Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby gobuffs10 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:43 am

Hello. It's my first post so I'll provide as much info as possible.

I took the October LSAT, got a 156, which I was very disappointed with (it was my own fault for not being prepared). I have a 3.3 with 18 credit hours of A and B to go onto my GPA at the end of this semester, so hopefully it will bump up a little.

Honestly I've never worked as hard as I should have in school; my grades have always been fine, nothing better than that. Like many people I'm kicking myself now for not trying harder, but I can't change what's done. I have transcripts from 2 schools; the first set are unbelievably bad. I took a year off, went back and got nearly all As and Bs and am about to graduate. How badly is the first set going to hurt (we're talking very poor grades here)? Will the fact that I went back and did markedly better mean much?

I am retaking the LSAT in December but I feel crunched for time to prepare. I hope to score substantially better, but obviously nothing is certain. I do have 2 solid LORs, experience as a research assistant, an internship at a firm, work experience, and ~150 hours of community service (most of which, unfortunately, was from 3-4 years back, so I worry it's irrelevant).

Every standardized test I have ever taken I've scored 97-99 percentile; I say this not to boast, but to express my frustration with the LSAT. I wish every day I had worked harder in school, but it's too late now. That said, I'm not a stupid kid, and while I by no means deserve to go to a good school, I want to get my chance to work to my potential, basically.

I want to go to a top 50 for myself; I know it's not the greatest accomplishment but it will mean something to me. Basically, I'm wondering how much my softs help with a mediocre GPA and what is, for now, a mediocre LSAT? Most schools I want to apply to are anywhere from 30-50; my #1 is Wisconsin. I meet their 25% LSAT but I'm applying late. Does anyone have any advice for me? Do I just need to be more realistic and accept that I'm not going to get in to a top 50? I worry I'm going to be wasting a lot of money in application fees.

tl;dr. Need some guidance.

gerbal
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 12:42 am

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby gerbal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:51 am

I don't know how others view the LSAT, but if you've scored in the 97-99 percentile in other standardized tests, I believe you can score in the 97-99 percentile on the LSAT as well. It seems like you don't feel really prepared yet though. Is taking a year off and applying next year an option?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:53 am

gerbal wrote:I don't know how others view the LSAT, but if you've scored in the 97-99 percentile in other standardized tests, I believe you can score in the 97-99 percentile on the LSAT as well.

Nope, HYP are filled with 99th percentile SAT scorers, but their median LSAT score is 165-166 (93-94th percentile). The LSAT taker pool is skewed toward the higher performing students.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby gobuffs10 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:58 am

gerbal wrote:I don't know how others view the LSAT, but if you've scored in the 97-99 percentile in other standardized tests, I believe you can score in the 97-99 percentile on the LSAT as well. It seems like you don't feel really prepared yet though. Is taking a year off and applying next year an option?


I believe it is an option, yes; I'm just unsure of what to do with myself for another year. I can figure something out probably.

I don't know if I can do 97-99, but I know I can do a lot better than 67. Unfortunately I didn't take this test as seriously as I should have, only studying for ~10 hours by myself with 2 practice tests. I should have cancelled my scores, but I honestly believed the test went better than it did.

I'm in a PowerScore class and am taking a test a day, but with 18 credits and finals coming up I feel like something has to give. My PS instructor assures me picking up 6 or 7 more right answers is no problem, but I worry that's his job to tell me that.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:00 am

im_blue wrote:
gerbal wrote:I don't know how others view the LSAT, but if you've scored in the 97-99 percentile in other standardized tests, I believe you can score in the 97-99 percentile on the LSAT as well.

Nope, HYP are filled with 99th percentile SAT scorers, but their median LSAT score is 165-166 (93-94th percentile). The LSAT taker pool is skewed toward the higher performing students.


LSAT is just harder to master than the SAT also imo. I never improved even after a month or two on my reading comp lololol.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby NZA » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:00 am

gobuffs10 wrote:Every standardized test I have ever taken I've scored 97-99 percentile; I say this not to boast, but to express my frustration with the LSAT. I wish every day I had worked harder in school, but it's too late now. That said, I'm not a stupid kid, and while I by no means deserve to go to a good school, I want to get my chance to work to my potential, basically.

