Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
courtneyisfetch

Postby courtneyisfetch » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:43 am

Last edited by courtneyisfetch on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Re: Take a chance on me...get it? =] 172/3.66 RD

Postby im_blue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:50 am

Columbia - 25%
NYU - 50%
Berkeley - 25%
Penn - 35%
UVA - WL
UMich - 50%
Cornell - in
Georgetown - in
Northwestern - out (no WE)
UCLA - in
USC - in

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:53 am

I think blue is being waaay too pessimistic. In at Penn an UVA assuming solid why Xs, 50/50 NYU

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:57 am

IAFG wrote:I think blue is being waaay too pessimistic. In at Penn an UVA assuming solid why Xs, 50/50 NYU

3.6x/172 is prime YP territory for MVP RD. UVA didn't take any LSN applicants in that range last year: http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =1&type=jd

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:00 am

im_blue wrote:
IAFG wrote:I think blue is being waaay too pessimistic. In at Penn an UVA assuming solid why Xs, 50/50 NYU

3.6x/172 is prime YP territory for MVP. UVA didn't take any LSN applicants in that range last year: http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =1&type=jd

UVA would have taken all of them if they were in-state or ED'd and none if they hadn't; P and M, unlike V, still actually have RD admissions

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:13 pm

IAFG wrote:
im_blue wrote:

3.6x/172 is prime YP territory for MVP. UVA didn't take any LSN applicants in that range last year: http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =1&type=jd

UVA would have taken all of them if they were in-state or ED'd and none if they hadn't; P and M, unlike V, still actually have RD admissions

I've heard only 20% or UVA applicants are enrolled through ED.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:33 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

20% ED plus 40% in-staters plus X% URMs. oh and the in-staters who stick around and the EDers are probably not above both medians so those RDers need strong numbers to "close the gap" between the splitters.

courtneyisfetch

Postby courtneyisfetch » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Last edited by courtneyisfetch on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:42 pm

courtneyisfetch wrote:ah so I take it UVA is out then? Thanks everyone for your input!

No UVA is definitely worth an app. If you ED there you are most likely in but at sticker.

Even with RD it's definitely worth an app although UVA seems much tougher on RD applicants compared to ED ones.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:59 pm

IAFG wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

20% ED plus 40% in-staters plus X% URMs. oh and the in-staters who stick around and the EDers are probably not above both medians so those RDers need strong numbers to "close the gap" between the splitters.

UVA Class of 2013 Profile wrote:29% identify themselves as minority students

a non-negligible number of those are going to be ORMs, and i am sure there's overlap with in-staters and EDers, but still, I'd guess they're filling 15% or less of their class from RD out-of-state non-URMs, and those are probably 170+/3.85+ for median maintenance.

try to get a fee waiver.
Last edited by IAFG on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:18 pm

IAFG wrote:a non-negligible number of those are going to be ORMs, and i am sure there's overlap with in-staters and EDers, but still, I'd guess they're filling 15% or less of their class from RD out-of-state non-URMs, and those are probably 170+/3.85+ for median maintenance.

try to get a fee waiver.

Sometimes we might make admissions people out to be too much like robots (or we assume there's too many people out there with perfect median maintenance numbers). I was accepted last year RD at UVA (wrote why UVA) with a 174 (multiple takes) and a 3.55. and offered 20k/yr. I was wl'd at Michigan (wrote why michigan). At Penn I was deferred, didn't write initial or follow up why penn, and then rejected.

MVP is just unpredictable. I think OP gets into at least one (prob Michigan), maybe two, little chance of all three though.

OP, why no Chicago? Chicago and NYU seem to be the top places where you would have a good chance. Columbia is probably out, but still worth the app.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
IAFG wrote:a non-negligible number of those are going to be ORMs, and i am sure there's overlap with in-staters and EDers, but still, I'd guess they're filling 15% or less of their class from RD out-of-state non-URMs, and those are probably 170+/3.85+ for median maintenance.

try to get a fee waiver.

