3.92 UGPA /156 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Underground404

3.92 UGPA /156 LSAT

Postby Underground404 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:54 am

I have a 3.92 LSDAS GPA (3.97 from my home institution) and a 156 LSAT score.

I have relatively strong soft factors: I'm Double Majoring, Scholarship Year Abroad, 5 Years Summer Work Experience, Foreign Language, 4 Great LORs, and a Strong Personal Statement.

As a Reverse-Splitter, I know that I have an uphill battle at some places, but I wanted some opinions from the TLS Boards. Below are a list of schools that I've applied to or am considering applying to. If you have some other schools where you think I'd have a good chance, please share. Also, if there's a Top-100 school where I might get some good financial aid, let me know! Please let me know where you think I have a chance of getting in, where it's iffy, and where I'm safe. Thanks in advance!

**Please don't post and tell me to retake the LSAT...I know it's always an option, but this is to judge options with my current numbers. Thanks!***

SLU (Already Applied)
Hofstra (Already Applied)
Marquette (Already Applied)
Pacific McGeorge (Already Applied)
St. John's
Seton Hall
Rutgers-Newark
DePaul
Loyola-Chicago
Loyola-Los Angeles
Ohio State
Case Western
Iowa
American-WCL
UConn
Illinois
Miami
Brooklyn
Santa Clara

magicman554

Re: 3.92 UGPA /156 LSAT

Postby magicman554 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 am

Retake in December. Seriously, if you want to know your current chances, look at Law School Numbers or Law School Predictor. If you want sold advice, RETAKE. The LSAT is learnable, and you'd be wasting a great GPA. Four or five points improvement makes for a HUGE change in the school list.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:10 am

Apply to schools with low 25th percentile LSATs, e.g. IUB 156, Wisconsin 156, UNC 157, American 158, ASU 158, GMU 158, Iowa 158, OSU 158, SMU 158, UF 158, Minnesota 159. A couple of them might bite on your high GPA.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:19 am

I don't believe in "reverse splitters." I call them "people who need to re-take the LSAT."

(And splitters are "people who should have tried harder in UG." Myself included. :|)

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:22 am

Adjudicator wrote:I don't believe in "reverse splitters." I call them "people who need to re-take the LSAT."

Keep in mind that less than 10% of LSAT takers get a 164+, but probably 10-15% of students at most UGs could get a 3.8+.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:39 am

im_blue wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I don't believe in "reverse splitters." I call them "people who need to re-take the LSAT."

Keep in mind that less than 10% of LSAT takers get a 164+, but probably 10-15% of students at most UGs couldget a 3.8+.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:07 am

Your best option at this point is to retake.

bendtheslurry

Postby bendtheslurry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:31 pm

People who are really high on retaking the LSAT often don't take in mind the fact that you can do worse on your retake and put yourself in a worse off position. You can prepare for a year...improve greatly and still have disastorous test day. Retaking is a gamble and people who tell you otherwise should really start taking this into account.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:34 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:People who are really high on retaking the LSAT often don't take in mind the fact that you can do worse on your retake and put yourself in a worse off position. You can prepare for a year...improve greatly and still have disastorous test day. Retaking is a gamble and people who tell you otherwise should really start taking this into account.

Going to a school that will take a 156/3.92 is also a pretty big gamble.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Cliche TLS reponse approaching. Those aren't strong softs and you need to retake. Glad I could help.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:43 pm

i have a 3.87 and took the lsat last year, got a 156. resigned myself to applying to lower tiered- schools, got accepted to those schools, realized how unhappy i'd be at those schools, decided to wait a year and retake the LSAT. got a 168, now applying to schools i'd be thrilled to go to in my numbers range. your GPA is even better than mine.

RETAKE
THE
LSAT

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Not strong softs. Don't waste a good GPA. Retake.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:11 pm

So you want real options besides "retake retake retake"?

Okay, here's your options.

Go to a mediocre law school with bad job prospects (except MAYBE in the region the school is in), and hope you finish in the top of your class to get a job you'd actually be happy with (read: you had some options and were able to pick one instead of being forced to take Best Available). This option also includes being sad because you probably could get into much better schools if you really wanted to, but didn't test yourself.

Or,

Don't go to law school.

If there's a legitimate reason you can't take the damn LSAT again now or in Feb, just stop applying and start looking for jobs for a year until you take the LSAT again.

You're asking for advice that really can't be credited, because retaking the LSAT should be your only option. I'm sorry it's not what you want to hear.

GrapeApe

Postby GrapeApe » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:32 am

Dude, you have to remember that for most of the ignorant elitists that post here, they only think in terms of OH NOEZ!!!!!!!! BIG LAWZ OR BUSTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, if you want to work in a Big Law firm, then you absolutely need to work for a higher LSAT and apply to a school that the elitist ivory tower pieces of filth will hire you from. (Never-mind that the ignorant hacks that infest such places aren't nearly as smart as they think that they are.)