I want to go to a top 50 for myself; I know it's not the greatest accomplishment but it will mean something to me. Basically, I'm wondering how much my softs help with a mediocre GPA and what is, for now, a mediocre LSAT? Most schools I want to apply to are anywhere from 30-50; my #1 is Wisconsin. I meet their 25% LSAT but I'm applying late. Does anyone have any advice for me? Do I just need to be more realistic and accept that I'm not going to get in to a top 50? I worry I'm going to be wasting a lot of money in application fees.

tl;dr. Need some guidance.


In order of importance:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. When you retake the LSAT, just do your best. :) That's all you really can do at this point. Your GPA is a matter of the past. What you need to do now is focus on what is ahead of you: the test. If I were you, I would definitely consider holding off on that test and taking a test next year. It's not the end of the world if you have to hold off for a year on law school so you can prepare and reach your peak LSAT testing ability.

2.1. Stop eating meat while you prepare for the LSAT. Drink lots of water, and be sure to stretch every morning. Also, and this is important!, bury a statue of St. Anthony in your backyard at midnight this coming Wednesday. Take a handful of soil and rub it all over your face for good luck. Post pictures here of you doing this.

3. If your grades show an upward trend, I'd definitely recommend writing an addendum explaining why did poorly in college at first, and how your more recent grades demonstrate your newfound commitment to academics.

4. Take a deep breath, again.

5. Ignore anyone here at TLS who tells you to give up and that you're a failure because they think they're smarter than you.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby Pleasye » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:11 am

NZA wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:Every standardized test I have ever taken I've scored 97-99 percentile; I say this not to boast, but to express my frustration with the LSAT. I wish every day I had worked harder in school, but it's too late now. That said, I'm not a stupid kid, and while I by no means deserve to go to a good school, I want to get my chance to work to my potential, basically.

I want to go to a top 50 for myself; I know it's not the greatest accomplishment but it will mean something to me. Basically, I'm wondering how much my softs help with a mediocre GPA and what is, for now, a mediocre LSAT? Most schools I want to apply to are anywhere from 30-50; my #1 is Wisconsin. I meet their 25% LSAT but I'm applying late. Does anyone have any advice for me? Do I just need to be more realistic and accept that I'm not going to get in to a top 50? I worry I'm going to be wasting a lot of money in application fees.

tl;dr. Need some guidance.


In order of importance:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. When you retake the LSAT, just do your best. :) That's all you really can do at this point. Your GPA is a matter of the past. What you need to do now is focus on what is ahead of you: the test. If I were you, I would definitely consider holding off on that test and taking a test next year. It's not the end of the world if you have to hold off for a year on law school so you can prepare and reach your peak LSAT testing ability.

2.1. Stop eating meat while you prepare for the LSAT. Drink lots of water, and be sure to stretch every morning. Also, and this is important!, bury a statue of St. Anthony in your backyard at midnight this coming Wednesday. Take a handful of soil and rub it all over your face for good luck. Post pictures here of you doing this.

3. If your grades show an upward trend, I'd definitely recommend writing an addendum explaining why did poorly in college at first, and how your more recent grades demonstrate your newfound commitment to academics.

4. Take a deep breath, again.

5. Ignore anyone here at TLS who tells you to give up and that you're a failure because they think they're smarter than you.

what the...

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby NayBoer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:26 am

gobuffs10 wrote:
gerbal wrote:I don't know how others view the LSAT, but if you've scored in the 97-99 percentile in other standardized tests, I believe you can score in the 97-99 percentile on the LSAT as well. It seems like you don't feel really prepared yet though. Is taking a year off and applying next year an option?


I believe it is an option, yes; I'm just unsure of what to do with myself for another year. I can figure something out probably.

I don't know if I can do 97-99, but I know I can do a lot better than 67. Unfortunately I didn't take this test as seriously as I should have, only studying for ~10 hours by myself with 2 practice tests. I should have cancelled my scores, but I honestly believed the test went better than it did.

I'm in a PowerScore class and am taking a test a day, but with 18 credits and finals coming up I feel like something has to give. My PS instructor assures me picking up 6 or 7 more right answers is no problem, but I worry that's his job to tell me that.
What's your PT average right now?

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby NZA » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:27 am

LSpleaseee wrote:what the...


If OP does that...10 point increase, guaranteed. I know a guy who did that, he's at Harvard now.

