171, 3.3, URM born out of the country

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
drywallr

171, 3.3, URM born out of the country

Postby drywallr » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm just wondering what my chances are at the T-14. I have pretty good softs, I've been involved in quite a bit. My grades are a definite upward trend, with low the first year and a half and 4.0s afterwards. I was born in a small Latin American country, am bilingual, and go to a pretty good private university in the south. I think I have a decent personal statement. The only blemish on my record other than my freshman gpa is an alcohol disciplinary violation, also when I was a freshman. What do ya'll think?

vanwinkle

Re: 171, 3.3, URM born out of the country

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:03 pm

Definitely good in the lower T14, iffy in the T6 (since low GPAs aren't very popular at those schools, URM or not). However, it's worth an application at least; you should blanket all of the T14. Make sure your personal statement discusses your background, or that you write a diversity statement that highlights it.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:28 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Definitely good in the lower T14, iffy in the T6 (since low GPAs aren't very popular at those schools, URM or not). However, it's worth an application at least; you should blanket all of the T14. Make sure your personal statement discusses your background, or that you write a diversity statement that highlights it.

+1 to the DS since you probably aren't considered a URM by the strict definition. CW says only PR/Mex are considered URM. Those numbers are good regardless though. Someone is going to bring up UVA ED so I'll just throw it out there now as its probably your best chance at T10. You're background makes me think you should avoid that and hope that one of CCNMVP accepts you though.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:04 am

FuManChusco wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Definitely good in the lower T14, iffy in the T6 (since low GPAs aren't very popular at those schools, URM or not). However, it's worth an application at least; you should blanket all of the T14. Make sure your personal statement discusses your background, or that you write a diversity statement that highlights it.

+1 to the DS since you probably aren't considered a URM by the strict definition. CW says only PR/Mex are considered URM. Those numbers are good regardless though. Someone is going to bring up UVA ED so I'll just throw it out there now as its probably your best chance at T10. You're background makes me think you should avoid that and hope that one of CCNMVP accepts you though.

+1

ED to UVA

Return to “What are my chances?”