3.7/158 History Major

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
IamAskier

3.7/158 History Major

Postby IamAskier » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:23 pm

3.7 GPA 158 History Major from U of Utah (really LOATH the LSAT but would consider retaking)

Regional aspirations, comfortable with tier 2 school possiblity.
Applied:
U of Utah
U of Oregon
L&C
Seattle U
Denver U
Boulder
Gonzaga
Michigan St
Penn St
Loyola LA
UNLV
Notre Dame (No chance, I know, but mircales happen)

ATR

Re: 3.7/158 History Major

Postby ATR » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Retake. You can get some good scholarship money at T2s if you raise your LSAT 5 points or so.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Definitely, retaking is a possibility if I don't get in where I want. Scholarship money aside though, I'm just more curious about whether or not with my current numbers I'll get accepted.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:38 pm

atresia wrote:Retake.

Curry

Postby Curry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:51 pm

JazzOne wrote:

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:02 am

curryinaninstant wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

irenic

Postby irenic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:08 am

I'll say in at each except ND and Boulder

irenic

Postby irenic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:21 am

atresia wrote:Retake. You can get some good scholarship money at T2s if you raise your LSAT 5 points or so.

He would likely get into several T1s with a 3.7/163. Why bother w/ the T2s at that point?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:22 am

irenic wrote:
atresia wrote:Retake. You can get some good scholarship money at T2s if you raise your LSAT 5 points or so.

He would likely get into several T1s with a 3.7/163. Why bother w/ the T2s at that point?

To be fair, 99% of TLS would be telling him to retake even with a 163.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:25 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
irenic wrote:

To be fair, 99% of TLS would be telling him to retake even with a 163 167 to aim for T14.

irenic

Postby irenic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:25 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
irenic wrote:

To be fair, 99% of TLS would be telling him to retake even with a 163.

Agreed, which is why I find it frustrating to see people taking advice from some at TLS who assume everybody and their dog can get a 170.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:28 am

im_blue wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
irenic wrote:

To be fair, 99% of TLS would be telling him to retake even with a 163 167 to aim for T14.

Makes me want to retake the LSAT more and more.

irenic

Postby irenic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:43 am

Go for it if you're confident you can get that kind of score increase.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:45 am

irenic wrote:Go for it if you're confident you can get that kind of score increase.

I will take a year off if this cycle doesn't go as I want it to ~

irenic

Postby irenic » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:46 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
irenic wrote:Go for it if you're confident you can get that kind of score increase.

Just out of curiosity, w/o $$$, which offers do you think you'd accept?

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:53 am

Well, Notre Dame no question... but I've come to terms with the reality that I stand no chance.

I would be perfectly happy with Utah, then probably Boulder or L&C. I really want to stay in Utah due to the cheap tuition and location (though being a 1L that probably wont matter).

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:54 am

irenic wrote:Agreed, which is why I find it frustrating to see people taking advice from some at TLS who assume everybody and their dog can get a 170.

That's not why people say "retake" and that's not why people say "170+ or bust" or that sort of thing. The perception isn't that everyone can get a 165 or a 170, but that if you can't, you really need to reexamine your career plans. A law degree is ridiculously expensive to obtain, law itself is a merciless career path, and the over-saturation in the job market is a very real problem that people in the T14 are facing (including T14 people on this site, sadly). How do you think someone will fare in a TTT when T14 people can't even get jobs?

The best thing TLS ever did for me was help convince me not to go to law school. It's not rude. It's not overly pessimistic. It's a reality check that breaks down this idea of everyone being a "special snowflake." They'll take your money. They'll print you a degree. Does that mean you're going to find a job or be successful or not drown in debt? Hell no.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:00 am

James Bond wrote:
irenic wrote:Agreed, which is why I find it frustrating to see people taking advice from some at TLS who assume everybody and their dog can get a 170.

That's not why people say "retake" and that's not why people say "170+ or bust" or that sort of thing. The perception isn't that everyone can get a 165 or a 170, but that if you can't, you really need to reexamine your career plans. A law degree is ridiculously expensive to obtain, law itself is a merciless career path, and the over-saturation in the job market is a very real problem that people in the T14 are facing (including T14 people on this site, sadly). How do you think someone will fare in a TTT when T14 people can't even get jobs?

The best thing TLS ever did for me was help convince me not to go to law school. It's not rude. It's not overly pessimistic. It's a reality check that breaks down this idea of everyone being a "special snowflake." They'll take your money. They'll print you a degree. Does that mean you're going to find a job or be successful or not drown in debt? Hell no.

Point well taken, though a little depressing. What else is a History major to do though? I like my chances better with JD rather than a history masters/phd.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:02 am

IamAskier wrote:
James Bond wrote:

Point well taken, though a little depressing. What else is a History major to do though? I like my chances better with JD rather than a history masters/phd.

Well I mean you CAN retake, if you feel you can study harder or more effectively and do better.

If not, look into other directions. Don't let your bachelors degree hold you back. What are you good at? What are your interests?

cortnf

Postby cortnf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:05 am

IamAskier wrote:
James Bond wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrepreneurship

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:07 am

IamAskier wrote:
James Bond wrote:

http://www.historians.org/pubs/free/careers/index.htm

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:19 am

James Bond wrote:
IamAskier wrote:
James Bond wrote:

Well I mean you CAN retake, if you feel you can study harder or more effectively and do better.

If not, look into other directions. Don't let your bachelors degree hold you back. What are you good at? What are your interests?

If law school doesn't work out this cycle I'll probably take the year and reevaluate. My goal, with or without a JD, is hopefully a government or public interest job, preferably in the environmental/natural resource spheres. The intense schedule and work load of the private sector is by no means a deal-breaker, and given the potentially high grade salary I think I might eventually go that route.

I'm not opposed to retaking, I just hate standardized testing. Right now I'm just hoping that 158 doesn't keep me out of ALL my top choices.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:20 am

Also, I believe Jack Ryan was a history major, and look what all he accomplished! Badass agent, head of the CIA, President of the United States, etc.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:24 am

True, I could always join the Corp and become an international man of intrigue

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 am

irenic wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Just out of curiosity, w/o $$$, which offers do you think you'd accept?

Cornell as dream school UCLA/Vandy/UT as targets. I'll 100% retake if I don't get into any of these. I'll probably retake if I don't get into Cornell.

Return to “What are my chances?”