3.64/165 Engineer.. GULC PT?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zreinhar

3.64/165 Engineer.. GULC PT?

Postby zreinhar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Note that last year I managed to get a WL from UGA, Vandy, BU, and Emory with a 162 applying in March.

Fun facts: Engineering and IP work experience. Was a grad student at Stanford for EE (MS) but had to drop out due to finances

Currently interviewing at PTO for patent examiner positions

Wrote Why X for all schools but GSU and Florida...

GW PT -
GULC PT -
Emory -
UGA -
GSU -
BU -
BC -
Florida -
UIUC -
GSU -

Run and Tell That

Re: 3.64/165 Engineer.. GULC PT?

Postby Run and Tell That » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:32 am

zreinhar wrote:Note that last year I managed to get a WL from UGA, Vandy, BU, and Emory with a 162 applying in March.

Fun facts: Engineering and IP work experience. Was a grad student at Stanford for EE (MS) but had to drop out due to finances

GW PT - In
GULC PT - Out
Emory - WL,?
UGA - In
GSU - In
BU - WL, In
BC - In
Florida - In
UIUC - In
GSU -In

I'm guessing BU and Emory wait lists, but who knows? Good luck!

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:57 am

Run and Tell That wrote:
zreinhar wrote:Note that last year I managed to get a WL from UGA, Vandy, BU, and Emory with a 162 applying in March.

GW PT - In
GULC PT - Out
Emory - WL,?
UGA - In
GSU - In
BU - WL, In
BC - In
Florida - In
UIUC - In
GSU -In

I'm guessing BU and Emory wait lists, but who knows? Good luck!

Thanks! I also just realized I have GSU twice... As far as Emory, BU, UGA, (and I forgot to add Vandy to the list) I got WL last year with a 162 (which I took as a sign of a strong app) so I'm hoping the 3 point jump in LSAT will push me over the top.. we'll see GULC is really my number 1 but it's such a crapshoot that I'm planning on GW for now.. hopefully my softs send them over the edge.. and my Why GULC? Essay

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:30 am

Work at PTO and go to gw or gmu PT. You probably wont get gulc.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 am

167/3.2 Engineer, ED at GULC pt-rejected... your numbers are more competitive though. Might try an ED there? Also, it might help if you visit and meet with admissions...

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:08 am

ENGINEERD wrote:167/3.2 Engineer, ED at GULC pt-rejected... your numbers are more competitive though. Might try an ED there? Also, it might help if you visit and meet with admissions...

Did you have WE? (IP and/or Eng) I'm still waiting for an offer from the PTO (doing security paperwork now) If I get the offer, I'll tell GULC, and when we go up to look for housing I'll stop by admissions and speak with them. Also, if it gets to be January before I hear back (most likely) I may take the Feb LSAT. I was averaging around 172 on PTs before Oct. and managed to miss damn near half of the RC questions (still not sure what happened)

LR1: -3
LR2: -3
RC: -11
LG: -2

Never got worse then -5 on RC on a PT which would have gotten me a 169 on the actual... Although I think GW PT would be a great fit given their IP strength and JD/LLM in IP

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:24 pm

zreinhar wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:167/3.2 Engineer, ED at GULC pt-rejected... your numbers are more competitive though. Might try an ED there? Also, it might help if you visit and meet with admissions...

Did you have WE? (IP and/or Eng) I'm still waiting for an offer from the PTO (doing security paperwork now) If I get the offer, I'll tell GULC, and when we go up to look for housing I'll stop by admissions and speak with them. Also, if it gets to be January before I hear back (most likely) I may take the Feb LSAT. I was averaging around 172 on PTs before Oct. and managed to miss damn near half of the RC questions (still not sure what happened)

LR1: -3
LR2: -3
RC: -11
LG: -2

Never got worse then -5 on RC on a PT which would have gotten me a 169 on the actual... Although I think GW PT would be a great fit given their IP strength and JD/LLM in IP

I had about a year of work experience as a design/test engineer, also have a MS in Mech Eng. If I were you I would absolutely retake in Dec. If you can get into 167 range you have a shot at the T15-20 and if you can get into the 170 range you will probably find a T14 acceptance somewhere.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:13 pm

See there impose the issue... Oct was my third since last year and I haven't quite decided about requesting sponsorship for a fourth... Plus I would imagine with how busy most adcomms are now, it would take too long to sit for the December. I would still be ecstatic with GW. Should be an interesting cycle. Also forgot to add Vandy. Think it'll be anything other than a straight up reject?

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:47 pm

zreinhar wrote:See there impose the issue... Oct was my third since last year and I haven't quite decided about requesting sponsorship for a fourth... Plus I would imagine with how busy most adcomms are now, it would take too long to sit for the December. I would still be ecstatic with GW. Should be an interesting cycle. Also forgot to add Vandy. Think it'll be anything other than a straight up reject?

Aw I see, that is a problem. Last cycle I researched requesting a sponsorship and it seemed like the people who wanted a sponsorship did not have trouble finding one- I would def look into that, maybe call them and try to expedite it?

GW is a solid school for IP and would be a good option especially if you want to work in the region. In regards to Vandy, I would say at best they will WL again (3+ pt LSAT increase is significant but I can't imagine them outright accepting you with your numbers). In the event that you find a sponsor and some schools like Vandy and GULC put you on the waitlist, a feb or june LSAT increase would be a compelling reason for acceptance.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 am

ENGINEERD wrote:
zreinhar wrote:See there impose the issue... Oct was my third since last year and I haven't quite decided about requesting sponsorship for a fourth... Plus I would imagine with how busy most adcomms are now, it would take too long to sit for the December. I would still be ecstatic with GW. Should be an interesting cycle. Also forgot to add Vandy. Think it'll be anything other than a straight up reject?

Aw I see, that is a problem. Last cycle I researched requesting a sponsorship and it seemed like the people who wanted a sponsorship did not have trouble finding one- I would def look into that, maybe call them and try to expedite it?

GW is a solid school for IP and would be a good option especially if you want to work in the region. In regards to Vandy, I would say at best they will WL again (3+ pt LSAT increase is significant but I can't imagine them outright accepting you with your numbers). In the event that you find a sponsor and some schools like Vandy and GULC put you on the waitlist, a feb or june LSAT increase would be a compelling reason for acceptance.

But at that point I'll probably be in DC anyways (catch 22!). What I'm thinking about doing is asking only GULC to hold my app until I take the Feb test, (I have had really good experiences with the W&L admissions office and I think I will ask them for sponsorship) As GULC is really the only school where my numbers most likely won't be good enough. Do you think that softs could overcome my numbers there?

I have a patent pending for a biomedical device, I'm published in a research journal. I have a year of engineering experience at a company in the top 5 of the fortune 500 (as well as leadership exp. there) and 2.5 years of research experience in undergrad for a DoD contractor (actually got an institutional award for antenna modification)

During undergrad I have a lot of on campus leadership. Pres of honor society that went from 3 to 50 members and instituted a robotics competition team that was a part of that honor society, was also a president of the IEEE hardware team, honors program, honors thesis, etc.

Extensive volunteer exp with homeless in Atlanta (2+ years worth) Also with animal shelter (A few months) and rescue and rehabilitate pit bulls. (2 years)

I realize the TLS version of good softs usually involves being a Nobel Laureate, but are these something that could make me more desirable PT at GULC if it were to be combined with a job at the PTO? Or is it really just white noise considering my numbers?

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:04 am

zreinhar wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:

But at that point I'll probably be in DC anyways (catch 22!). What I'm thinking about doing is asking only GULC to hold my app until I take the Feb test, (I have had really good experiences with the W&L admissions office and I think I will ask them for sponsorship) As GULC is really the only school where my numbers most likely won't be good enough. Do you think that softs could overcome my numbers there?

I have a patent pending for a biomedical device, I'm published in a research journal. I have a year of engineering experience at a company in the top 5 of the fortune 500 (as well as leadership exp. there) and 2.5 years of research experience in undergrad for a DoD contractor (actually got an institutional award for antenna modification)

During undergrad I have a lot of on campus leadership. Pres of honor society that went from 3 to 50 members and instituted a robotics competition team that was a part of that honor society, was also a president of the IEEE hardware team, honors program, honors thesis, etc.

Extensive volunteer exp with homeless in Atlanta (2+ years worth) Also with animal shelter (A few months) and rescue and rehabilitate pit bulls. (2 years)

I realize the TLS version of good softs usually involves being a Nobel Laureate, but are these something that could make me more desirable PT at GULC if it were to be combined with a job at the PTO? Or is it really just white noise considering my numbers?

Its too hard to predict how softs will help your chances. If I didn't know about your last cycle I would say softs do not really matter as much as grades and LSAT but Vandy must have appreciated your softs. I will admit your softs sound pretty good but I still do not see Vandy or GULC accepting you with out a higher LSAT (I could be wrong obviously). If what you said about scoring in the 170's in PTs is true I just do not see a down side to finding a sponsorship and taking the dec/feb test. It is likely you will be waitlisted by vandy and gulc pt (maybe) and a few more points will send you over the edge. I guess the only downside is the extra effort but you will probably regret not working hard for a month or two and settling for GW instead of GULC. Good Luck!!

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:27 pm

You won't get into GULC or GW PT. If you retake your LSAT and score 168+ you might get into GW. It'll require more than that to get into GULC.

I'm speaking from experience with very similar softs. Retake unless you're OK with GMU. GW's PT program is extremely competitive to get into and has a very small number of seats as of late. If you want more info, PM me.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:06 pm

any more thoughts?

Return to “What are my chances?”