3.70/169

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NZA

3.70/169

Postby NZA » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Not much to say...managed a 3.7 from a moderately okay university, scored a 169 on the LSAT. Have worked through all of my days in school to pay for tuition (approx 20+ hrs a week while studying full-time) at some lawyerly offices. Was fairly active on campus, leadership roles, all that.

Anyway, just curious to see what everyone thinks of my chances to get into a decent school, maybe in the top 20? I've applied to a few T-14 schools (U Penn, U Michigan, Duke, Cornell) since I have fee waivers.

Oh, and I'm a minority, lol, if that helps. Native Hawaiian.

I'm not incredibly worried about anything at this point...al-ki. But I am naturally too curious for my own good, so I thought I'd ask you experts. :)

Thanks!

whymeohgodno

Re: 3.70/169

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Ask about what? What schools are you looking for?

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:02 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Ask about what? What schools are you looking for?

Well, the few that I listed in the parentheses:

U Penn
U Michigan
Duke
Cornell

Also, I applied to these schools:

Boston C
Boston U
Vanderbilt
George W.
UCLA
Berkeley

I'll confess that I'm pretty interested in U of Penn.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:09 pm

NZA wrote:

U Penn
U Michigan
Duke
Cornell

Boston C
Boston U
Vanderbilt
George W.
UCLA
Berkeley

you have a good shot at your top schools, very good actually. In at Cornell. In at Penn. 90% In at Michigan and probably In at Duke.
You might want to apply to CCN if you're interested in those schools.

Write a DS about being Native Hawaiian

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:11 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
NZA wrote:

U Penn
U Michigan
Duke
Cornell

Boston C
Boston U
Vanderbilt
George W.
UCLA
Berkeley

you have a good shot at your top schools, very good actually. In at Cornell. In at Penn. 90% In at Michigan and probably In at Duke.
You might want to apply to CCN if you're interested in those schools.

Write a DS about being Native Hawaiian

Below both medians for Penn. He/she won't get in unless Native Hawaiian counts as URM.

In at Cornell though.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:44 pm

Interesting, interesting. :) I appreciate the help.

I haven't sent my apps to U Penn or Northwestern, yet, so I guess I'll add a DS to those two. U Penn requires you to write a supplemental essay, anyway, so there it is.

I thought I was going to chill once they were in, but honestly, just waiting is more stressful than worrying about how to make the apps right.

Thanks again, folks!

He/she won't get in

Oh, and I'm a "he," for the record. :)

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:51 pm

I'd actually give Stanford a shot. Native Hawaiian is a URM, and you may just be able to pull it off, even if it is unlikely.

Almost definitely in at Northwestern and Penn, unless you screw up something stupid or doodled on your LSAT writing sample.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:17 am

Being Native Hawaian gives some boost, like being hispanic, but its not the same as being AA, MA, or PA, since those groups are understood to be truely URM in law school. As such:

BC - in
BU - in
Vandy - in
UCLA - in
UCB - WL/in
Cornell - in
M - in
Penn - WL, maybe?
Duke - WL/in

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:52 am

in at Michigan, Cornell, and every non-T14
out at Penn, Duke, and every other T14

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:12 am

magicman554 wrote:Native Hawaiian is a URM.

No it's actually not.

I question whether Native Hawaiian even gives a slight boost. I also think that getting accepted to anywhere you are below both medians is not slight in any way.

As far as predictions, im_blue has it right.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:23 am

Man, it seems like everyone's got a different opinion. :) I'm excited to see where I actually do end up getting admission.

If I got into Cornell or Michigan, I'd be happy. Hell, if I get in anywhere I applied to, I won't complain.

Thanks again, folks. And when I hear back from those schools, I'll have to post here so you can see what exactly happened.

And, yeah, the Hawaiian thing seems a bit iffy. It's not like being Native American/Indian...there are a lot of Hawaiians/Asians in the legal profession, or at least ones that could hardly be described as disadvantaged. The schools in Hawaii, including Kamehameha (which is free for Natives), are some of the best in the country (even better than the Jesuit high school I attended in the PNW). Frankly, I think there are some other populations that face larger institutional challenges, ones that deserve a leg up more than Hawaiians.

Just my two cents, anyway. Again, thanks for the predictions. Kind of what I expected to hear, but it's good to hear it from other folks, too. :)

In case anyone is feeling generous, would it be too much to ask what schools you guys would apply to if you were in my situation?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:02 pm

NZA wrote:Man, it seems like everyone's got a different opinion. :) I'm excited to see where I actually do end up getting admission.

If I got into Cornell or Michigan, I'd be happy. Hell, if I get in anywhere I applied to, I won't complain.

Thanks again, folks. And when I hear back from those schools, I'll have to post here so you can see what exactly happened.

And, yeah, the Hawaiian thing seems a bit iffy. It's not like being Native American/Indian...there are a lot of Hawaiians/Asians in the legal profession, or at least ones that could hardly be described as disadvantaged. The schools in Hawaii, including Kamehameha (which is free for Natives), are some of the best in the country (even better than the Jesuit high school I attended in the PNW). Frankly, I think there are some other populations that face larger institutional challenges, ones that deserve a leg up more than Hawaiians.

Just my two cents, anyway. Again, thanks for the predictions. Kind of what I expected to hear, but it's good to hear it from other folks, too. :)

In case anyone is feeling generous, would it be too much to ask what schools you guys would apply to if you were in my situation?

Cornell is a lock with your numbers.

You would have had a decent shot at Michigan with ED.

Return to “What are my chances?”