However, for some people, going to law school for FREE at a lower ranked school can make a great deal of sense. Think about this, even if you do manage to get in at sticker price to one of the OH NOEZ!!!! BIG NAME SKOOLS!!!!!! you will HAVE to find a job in BigLaw in order to pay down your $180,000 debt that you will accrue during your time in school. If that kind of work is your idea of fun, (Ie: 80-100 hour weeks, no family life, no social life, stuck in an urban cesspool with a bunch of ignorant libtard elites who think they know better than the rest of the world) then by all means, retake the LSAT.

However, with your numbers, you can get a FREE RIDE at a lower ranked school, and then you can comfortably work in a field of law where you will actually have a life outside the job.

For some people, getting a free J.D. from a lower ranked school is a far better option than getting a sticker J.D. at a T14. EVERYONE'S SITUATION IS DIFFERENT, so don't let these people tell you how to live your life.

I took the latter option because it fit my situation. I also turned down law review, refused any extra-curricular activities, and work after classes. (Posters here will tell you that all of the above are death-blows, and OH NOEZ!!!! YOU CAN'T RECOVER FROM THESE DECISIONS!!!!!). Yet strangely enough, I had many opportunities fall into my lap, such as an internship at a major U.S. Attorney's Office (which I also turned down).

The only things that I have learned in law school are that elitist morons don't know nearly as much as they think that they do, and the law is nothing more than the raw exercise of power that a trained monkey could do.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:50 am

tl;dr

Retake

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:51 am

pereira6 wrote:So you want real options besides "retake retake retake"?

Okay, here's your options.

Go to a mediocre law school with bad job prospects (except MAYBE in the region the school is in), and hope you finish in the top of your class to get a job you'd actually be happy with (read: you had some options and were able to pick one instead of being forced to take Best Available). This option also includes being sad because you probably could get into much better schools if you really wanted to, but didn't test yourself.

Or,

Don't go to law school.

If there's a legitimate reason you can't take the damn LSAT again now or in Feb, just stop applying and start looking for jobs for a year until you take the LSAT again.

You're asking for advice that really can't be credited, because retaking the LSAT should be your only option. I'm sorry it's not what you want to hear.

I chose the latter and I have no complaints. ITE it really is a pretty major gamble to attend a lower ranked law school because you did not want to retake the LSAT. The hours put into studying and the money spent on registering for the test will pay huge dividends (assuming you score higher). Also, with a 156, unless you are a URM schools like UIUC and American will absolutely not bite (speaking from the experience of a 4.0/158 with good softs).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:05 pm

GrapeApe wrote:Dude, you have to remember that for most of the ignorant elitists that post here, they only think in terms of OH NOEZ!!!!!!!! BIG LAWZ OR BUSTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, if you want to work in a Big Law firm, then you absolutely need to work for a higher LSAT and apply to a school that the elitist ivory tower pieces of filth jfslfflfj;fls;ljfl

This is where I stopped reading. I'm definitely not biglaw or bust, but I'm pro-jobs. At many schools that will throw money at a 156/3.92, many people in the class struggle to find legal jobs. Period.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:09 pm

rad law wrote:but I'm pro-jobs

This sounds like the campaign slogan for every politician ever.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:25 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
rad law wrote:but I'm pro-jobs

This sounds like the campaign slogan for every politician ever.

Well, it is pretty difficult to argue with

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:33 pm

GrapeApe wrote:Dude, you have to remember that for most of the ignorant elitists that post here, they only think in terms of OH NOEZ!!!!!!!! BIG LAWZ OR BUSTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, if you want to work in a Big Law firm, then you absolutely need to work for a higher LSAT and apply to a school that the elitist ivory tower pieces of filth will hire you from. (Never-mind that the ignorant hacks that infest such places aren't nearly as smart as they think that they are.)

However, for some people, going to law school for FREE at a lower ranked school can make a great deal of sense. Think about this, even if you do manage to get in at sticker price to one of the OH NOEZ!!!! BIG NAME SKOOLS!!!!!! you will HAVE to find a job in BigLaw in order to pay down your $180,000 debt that you will accrue during your time in school. If that kind of work is your idea of fun, (Ie: 80-100 hour weeks, no family life, no social life, stuck in an urban cesspool with a bunch of ignorant libtard elites who think they know better than the rest of the world) then by all means, retake the LSAT.

However, with your numbers, you can get a FREE RIDE at a lower ranked school, and then you can comfortably work in a field of law where you will actually have a life outside the job.

For some people, getting a free J.D. from a lower ranked school is a far better option than getting a sticker J.D. at a T14. EVERYONE'S SITUATION IS DIFFERENT, so don't let these people tell you how to live your life.

I took the latter option because it fit my situation. I also turned down law review, refused any extra-curricular activities, and work after classes. (Posters here will tell you that all of the above are death-blows, and OH NOEZ!!!! YOU CAN'T RECOVER FROM THESE DECISIONS!!!!!). Yet strangely enough, I had many opportunities fall into my lap, such as an internship at a major U.S. Attorney's Office (which I also turned down).

The only things that I have learned in law school are that elitist morons don't know nearly as much as they think that they do, and the law is nothing more than the raw exercise of power that a trained monkey could do.
So are you just copy/pasting this rant into every thread where the OP has a 156?

Return to “What are my chances?”