3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
aw43duke
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:01 pm

3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby aw43duke » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:34 am

3.76/173 from a top 10 (lower top 10) UG. Great recs, avg softs, 1.5 yr WE, slightly above avg PS. I already got in to Duke, but I was wondering if they look at your GPA trend. I have a strong upward trend (3.6 first 2 years and 3.9 last 2 years - five classes every semester). What's my shot at Columbia. I'm clearly looking pretty bad for HYS, but if GPA trend matters should I write an addendum?

Thanks

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:38 am

aw43duke wrote:3.76/173 from a top 10 (lower top 10) UG. Great recs, avg softs, 1.5 yr WE, slightly above avg PS. I already got in to Duke, but I was wondering if they look at your GPA trend. I have a strong upward trend (3.6 first 2 years and 3.9 last 2 years - five classes every semester). What's my shot at Columbia. I'm clearly looking pretty bad for HYS, but if GPA trend matters should I write an addendum?

Thanks


lol at slightly above avg PS

Trend does not matter. But you have a shot at columbia regardless.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby im_blue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:44 am

I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 am

im_blue wrote:I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.


Thank goodness we have websites like hourumd.com to help us so we don't have to make up random and inaccurate guesses.

79.82% for CLS, 93.55% for NYU.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=173&gpa=3.76&money=no&urm=no&waitlist=no&range=no

UPennLaw
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby UPennLaw » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:12 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
im_blue wrote:I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.


Thank goodness we have websites like hourumd.com to help us so we don't have to make up random and inaccurate guesses.

79.82% for CLS, 93.55% for NYU.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=173&gpa=3.76&money=no&urm=no&waitlist=no&range=no



I'm not sure how much I would trust hourumd - especially since NYU raised it LSAT 75th percentile to 175 and its LSAT median to 172. Things change between cycles - not sure how helpful sites like hourumd will be until those numbers stabilize a bit.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
im_blue wrote:I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.


Thank goodness we have websites like hourumd.com to help us so we don't have to make up random and inaccurate guesses.

79.82% for CLS, 93.55% for NYU.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=173&gpa=3.76&money=no&urm=no&waitlist=no&range=no


Lolololol 3.76/173 as 93.55% for NYU!??!

Lololololololol

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:40 pm

whymeohgodno wrote: Lolololol 3.76/173 as 93.55% for NYU!??!

Lololololololol


Okay 93% might be a bit of an overstatement but the OP's shot at both NYU and Columbia are good, im_blue's estimates seem far too conservative. He's above both medians for crying out loud, and neither NYU or Columbia are especially known for looking at things besides numbers. The upward trend of course will not matter.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:53 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
im_blue wrote:I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.


Thank goodness we have websites like hourumd.com to help us so we don't have to make up random and inaccurate guesses.

79.82% for CLS, 93.55% for NYU.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=173&gpa=3.76&money=no&urm=no&waitlist=no&range=no


Lolololol 3.76/173 as 93.55% for NYU!??!

Lololololololol

While I do agree with UPenn's assessment, this is hardly an LOLOLOL. The fact that he's above the LSAT median with a solid GPA will be strongly in his favor - if NYU is trying to surpass CC and eventually catch HYS (which, if you've ever heard their dean talk, the school certainly believes is a future possibility) then OP's numbers will be very desirable. The fact is that OP and others like him aren't suddenly needing HLS numbers to get NYU - above median LSAT is still above median LSAT, regardless of whether the median is 171 or 172. I think people are significantly underestimating his chances at a school as numbers driven as NYU. OP has much stronger than a 50% chance at NYU.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:57 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
im_blue wrote:I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.


Thank goodness we have websites like hourumd.com to help us so we don't have to make up random and inaccurate guesses.

79.82% for CLS, 93.55% for NYU.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=173&gpa=3.76&money=no&urm=no&waitlist=no&range=no


Lolololol 3.76/173 as 93.55% for NYU!??!

Lololololololol

While I do agree with UPenn's assessment, this is hardly an LOLOLOL. The fact that he's above the LSAT median with a solid GPA will be strongly in his favor - if NYU is trying to surpass CC and eventually catch HYS (which, if you've ever heard their dean talk, the school certainly believes is a future possibility) then OP's numbers will be very desirable. The fact is that OP and others like him aren't suddenly needing HLS numbers to get NYU - above median LSAT is still above median LSAT, regardless of whether the median is 171 or 172. I think people are significantly underestimating his chances at a school as numbers driven as NYU. OP has much stronger than a 50% chance at NYU.


