Better to go to lower ranked school or best school?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ThundercatsRinnocent

Better to go to lower ranked school or best school?

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:19 pm

Talking in terms of T14.
Let's say you have an incredibly high GPA (3.9+) and score well on the LSAT (172+)
Would it be likely for that person to get a full ride at a lower T14 like Cornell, Georgetown or Duke?

And if you get into a top school (HYS) and have the option at a full ride at one of those lower T14's would it make more sense financially to attend the lower ranked school?

Will employment opportunities differ much for someone who graduates in the top 5% of their class at HYS than for someone who also graduates really high in their class at a lower ranked T14?

I've always heard that the smartest decision is to go to the best school you can get into regardless of how many loans you have to take out to attend.
Last edited by ThundercatsRinnocent on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Re: Better to go to lower ranked school or best school?

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:20 pm

overestimating how easy it is to squeeze a full-ride out of T14s.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:22 pm

overestimating how easy it is to be in the top 5%

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:overestimating how easy it is to be in the top 5%

and if you can't figure out on your own that HYS v. $$ is a personal choice, not a hard-and-fast rule, you're prolly not gonna get there from here

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:25 pm

IAFG wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:overestimating how easy it is to be in the top 5%

and if you can't figure out on your own that HYS v. $$ is a personal choice, not a hard-and-fast rule, you're prolly not gonna get there from here

We'll see about that

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:30 pm

A few things...

1) You are way oversimplifying everything: law school rankings, class rankings while in law school, and post-law school employment prospects. You need to be more specific with your questions.

2) http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ Learn it. Live it. Love it.

3) Duke =/= Georgetown and Cornell

4)
ThundercatsRinnocent wrote:I've always heard that the smartest decision is to go to the best school you can get into regardless of how many loans you have to take out to attend.ndercatsRinnocent"]

This could not be further from the truth. For example, if you have a full scholly at Vandy you would be an idiot to pay sticker at Cornell. And you can go on down the line.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 pm

You don't have a GPA or an LSAT and are already planning on finishing top 5% at HYS?

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:37 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:A few things...

1) You are way oversimplifying everything: law school rankings, class rankings while in law school, and post-law school employment prospects. You need to be more specific with your questions.

Oh really? Well maybe you could start by being more specific about how I "oversimplified everything" 8)

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 pm

rayiner wrote:You don't have a GPA or an LSAT and are already planning on finishing top 5% at HYS?

I have a 3.9 GPA if you really must know.

The LSAT shouldn't be too difficult.

Also I'm a URM so I'm not really worried. Yeah, I guess top 5 might be difficult but I know I'm gonna be up there.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 pm

ThundercatsRinnocent wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:A few things...

Oh really? Well maybe you could start by being more specific about how I "oversimplified everything" 8)

Or you could just take the advice you are given (since you did come here to seek it), and not be a smartass to someone who is actually giving you legitimate advice. (As opposed to me, someone who did not give you legitimate advice)

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

rayiner wrote:You don't have a GPA or an LSAT and are already planning on finishing top 5% at HYS?

Also I'm a URM so I'm not really worried. Yeah, I guess top 5 might be difficult but I know I'm gonna be up there.

Wow. Jesus Christ you have a lot to learn. It's been a long time since I've seen this type of ignorance on TLS. And that's saying a lot.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

ThundercatsRinnocent wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I was hoping you could give me useful insight.
I'm an undergraduate student currently going to a community college in New Jersey. I came here (CC) because I was misinformed about college out of high school and attended an expensive liberal arts school in NY because my SAT scores (1900/2400) were above average but not good enough to get me into a Top 50 School. So anyway, $25,000 in loans later, I'm at community college.

Because my family is poor, I'm planning to transfer to UNC-Chapel Hill, a reputable school known for its generous financial aid (and also a school I would not have been admitted to as a HS senior). It also happens to have excellent English and History programs (I'm planning to double major in both when I transfer)

Anyway, sorry for the autobiography.

My GPA at my first school was a 3.6
My GPA at community college is a 3.9

Assuming I transfer to UNC, if I keep a 3.8+ GPA there and take the LSAT during the summer of 2012, what kind of LSAT score would I need to have a chance of getting accepted into a T14 school?

I'm a legitimate ethnic minority (100% Puerto Rican) and hopefully I'll have decent soft factors by the time I apply. I'm also planning to do work study when I transfer so that I have some invaluable work experience to put on my applications.

Would the community college GPA be a concern? Because as I understand it, the top law schools prefer that their students spent 4 years at a prestigious undergraduate institution..right?
Would you recommend applying a year after I've completed my bachelor's degree(s) so that the law schools would consider all of my college grades and not just 1 year from a liberal arts school, 2 years from community college and 1 year from UNC? (as opposed to 2 years of UNC coursework)

Sorry if I'm posting this thread in the wrong forum. I'm new here and not familiar with this message board just yet.

LOL who can't swing a 4.0 at a CC?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Yeah, take the LSAT, then we'll talk. Plus, you better be AA, because other URMs don't carry nearly the same weight. But again, overestimating how easy it is to be top 5%. The majority of people at HYS (most of the T-14 for that matter), are individuals who are used to getting 3.9 GPAs, etc. You aren't special. So, yeah, take the LSAT. It won't be as easy as you think, I can guarantee you that.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Defensive OP is defensive

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:47 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:

Yeah, take the LSAT, then we'll talk. Plus, you better be AA, because other URMs don't carry nearly the same weight. But again, overestimating how easy it is to be top 5%. The majority of people at HYS (most of the T-14 for that matter), are individuals who are used to getting 3.9 GPAs, etc. You aren't special. So, yeah, take the LSAT. It won't be as easy as you think, I can guarantee you that.

Yeah... honestly I don't even know about law school yet. It seems kind of boring and I really don't need to be working long hours during my 20's. I'm too young for that kinda thing. More than likely to the pursue a PhD in English Literature, although I'm disappointed that there isn't a similar URM boost for English PhD admissions.

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:49 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Defensive OP is defensive

I'm not defensive. You must have misinterpreted my posts.

I'm sitting here drinking tea and reading a magazine 8)

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:55 pm

No, pretty sure you're being defensive.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:56 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:

Yeah... honestly I don't even know about law school yet. It seems kind of boring and I really don't need to be working long hours during my 20's. I'm too young for that kinda thing. More than likely to the pursue a PhD in English Literature, although I'm disappointed that there isn't a similar URM boost for English PhD admissions.

Okay, now I'm starting to think you're just a flame. Who talks like this?

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:56 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

No, pretty sure you're being defensive.

Lol fine you win.

(What a bunch of nerds!) :!:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:57 pm

OP:

1. You don't have an LSAT score. Your attitude that it is easy is pretty misguided. It comes naturally for some people, and other people have to really work at it. The odds of you getting a 172+ without serious work is pretty naive. Scoring in the 170s is doable for a lot of people, but not everyone can do it, and even most that do score that high have to study a LOT for it.
2. It isn't easy to pull a full ride.
3. It is extremely difficult to finish in the top 5% no matter where you go. You could go to a T3 and still struggle to finish that high in your class. There are so many variables involved.
4. In general, going to the best school is TCR. But sometimes it is not. And sometimes it is best to go with a hybrid of your priorities ($$/best school/geography/fit/etc.)
5. Ignore the harsh responses, TLS can be brutal to a noob.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:01 am

ThundercatsRinnocent wrote:my SAT scores (1900/2400)

And you think you can score 170+ on the LSAT? Go take one of the practice tests in the 50's. Time it. Come back and ask us how you can up your 150-158. We'll tell you to focus on keeping your GPA up and take powerscore or follow pithypike's guide. Also, you got a B at a community college and you think you can get top 5% at HYS? Come on man. Get a grip.

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:03 am

romothesavior wrote:OP:

1. You don't have an LSAT score. Your attitude that it is easy is pretty misguided. It comes naturally for some people, and other people have to really work at it. The odds of you getting a 172+ without serious work is pretty naive. Scoring in the 170s is doable for a lot of people, but not everyone can do it, and even most that do score that high have to study a LOT for it.
2. It isn't easy to pull a full ride.
3. It is extremely difficult to finish in the top 5% no matter where you go. You could go to a T3 and still struggle to finish that high in your class. There are so many variables involved.
4. In general, going to the best school is TCR. But sometimes it is not. And sometimes it is best to go with a hybrid of your priorities ($$/best school/geography/fit/etc.)
5. Ignore the harsh responses, TLS can be brutal to a noob.

Alright cool.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:04 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:

Come on man. Get a grip.

I think 1:23-1:27 is what you're looking for here.

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:06 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:

And you think you can score 170+ on the LSAT? Go take one of the practice tests in the 50's. Time it. Come back and ask us how you can up your 150-158. We'll tell you to focus on keeping your GPA up and take powerscore or follow pithypike's guide. Also, you got a B at a community college and you think you can get top 5% at HYS? Come on man. Get a grip.

Man you're such a cornball. FYI, my SAT point distribution was Reading- 680, Math- 500, Writing- 720.
You seem to have forgotten that the SAT is a HS exam so you can calm down right about now :)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:07 am

SAT scores? Really???

This thread is all sorts of win.

Return to “What are my chances?”