Sometimes we might make admissions people out to be too much like robots (or we assume there's too many people out there with perfect median maintenance numbers). I was accepted last year RD at UVA (wrote why UVA) with a 174 (multiple takes) and a 3.55. and offered 20k/yr. I was wl'd at Michigan (wrote why michigan). At Penn I was deferred, didn't write initial or follow up why penn, and then rejected.

MVP is just unpredictable. I think OP gets into at least one (prob Michigan), maybe two, little chance of all three though.

OP, why no Chicago? Chicago and NYU seem to be the top places where you would have a good chance. Columbia is probably out, but still worth the app.

Were you in state for UVA? If so you aren't a great example.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:43 pm

IAFG wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

A lot of people have been applying ED lately, let's say 25% ED + 40% in-state + 15% URM = 70-75% of the class filled with mostly splitters and reverse splitters, leaving about 100 seats for the 7000 or so non-URM OOS RDs.

courtneyisfetch

Postby courtneyisfetch » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:47 pm

Last edited by courtneyisfetch on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:54 pm

courtneyisfetch wrote:@Richie Tenenbaum: Chicago's reputation deters me from applying...that and location-wise I'm not thrilled about studying in the Midwest. (I know I'm applying to Northwestern but that's really just to quiet my parents...)

Do you know if in-state helps at all at Berkeley?

NU has only 2% of its class straight out of UG, so I would apply to Chicago instead of NU.

In-state doesn't help for Berkeley.

courtneyisfetch

Postby courtneyisfetch » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:59 pm

im_blue wrote:
courtneyisfetch wrote:@Richie Tenenbaum: Chicago's reputation deters me from applying...that and location-wise I'm not thrilled about studying in the Midwest. (I know I'm applying to Northwestern but that's really just to quiet my parents...)

NU has only 2% of its class straight out of UG, so I would apply to Chicago instead of NU.

Do you know how significantly an interview with NU could impact my chances? Also...do people ever submit "Why NYU" or "Why CLS" essays?

UPennLaw

Postby UPennLaw » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 am

courtneyisfetch wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Do you know how significantly an interview with NU could impact my chances? Also...do people ever submit "Why NYU" or "Why CLS" essays?

Some do. I wouldn't expect it to help you much, they are both top 6 schools - they know why you want to be there. Both schools, especially NYU, are known for being very numbers driven.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:20 am

courtneyisfetch wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Interviews are actually mandatory for applicants straight from UG, probably so you can state your case for admission despite lack of WE. Either way, there are literally 5-6 such people in the class, almost always with very impressive internships and/or leadership experience.

As to your 2nd question, they know it's because they're the best schools outside HYS, so they don't need "Why X?" essays.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:05 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

try to get a fee waiver.

Were you in state for UVA? If so you aren't a great example.

Shouldve clarified, thought it would be assumed by me not saying anything--non-urm, not in-state.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:10 am

im_blue wrote:
IAFG wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

A lot of people have been applying ED lately, let's say 25% ED + 40% in-state + 15% URM = 70-75% of the class filled with mostly splitters and reverse splitters, leaving about 100 seats for the 7000 or so non-URM OOS RDs.

It's a pretty big assumption that there is little to no overlap between ED/in-state, ED/URM, and in-state/URM.

Guess I should still feel a little special to have been offered a spot last year as a splitter for them, even though I ended up going elsewhere. I didn't think my softs/PS were very strong.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:16 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
im_blue wrote:
IAFG wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

It's a pretty big assumption that there is little to no overlap between ED/in-state, ED/URM, and in-state/URM.

Lower bound is roughly 40% in-state + 60% * (25% ED + 15% URM) = 64%.
Upper bound is 40% + 25% + 15% = 80%.
So a reasonable estimate would be 70-75%, leaving 25-30% non-URM OOS RDs. About half of this group is probably above both medians and given scholarship money to attend (to balance out the URMs). That leaves about 15% of the class for non-URM OOS RDs that meet only one median.
Last edited by im_blue on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

courtneyisfetch

Postby courtneyisfetch » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:27 am

Last edited by courtneyisfetch on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Good luck! Hope you do well, partly because I'm your numbers twin (172 / 3.63) and that might bode well for me hehe.

Return to “What are my chances?”