It might be better than 50% but it's nowhere near 90%+.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:58 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
im_blue wrote:I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.


Thank goodness we have websites like hourumd.com to help us so we don't have to make up random and inaccurate guesses.

79.82% for CLS, 93.55% for NYU.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=173&gpa=3.76&money=no&urm=no&waitlist=no&range=no


Lolololol 3.76/173 as 93.55% for NYU!??!

Lololololololol

Also, the more I think of this, I'm not sure which part is lulz worthy. You see, if your argument is that the medians have changed and what was once sufficient no longer will be - that's not exactly lulz-worthy; instead, you'd probably want to simply state that you have an issue with the data for that reason. So were you laughing at how high the percentage was? Because I didn't just pull that out of thin air: 116-8 is the record at NYU with people at his numbers based on LSN. Providing an obnoxious lololol to that stat just because it sounds high makes you sound stupid.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:09 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
im_blue wrote:I'd say 40-50% for CLS, 50-60% for NYU.


Thank goodness we have websites like hourumd.com to help us so we don't have to make up random and inaccurate guesses.

79.82% for CLS, 93.55% for NYU.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=173&gpa=3.76&money=no&urm=no&waitlist=no&range=no


Lolololol 3.76/173 as 93.55% for NYU!??!

Lololololololol

Also, the more I think of this, I'm not sure which part is lulz worthy. You see, if your argument is that the medians have changed and what was once sufficient no longer will be - that's not exactly lulz-worthy; instead, you'd probably want to simply state that you have an issue with the data for that reason. So were you laughing at how high the percentage was? Because I didn't just pull that out of thin air: 116-8 is the record at NYU with people at his numbers based on LSN. Providing an obnoxious lololol to that stat just because it sounds high makes you sound stupid.


Keep up to date. Medians have been raised. Not sure what data you are looking at but it's obviously not the most recent one.

Until you realize that medians have changed you won't get anywhere in this argument.

Just a quick search at LSN for people with 173 LSAT and 3.76-3.80 GPA, excluding URMs and multiple LSAT takers this is the info I got.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

Around a 50/50 chance. And you were saying 93%+ chance? lololololololol

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:08 pm

whymeohgodno wrote: Keep up to date. Medians have been raised. Not sure what data you are looking at but it's obviously not the most recent one.

Until you realize that medians have changed you won't get anywhere in this argument.

Just a quick search at LSN for people with 173 LSAT and 3.76-3.80 GPA, excluding URMs and multiple LSAT takers this is the info I got.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

Around a 50/50 chance. And you were saying 93%+ chance? lololololololol


The medians have changed, but OP is still above both of them so that point doesn't really make any sense. Of the people in the group that you linked to who didn't get in one took the LSAT three times and another describes in his personal info having well below average soft factors, which points to the user either having NO soft factors or something that actively hurts his or her chances. This is the danger with such a small sample size, it basically becomes meaningless because individual quirks come into play. I'd say the OPs chances are better than you are guessing but not quite at 93%.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:23 pm

St.Remy wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote: Keep up to date. Medians have been raised. Not sure what data you are looking at but it's obviously not the most recent one.

Until you realize that medians have changed you won't get anywhere in this argument.

Just a quick search at LSN for people with 173 LSAT and 3.76-3.80 GPA, excluding URMs and multiple LSAT takers this is the info I got.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

Around a 50/50 chance. And you were saying 93%+ chance? lololololololol


The medians have changed, but OP is still above both of them so that point doesn't really make any sense. Of the people in the group that you linked to who didn't get in one took the LSAT three times and another describes in his personal info having well below average soft factors, which points to the user either having NO soft factors or something that actively hurts his or her chances. This is the danger with such a small sample size, it basically becomes meaningless because individual quirks come into play. I'd say the OPs chances are better than you are guessing but not quite at 93%.


The medians matter because 75th matter. NYU raised it's 75th LSAT.

If you think that being above both medians but below both 75th is same as being above both 75th, that's patently ridiculous.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: 3.76/173, does upward trending GPA matter?

Postby St.Remy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:09 pm

whymeohgodno wrote: The medians matter because 75th matter. NYU raised it's 75th LSAT.

If you think that being above both medians but below both 75th is same as being above both 75th, that's patently ridiculous.


You are correct, that would be patently ridiculous, which is probably why I never suggested that in the slightest. To reiterate OP is above both MEDIANS and with NYU being very numbers driven that gives OP a good shot at admissions.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest