semi lateral transfer question

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ENGINEERD

semi lateral transfer question

Postby ENGINEERD » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Looking to be with my fiance next year who is applying to a number of grad schools and may end up in LA/NY/DC. Currently at a school ranked 22. What would it take to transfer to...

UCLA
USC
UCI
FORDAM
GW

I have checked out the yahoo transfer page but there is not too much info on lateral transfers. I have talked to some people who say you need to be in the top 15-20% of your class for a lateral transfer but I have a hard time accepting that. Thanks...

ENGINEERD

Re: semi lateral transfer question

Postby ENGINEERD » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:16 pm

If any recent transfers can put in their 2 cents i would appreciate it!

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:40 pm

If you get a response it will probably just be anecdotal bullshit. There aren't enough statistics to give you an accurate response. Speaking of anecdotal bullshit... I would haphazardly guess you need to be top 1/3 minimum and 15-20 actually sounds about right.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 pm

thanks for the response, most the responses on here are pretty anecdotal anyway but its the best I can get on this topic. From yahoo transfer apps it seems like top 15-20% at a 25-20th ranked school has a pretty good chance of cracking the T14. It seems unreasonable that a lateral transfer would be held to those standards but maybe thats why almost nobody does a lateral transfer.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:25 am

ENGINEERD wrote:thanks for the response, most the responses on here are pretty anecdotal anyway but its the best I can get on this topic. From yahoo transfer apps it seems like top 15-20% at a 25-20th ranked school has a pretty good chance of cracking the T14. It seems unreasonable that a lateral transfer would be held to those standards but maybe thats why almost nobody does a lateral transfer.

yeah, the problem is schools don't accept that many transfers. some only accept 1 or 2 a year I think. it probably makes it very competitive whether or not it's a t14.

Return to “What are my chances?”