3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
aw43duke

New

3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Post by aw43duke » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:34 am

3.76/173 from a top 10 (lower top 10) UG. Great recs, avg softs, 1.5 yr WE, slightly above avg PS. I already got in to Duke, but I was wondering if they look at your GPA trend. I have a strong upward trend (3.6 first 2 years and 3.9 last 2 years - five classes every semester). What's my shot at Columbia. I'm clearly looking pretty bad for HYS, but if GPA trend matters should I write an addendum?

Thanks

sophia.olive

Silver

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Post by sophia.olive » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:38 am

aw43duke wrote:3.76/173 from a top 10 (lower top 10) UG. Great recs, avg softs, 1.5 yr WE, slightly above avg PS. I already got in to Duke, but I was wondering if they look at your GPA trend. I have a strong upward trend (3.6 first 2 years and 3.9 last 2 years - five classes every semester). What's my shot at Columbia. I'm clearly looking pretty bad for HYS, but if GPA trend matters should I write an addendum?

Thanks
lol at slightly above avg PS

Trend does not matter. But you have a shot at columbia regardless.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:44 am

I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 am

im_blue wrote:I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.
Thank goodness we have websites like hourumd.com to help us so we don't have to make up random and inaccurate guesses.

79.82% for CLS, 93.55% for NYU.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=173&gpa=3. ... o&range=no

UPennLaw

New

Post by UPennLaw » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:12 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Thank goodness we have websites like hourumd.com to help us so we don't have to make up random and inaccurate guesses.

I'm not sure how much I would trust hourumd - especially since NYU raised it LSAT 75th percentile to 175 and its LSAT median to 172. Things change between cycles - not sure how helpful sites like hourumd will be until those numbers stabilize a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Lolololol 3.76/173 as 93.55% for NYU!??!

Lololololololol

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:40 pm

whymeohgodno wrote: Lolololol 3.76/173 as 93.55% for NYU!??!

Lololololololol
Okay 93% might be a bit of an overstatement but the OP's shot at both NYU and Columbia are good, im_blue's estimates seem far too conservative. He's above both medians for crying out loud, and neither NYU or Columbia are especially known for looking at things besides numbers. The upward trend of course will not matter.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:53 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Lololololololol
While I do agree with UPenn's assessment, this is hardly an LOLOLOL. The fact that he's above the LSAT median with a solid GPA will be strongly in his favor - if NYU is trying to surpass CC and eventually catch HYS (which, if you've ever heard their dean talk, the school certainly believes is a future possibility) then OP's numbers will be very desirable. The fact is that OP and others like him aren't suddenly needing HLS numbers to get NYU - above median LSAT is still above median LSAT, regardless of whether the median is 171 or 172. I think people are significantly underestimating his chances at a school as numbers driven as NYU. OP has much stronger than a 50% chance at NYU.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:57 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Lololololololol
While I do agree with UPenn's assessment, this is hardly an LOLOLOL. The fact that he's above the LSAT median with a solid GPA will be strongly in his favor - if NYU is trying to surpass CC and eventually catch HYS (which, if you've ever heard their dean talk, the school certainly believes is a future possibility) then OP's numbers will be very desirable. The fact is that OP and others like him aren't suddenly needing HLS numbers to get NYU - above median LSAT is still above median LSAT, regardless of whether the median is 171 or 172. I think people are significantly underestimating his chances at a school as numbers driven as NYU. OP has much stronger than a 50% chance at NYU.
It might be better than 50% but it's nowhere near 90%+.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:58 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Lololololololol
Also, the more I think of this, I'm not sure which part is lulz worthy. You see, if your argument is that the medians have changed and what was once sufficient no longer will be - that's not exactly lulz-worthy; instead, you'd probably want to simply state that you have an issue with the data for that reason. So were you laughing at how high the percentage was? Because I didn't just pull that out of thin air: 116-8 is the record at NYU with people at his numbers based on LSN. Providing an obnoxious lololol to that stat just because it sounds high makes you sound stupid.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:09 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Lololololololol
Also, the more I think of this, I'm not sure which part is lulz worthy. You see, if your argument is that the medians have changed and what was once sufficient no longer will be - that's not exactly lulz-worthy; instead, you'd probably want to simply state that you have an issue with the data for that reason. So were you laughing at how high the percentage was? Because I didn't just pull that out of thin air: 116-8 is the record at NYU with people at his numbers based on LSN. Providing an obnoxious lololol to that stat just because it sounds high makes you sound stupid.
Keep up to date. Medians have been raised. Not sure what data you are looking at but it's obviously not the most recent one.

Until you realize that medians have changed you won't get anywhere in this argument.

Just a quick search at LSN for people with 173 LSAT and 3.76-3.80 GPA, excluding URMs and multiple LSAT takers this is the info I got.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

Around a 50/50 chance. And you were saying 93%+ chance? lololololololol

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:08 pm

whymeohgodno wrote: Keep up to date. Medians have been raised. Not sure what data you are looking at but it's obviously not the most recent one.

Until you realize that medians have changed you won't get anywhere in this argument.

Just a quick search at LSN for people with 173 LSAT and 3.76-3.80 GPA, excluding URMs and multiple LSAT takers this is the info I got.

The medians have changed, but OP is still above both of them so that point doesn't really make any sense. Of the people in the group that you linked to who didn't get in one took the LSAT three times and another describes in his personal info having well below average soft factors, which points to the user either having NO soft factors or something that actively hurts his or her chances. This is the danger with such a small sample size, it basically becomes meaningless because individual quirks come into play. I'd say the OPs chances are better than you are guessing but not quite at 93%.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:23 pm

St.Remy wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote: Keep up to date. Medians have been raised. Not sure what data you are looking at but it's obviously not the most recent one.

The medians have changed, but OP is still above both of them so that point doesn't really make any sense. Of the people in the group that you linked to who didn't get in one took the LSAT three times and another describes in his personal info having well below average soft factors, which points to the user either having NO soft factors or something that actively hurts his or her chances. This is the danger with such a small sample size, it basically becomes meaningless because individual quirks come into play. I'd say the OPs chances are better than you are guessing but not quite at 93%.
The medians matter because 75th matter. NYU raised it's 75th LSAT.

If you think that being above both medians but below both 75th is same as being above both 75th, that's patently ridiculous.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:09 pm

whymeohgodno wrote: The medians matter because 75th matter. NYU raised it's 75th LSAT.

If you think that being above both medians but below both 75th is same as being above both 75th, that's patently ridiculous.
You are correct, that would be patently ridiculous, which is probably why I never suggested that in the slightest. To reiterate OP is above both MEDIANS and with NYU being very numbers driven that gives OP a good shot at admissions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”