U Miami Law Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
victor3712

New

U Miami Law

Post by victor3712 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:46 am

Hi,
I am a Chinese, 157 and 3.3. How is my chance for U Miami Law?

Grizz

Diamond

Re: U Miami Law

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:54 am

Retake LSAT so you don't have to go to Miami. FL legal market is in a huge toilet right now. Miami is a desirable market for people from more prestigious schools. It isn't even the best school in FL to get a job in Miami (that would be UF).

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:04 am

Retake.

victor3712

New

Post by victor3712 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:13 am

rad law wrote:Retake LSAT so you don't have to go to Miami. FL legal market is in a huge toilet right now. Miami is a desirable market for people from more prestigious schools. It isn't even the best school in FL to get a job in Miami (that would be UF).
Thank you for your advice but I don't have time for the Dec LSAT. I still wonder my chance for U Miami Law. Also, will it help being a URM?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:20 am

victor3712 wrote:
rad law wrote:Retake LSAT so you don't have to go to Miami. FL legal market is in a huge toilet right now. Miami is a desirable market for people from more prestigious schools. It isn't even the best school in FL to get a job in Miami (that would be UF).
Thank you for your advice but I don't have time for the Dec LSAT. I still wonder my chance for U Miami Law. Also, will it help being a URM?
Since you're not a URM, no, it won't help you. Chinese aren't underrepresented. You should get in anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

victor3712

New

Post by victor3712 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:57 am

rad law wrote:
victor3712 wrote:
Since you're not a URM, no, it won't help you. Chinese aren't underrepresented. You should get in anyways.
Thanks again. Could you please suggest some other schools with my 157/3.3?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 am

victor3712 wrote:
rad law wrote:
victor3712 wrote:
Thanks again. Could you please suggest some other schools with my 157/3.3?
FIU.

If you're planning to break into this market, good luck.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 am

Tampa market is growing. HTH <3

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 am

When we visited Miami, I met someone who had even worse stats then you. He had a 3.2+ from Wash U and a 156 on the LSAT and got accepted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:48 am

taxguy wrote:When we visited Miami, I met someone who had even worse stats then you. He had a 3.2+ from Wash U and a 156 on the LSAT and got accepted.
riskeh bzns.
just apply now and you'll be fine.
if you dont mind spending $$ on private school, throw an app to Stetson too.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 am

Barbie wrote:
Well at this point, the market has been so astoundingly had that there's no where to go but up. That's not saying much haha.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:54 am

rad law wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Well at this point, the market has been so astoundingly had that there's no where to go but up. That's not saying much haha.
Firm I'm working for now is looking to double in size in the next 2 years (and hires pretty much 95% FL law grads) and I know a few other firms are expanding. Jussayin :D and I know Tampa=/= Miami haha but it was pretty much to back my claim that if he doesnt mind throwing around $$ for private to apply to Stetson.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:55 am

victor3712 wrote: Thanks again. Could you please suggest some other schools with my 157/3.3?
Depends where you want to practice. FL? Stetson I guess, but the same advice as above applies. Don't go unless it's free or close to it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:02 am

Barbie wrote: Firm I'm working for now is looking to double in size in the next 2 years (and hires pretty much 95% FL law grads) and I know a few other firms are expanding.
I don't know whether they're looking to expand via laterals or new hires, but if NALP directory is any indication, summer classes are staying the same, which is to say all but nonexistent (1-2 summers at many firms).