Obviously I'm kidding. Except for the water and stretching, that was for real.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby gobuffs10 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:32 am

Actually NZA I liked the advice. It was a needed laugh.

PTs right now are mid 150s but going up.

EDIT: as far as my PTs go, I should probably add that the taking one a day thing began about 4 days ago...it hasn't been mid-150 for a month or anything.

User avatar
well-hello-there
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby well-hello-there » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:30 am

NZA wrote:2.1. Stop eating meat while you prepare for the LSAT. Drink lots of water, and be sure to stretch every morning.


I wonder exactly how big of a factor diet and exercise can be in the weeks leading up to the test. I know that if I eat a giant stack of pancakes with a pint of syrup right before the test, I'll be in a diabetic coma before I get to the experimental section.
Could it be possible however that if you manage to somehow eat the perfect combination of foods during the weeks prior to the test that you would perform at your peak?

OP-You should skip the Dec. LSAT. Get on a serious study plan and retake it in June.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby NZA » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:43 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
NZA wrote:2.1. Stop eating meat while you prepare for the LSAT. Drink lots of water, and be sure to stretch every morning.


I wonder exactly how big of a factor diet and exercise can be in the weeks leading up to the test. I know that if I eat a giant stack of pancakes with a pint of syrup right before the test, I'll be in a diabetic coma before I get to the experimental section.
Could it be possible however that if you manage to somehow eat the perfect combination of foods during the weeks prior to the test that you would perform at your peak?

OP-You should skip the Dec. LSAT. Get on a serious study plan and retake it in June.


I had a diet plan through the nine weeks prior to the test, along with setting a regular sleep schedule. I woke up, did some stretching, maybe a run, took a shower, and drank some coffee and ate a slice of toast.

I found that if I woke up at least two hours before taking any practice test, I did a lot better than if I just rolled out of bed and went to the testing area. :P

I think it's a good idea, anyway.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby gambelda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:56 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
NZA wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:Every standardized test I have ever taken I've scored 97-99 percentile; I say this not to boast, but to express my frustration with the LSAT. I wish every day I had worked harder in school, but it's too late now. That said, I'm not a stupid kid, and while I by no means deserve to go to a good school, I want to get my chance to work to my potential, basically.

I want to go to a top 50 for myself; I know it's not the greatest accomplishment but it will mean something to me. Basically, I'm wondering how much my softs help with a mediocre GPA and what is, for now, a mediocre LSAT? Most schools I want to apply to are anywhere from 30-50; my #1 is Wisconsin. I meet their 25% LSAT but I'm applying late. Does anyone have any advice for me? Do I just need to be more realistic and accept that I'm not going to get in to a top 50? I worry I'm going to be wasting a lot of money in application fees.

tl;dr. Need some guidance.


In order of importance:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. When you retake the LSAT, just do your best. :) That's all you really can do at this point. Your GPA is a matter of the past. What you need to do now is focus on what is ahead of you: the test. If I were you, I would definitely consider holding off on that test and taking a test next year. It's not the end of the world if you have to hold off for a year on law school so you can prepare and reach your peak LSAT testing ability.

2.1. Stop eating meat while you prepare for the LSAT. Drink lots of water, and be sure to stretch every morning. Also, and this is important!, bury a statue of St. Anthony in your backyard at midnight this coming Wednesday. Take a handful of soil and rub it all over your face for good luck. Post pictures here of you doing this.

3. If your grades show an upward trend, I'd definitely recommend writing an addendum explaining why did poorly in college at first, and how your more recent grades demonstrate your newfound commitment to academics.

4. Take a deep breath, again.

5. Ignore anyone here at TLS who tells you to give up and that you're a failure because they think they're smarter than you.

what the...


Obvious Vegan Troller...

jacob_c84
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby jacob_c84 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Top 50 might be a stretch, but you never know. 60-80 range is very do-able and not a huge difference in job opportunites (just a thought)

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Think I'm overreaching...advice?

Postby gobuffs10 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm

jacob_c84 wrote:Top 50 might be a stretch, but you never know. 60-80 range is very do-able and not a huge difference in job opportunites (just a thought)


Ah, I see you missed my other thread (the one where I come off as an asshole). My LSAC GPA is actually a 2.59, so I'm sorta fucked. Should graduate with ~2.8, going to retake in June, and work a year, see what happens. Meh. Could be worse.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: malysh, trooper10538 and 3 guests