you went complete/ under review mid Oct. and earlier, I say in the bag. Later, still good shot.

Look OP, UVA is a pain to crack. 40% of class for in-state residents, so being out-of state is more like gunning for HYS than other schools, unless you ED, and even then.

Your cycle should go pretty well. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:25 pm

I would be very surprised if you didn't get into at least one or two of those schools you mentioned above. If you're feeling super panicky, toss an application at UCLA? I wouldn't recommend going outside the T17 ITE, but that's just me, and it depends on your personal situation and preferences. That said, I really don't think you need to worry about getting into at least one or two of the T17 (I'd even say T14). Don't get demoralized! You've only been denied at one place so far (and from what I understand, UVA is pretty stingy with acceptances to those who don't apply ED and/or don't live in VA).

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Yes, I actually went complete at Columbia in late September!! =D I hope. I would absolutely love to go to Columbia. Thanks for the input on who YPs. Do you think that is what the Cornell situation was about or should I read into that more? Thoughts? Thanks to all. =D

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Career goals ? Preferred location to live & work ?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Wow with your numbers and the UVA reject I'm inclined to think something could be wrong with your application.. (No offense).. Unless UVA is one of the few schools that still averages LSATs.. (but I don't think they are).. Anyway, congrats on your score- very strong LSAT, and not a bad GPA by any means either. Sorry for the tough luck so far.. I would double check the apps and see if maybe there is some glaring mistake. Or maybe you brought up a potentially offensive topic on your PS? I doubt that your experience is really that uncommon though (i.e. getting some hard to figure out rejections), even with solid applications. Maybe UVA set an arbitrary 3.7 minimum for this cycle with only exceptions being 178 and up or something like that... Schools do seem to have certain arbitrary cut-offs that change year to year from what I've observed. But with your numbers, I think you'll get quite a few T10 acceptances before it's over.. Good luck!

**oh, just noticed the comment re: UVA having 40% in-state as explanation.. so that could explain UVA.. but I don't know about Cornell.. unless maybe it is yield protect..
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:34 pm

East Coast preferably. Seriously considering politics somewhere in the pipeline just because of the contacts that I have made and a few novel tricks that I have come up with on utilizing the social media for mass contact. That said, I am pretty open. Nothing bizarre (space law... lmfao) or boring (tax law =S). Worst case scenario would be elections law for which I have a number of contacts, but that is in the boring/not engaging category (IMO).

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Harvard - out
Columbia ED - 50%
NYU - in
Chicago - 50%
UPenn - 50%
Duke - in
Georgetown - in
Texas - in

Don't worry too much about UVA RD - they accepted 4 3.6x/173+ and rejected 25 on LSN last cycle, though I'm surprised you didn't get a WL.

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm

That was my feeling with the UVA rejection. I have looked over my application and there are certainly no glaring mistakes. I do hate to talk about myself, but I delved into areas of interest so as to avoid the awkwardness of talking about myself. I have a bias in hiring of people who talk well about themselves as sincere and underqualified. Although I certainly did not add that in anywhere on my statement... hahaha. That would have been awesome though.

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:38 pm

correction: insincere

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:46 pm

UVA is freaking weird. Seriously, I want to know what their adcomms are thinking when they admit/reject people.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:48 pm

I might send in a few more apps to be safe (someone suggested UCLA which sounds like a good suggestion to me) but I think you are going to get some favorable results soon. The decisions so far very well could be the result of YPing. If you dont see any glaring weaknesses in your application then be confident because your #s and your softs are solid.

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks! =D

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Thanks! =D
Just relax, my brother. I am confident that you can pull a school higher up than UVA if you havent killed anybody or have an abysmal application package. You're going to be alright.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:UVA is freaking weird. Seriously, I want to know what their adcomms are thinking when they admit/reject people.
UVA OOS RD is an elaborate flame.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:01 pm

rad law wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:UVA is freaking weird. Seriously, I want to know what their adcomms are thinking when they admit/reject people.
I think cracking UVA OOS RD is harder than CCN.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:13 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
rad law wrote:
I think cracking UVA OOS RD is harder than CCN.
Wouldn't doubt it. They can fill their whole damn class pretty much with ED.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Volunteer work and group leadership?! That truly is tremendous... I would think at least one of HYS would snag you up with a 174 and such tremendous soft factors.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:26 pm

Deuce wrote:Volunteer work and group leadership?! That truly is tremendous... I would think at least one of HYS would snag you up with a 174 and such tremendous soft factors.
So harsh.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:28 pm

arism87 wrote:
Deuce wrote:Volunteer work and group leadership?! That truly is tremendous... I would think at least one of HYS would snag you up with a 174 and such tremendous soft factors.
So harsh.

A/S/L?

Chants

Bronze

Post by Chants » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:31 pm

woah woah woah..uncalled for! This kid led the shit out of that group! Some of those he led would go as far as to say he did a TREMENDOUS job. So back it off my friend..

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 pm

arism87 wrote:
So harsh.
Deuce has a point though - those softs aren't "tremendous" by law school app standards, they're really rather ordinary.

But I agree w/ everyone else in that OP shouldn't pay too much attention to the UVA ding, they're infamous for YP (but do look over your app and see if there are any glaring mistakes.) Although delving into "areas of interest" in your personal statement, instead of yourself, rang a tiny warning bell in my head... but OP has a decent shot at Columbia ED. NYU RD etc. IMO.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”