167/173/3.87 Safeties?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
christinalsat

167/173/3.87 Safeties?

Postby christinalsat » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:14 am

So I'm about ready to shoot off my apps (hopefully before Thanksgiving assuming my last rec shows up on my account). My top choices are Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, Georgetown, and UPenn. Also applying to most of the t14 just to see what happens. Have four years of public interest experience and am Latina (central american descent).

Would love to hear what you guys think my chances are at these schools but my main question is what should my safeties be? I was thinking GW, BU, and American. I'd like to save my money though if you think I am playing it safe enough with just GW. The 167 and 173 retake sort of throws things off a bit for me (in a good way!), but I'm still confused as to how schools will perceive the jump.

minuit

Re: 167/173/3.87 Safeties?

Postby minuit » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:19 am

i honestly don't even think you need to apply to those safety schools. you'll def get into T14 with those numbers.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:21 am

minuit wrote:i honestly don't even think you need to apply to those safety schools. you'll def get into T14 with those numbers.

+1

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:21 am

minuit wrote:i honestly don't even think you need to apply to those safety schools. you'll def get into T14 with those numbers.

+1

christinalsat wrote:So I'm about ready to shoot off my apps (hopefully before Thanksgiving assuming my last rec shows up on my account). My top choices are Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, Georgetown, and UPenn. Also applying to most of the t14 just to see what happens. Have four years of public interest experience and am Latina (central american descent).

Would love to hear what you guys think my chances are at these schools but my main question is what should my safeties be? I was thinking GW, BU, and American. I'd like to save my money though if you think I am playing it safe enough with just GW. The 167 and 173 retake sort of throws things off a bit for me (in a good way!), but I'm still confused as to how schools will perceive the jump.

1) Don't wait till your LOR hits if you've got everything else ready. Send it in as early as practical.
2) If you've got some cash, apply to the T14 for scholarship leverage. With your numbers, it'll be a decent if not great return on your money.
3) As far as safeties go, only apply to places where you'd actually matriculate. I don't think you have to worry about applying to American. No use as leverage and you'll get in tons of other places, barring something unusual like a criminal record or whatever.
4) Predictions:
CLS: WL>Out
NYU: Out (they seem to care more than most about retakes for some reason)
Berkeley: In
GULC: In
UPenn: In

You're in great shape overall. Good luck with your application cycle!

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:30 am

patrickd139 wrote:

+1

christinalsat wrote:So I'm about ready to shoot off my apps (hopefully before Thanksgiving assuming my last rec shows up on my account). My top choices are Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, Georgetown, and UPenn. Also applying to most of the t14 just to see what happens. Have four years of public interest experience and am Latina (central american descent).

1) Don't wait till your LOR hits if you've got everything else ready. Send it in as early as practical.
2) If you've got some cash, apply to the T14 for scholarship leverage. With your numbers, it'll be a decent if not great return on your money.
3) As far as safeties go, only apply to places where you'd actually matriculate. I don't think you have to worry about applying to American. No use as leverage and you'll get in tons of other places, barring something unusual like a criminal record or whatever.
4) Predictions:
CLS: WL>Out
NYU: Out (they seem to care more than most about retakes for some reason)
Berkeley: In
GULC: In
UPenn: In

You're in great shape overall. Good luck with your application cycle!

I think you are in at Columbia. Honestly, outside the top 3 no one really cares about retakes, and even then they don't care a whole lot either. Here's a 166/173 3.85 from last cycle. In at Columbia and down (YP at Michigan). I doubt a 173 would have got him Harvard even w/o the re-take.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/consigliere/jd

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks guys. I guess flipping from a 167 mindset to a 173 mindset sort of shook up my application plans and I don't want to get over-confident about the whole thing. Though I know a lot of schools will see me more as a 170 and I'm not totally sure where that average leaves me. Sad about NYU>WL out assessment though. They're my top pick. :-(

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:35 am

christinalsat wrote:Thanks guys. I guess flipping from a 167 mindset to a 173 mindset sort of shook up my application plans and I don't want to get over-confident about the whole thing. Though I know a lot of schools will see me more as a 170 and I'm not totally sure where that average leaves me. Sad about NYU>WL out assessment though. They're my top pick. :-(

Definitely apply. You're at their 75% with the retake. Also keep in mind, I'm hardly a qualified person to do anything but give my opinion on where you're in and why...

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:41 am

You are probably in at all CCN. If you are looking for a big scholly apply to T7-T14 if you want, but don't waste money applying outside of T-14.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Forget BU unless you're interested in Boston. Forget American unless you're interested in unemployment.

GW and Fordham would be good $$$ safeties (although I do agree with the above posters; you really don't need them).

serdog

Postby serdog » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:32 pm

I think OP would have a good shot at Harvard right on the medians. Where I OP I would apply to all of T6 and then my top 3 pick in school 7-14

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:07 pm

serdog wrote:I think OP would have a good shot at Harvard right on the medians.

Actually 3.87 is just below median, which also happens to be my GPA, so that shot at Harvard is not that good, but definately worth applying.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:20 am

OP, YHS are out. As for NYU and CLS, you are above both medians, so you have good shots (NYU/CLS 75 LSAT are 175). Everything else below, write bloody "Why X?" essays to not get YP like crazy.

Return to “What are my chances?”