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:39 am

I briefly considered applying to Miami until I read this. Maybe it'll enlighten you, too:
bigred87 wrote:I think you should think of it more long-term. I don't know much about W&L the town that it's in...but as a current Univ of Miami law student, I would warn you as much as I can to stay away. First, Univ. of Miami isn't ranked as well, but don't think it'll be easier to rank in the top of your class--it won't. It's still quite competitive, and it's law school (plus UM has a really really tough curve). I am a 2L at U of Miami in the top 1% of the class, law review, ivy league grad, and had the opportunity to transfer to a top 14 and stayed in Miami for the money--big mistake. None of us have been able to find jobs for the summer, let alone get interviews. And of course, the economy is bad, but if you're looking to stay in South Florida, the job market is already really small, and is as tight as ever---firms down here are taking like 1-2 summers, and they don't even take students from down here. If you graduate from here, it will be hard to get a job anywhere else (I interviewed at many firms all over the country this year, and employers all but laughed at UM and asked why I didn't transfer--not joking). I lucked out and landed a summer associate position for next summer on teh west coast, by sheer luck and right time/place, but most people I know cannot even find an internship. To make a long story short--if you definitely know you want to stay in florida/miami for a very long time, and don't want to have a good shot at big law firm job, stay away from Miami. They lure people in with propaganda and distortions. Go with the better ranked school that will take your further in the long run.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:45 am

check out case western and upitt.
retake and go to a better school.

victor3712

New

Post by victor3712 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:37 pm

taxguy wrote:When we visited Miami, I met someone who had even worse stats then you. He had a 3.2+ from Wash U and a 156 on the LSAT and got accepted.
Thanks. But it seems the median GPA/LSAT is increasing every year. So my 3.3/157 may just be 3.2/156 in last year...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

victor3712

New

Post by victor3712 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Barbie wrote:
riskeh bzns.
So you mean my chance is high? But any possibility of $$ from U Miami Law?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:46 pm

victor3712 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
riskeh bzns.
So you mean my chance is high? But any possibility of $$ from U Miami Law?

No, if you want to SPEND $$. You'll get in to Stetson pretty sure. Don't forsee you getting scholarship money from either, though.

destroyer

New

Post by destroyer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 pm

Hey do not listen to what some of these people are saying. Miami is great school with excellent academic programs and professors. Miami is just a bit underrated at the national level, but carries a great reputation in south florida. Don't be surprised if miami's ranking increases again this year.

With your number you have a realistic chance at getting in, also, being chinese will help. Miami has a reputation of being a very diverse school, so don't be surprised if your background plays an important role in the admission process.

Finally, it doesn't get any better than going to law school in sunny miami. Weather is amazing, tons of things to do, and the women are gorgeous.

victor3712

New

Post by victor3712 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:49 pm

rad law wrote:
victor3712 wrote: Thanks again. Could you please suggest some other schools with my 157/3.3?
Depends where you want to practice. FL? Stetson I guess, but the same advice as above applies. Don't go unless it's free or close to it.
For me, FL is good. How is my chance to get $$ from Miami?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 pm

destroyer wrote:Hey do not listen to what some of these people are saying. Miami is great school with excellent academic programs and professors. Miami is just a bit underrated at the national level, but carries a great reputation in south florida. Don't be surprised if miami's ranking increases again this year.

With your number you have a realistic chance at getting in, also, being chinese will help. Miami has a reputation of being a very diverse school, so don't be surprised if your background plays an important role in the admission process.

Finally, it doesn't get any better than going to law school in sunny miami. Weather is amazing, tons of things to do, and the women are gorgeous.
TINTCR.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:54 pm

destroyer wrote:Hey do not listen to what some of these people are saying. Miami is great school with excellent academic programs and professors. Miami is just a bit underrated at the national level, but carries a great reputation in south florida. Don't be surprised if miami's ranking increases again this year.
The education's fine, it's the job prospects that are bad. A "a bit underrated at the national level?" It has no national rep. It's S. FL rep is good, but because Miami is such a desirable market, firms have their pick of grads form T25 ish school. Seriously. As an example, one of the only firms in FL that's doing good right now, Carlton Fields, didn't give any SA offers to any Miami students last year. In all of FL. Their Miami office hired 2 UVA, 1 Penn, 1 Notre Dame, 1 Duke. In addition, Miami has in-state competition from UF.
Speaking as someone who is Chinese, it won't help. Being Chinese is not special.

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:47 pm

How are you job prospects looking?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”