Ivy League Splitter 3.2/175

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Eponymous

Ivy League Splitter 3.2/175

Postby Eponymous » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:24 pm

edit -- too wordy !
Last edited by Eponymous on Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Re: Ivy League Splitter 3.2/175

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:26 pm

No your ivy school won't make up for that GPA.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:27 pm

I would say fairly good chances at anything under CCN with the exception of Berk...
Apply to one of MVP with ED

Eponymous

Postby Eponymous » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Also meant to ask (but was thwarted by keyboard gods) if any particular undergrad majors are currently in fashion at law schools ? Any advantage, for instance, to a hard science major, even if its possessor is not planning to pursue an M.D./J.D. or another specifically science-related field? Is there a dearth of (and thirst for?) music or fine arts majors ? Thoughts?

Your replies -- even if not heartening -- are much appreciated!

Good luck to all!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Eponymous wrote:Also meant to ask (but was thwarted by keyboard gods) if any particular undergrad majors are currently in fashion at law schools ? Any advantage, for instance, to a hard science major, even if its possessor is not planning to pursue an M.D./J.D. or another specifically science-related field? Is there a dearth of (and thirst for?) music or fine arts majors ? Thoughts?

Your replies -- even if not heartening -- are much appreciated!

Good luck to all!

Hard science/math majors are rumored to get a very slight boost when considering GPAs. Music/fine arts don't matter.

soj

Postby soj » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Princeton doesn't deflate; it inflates less.

You do get a boost for having gone to HYP, but I'd say you're still out at CCN. Michigan should be doable, possibly even with money.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:29 pm

That is a low GPA, regardless of your HYP credentials and hard science major. Both of those factors will make law schools consider it a little less unfavorably, but you're still fighting an uphill battle. CCN are probably out. MVP are gonna be tough, too.

Check out this link to see how Columbia applicants with 174-176 and 3.0-3.3 fared last cycle: http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd. Then try switching to another school to see your chances there. You might be in at UVA with ED if you're willing to forgo scholarship money further down.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Surprised no one has said it yet...

Search Function.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:13 pm

If it was a 3.4 or 3.5 with a 175, ED to Columbia and profit. But with a 3.2, ED to Penn and hope.

MW

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:21 pm

I wouldn't ED anywhere. Got a solid shot at MVP and lower. Lock at Gtown.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:13 pm

A lot of the schools being mentioned already have their ED deadline pass right?

UPenn, Columbia, NYU...

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Eponymous wrote:Hello -- Have been looking through forums and cannot find info. re: my specific situation/questions. No luck, yet.

First the disclaimer: Do not mean, with this post, to imply that a tony undergrad. school necessarily confers an education superior to that of a school with less cachet. Many schools are woefully underestimated. And, surely, most of us count among our friends at least a few whose excellent minds and personal gumption have earned them a superior education at a "Brand X" college. However (caveat to the disclaimer), it stands to reason that the motivation that drives us to cruise a "Top Law Schools dot Com" forum is, perhaps, not unwholly unrelated to the sensations one may feel -- the vague longings or the outright lust -- for a prestigious undergraduate institution.

Just wondering if the law school admissions personnel care much about reputation of undergrad school? Does a low-ish GPA from a high-ish school mean any more than a low-ish GPA from a medium-ish school? And (related issue) do admissions committees gain any benefit from the "bragging rights" that come with enrolling students with snooty degrees?

My stats are above. A 3.2, but from Princeton, which has a specific and overt policy of grade deflation. (Don't think that LSDAS cares about that, but the information goes out with every Princeton transcript. Blah-blah-blah.)

I know that Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Columbia are well out of reach (happily, not too interested in Harvard or Yale, anyway). Thinking about the possibility of NYU, Chicago, or Michigan. The prognostication sites generally return my stats with a "weak consider" or "might not outright spit on the application". Does the Princeton label nudge any of that into "medium consider" or "maybe" ?

Thanks!

This is some of the most convoluted and disjointed writing I've ever seen. You should go into academia.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Eponymous wrote:A 3.2, but from Princeton, which has a specific and overt policy of grade deflation.

I thought this was interesting so I looked it up.

"Princeton’s grading expectations, adopted by the faculty in April 2004, posit a common grading standard for every academic department and program, under which A’s shall account for less than 35 percent of the grades given in undergraduate courses and less than 55 percent of the grades given in junior and senior independent work."

35% is deflation?!

I don't think I've had any classes with more than about 20% A's, and quite a few with <10% A's.

jhspaybar

Postby jhspaybar » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:09 pm

No kidding, I consider my "easy" GPA boosting classes the ones where 20+% of people get A's. I generally avoid classes or professors where less than 10% get A's.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:54 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:
Eponymous wrote:A 3.2, but from Princeton, which has a specific and overt policy of grade deflation.

I thought this was interesting so I looked it up.

"Princeton’s grading expectations, adopted by the faculty in April 2004, posit a common grading standard for every academic department and program, under which A’s shall account for less than 35 percent of the grades given in undergraduate courses and less than 55 percent of the grades given in junior and senior independent work."

35% is deflation?!

I don't think I've had any classes with more than about 20% A's, and quite a few with <10% A's.

Have you looked at grade inflation at the Ivys? In 10 years the average GPA at brown will be a 4.2

Postby 2014 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:54 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
Eponymous wrote:Hello -- Have been looking through forums and cannot find info. re: my specific situation/questions. No luck, yet.

First the disclaimer: Do not mean, with this post, to imply that a tony undergrad. school necessarily confers an education superior to that of a school with less cachet. Many schools are woefully underestimated. And, surely, most of us count among our friends at least a few whose excellent minds and personal gumption have earned them a superior education at a "Brand X" college. However (caveat to the disclaimer), it stands to reason that the motivation that drives us to cruise a "Top Law Schools dot Com" forum is, perhaps, not unwholly unrelated to the sensations one may feel -- the vague longings or the outright lust -- for a prestigious undergraduate institution.

Just wondering if the law school admissions personnel care much about reputation of undergrad school? Does a low-ish GPA from a high-ish school mean any more than a low-ish GPA from a medium-ish school? And (related issue) do admissions committees gain any benefit from the "bragging rights" that come with enrolling students with snooty degrees?

My stats are above. A 3.2, but from Princeton, which has a specific and overt policy of grade deflation. (Don't think that LSDAS cares about that, but the information goes out with every Princeton transcript. Blah-blah-blah.)

I know that Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Columbia are well out of reach (happily, not too interested in Harvard or Yale, anyway). Thinking about the possibility of NYU, Chicago, or Michigan. The prognostication sites generally return my stats with a "weak consider" or "might not outright spit on the application". Does the Princeton label nudge any of that into "medium consider" or "maybe" ?

Thanks!

This is some of the most convoluted and disjointed writing I've ever seen. You should go into academia.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Forums are supposed to be conversational.... my head hurts.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Top 6 are out, but yea anything under you have a good shot. Just submit an addendum for your GPA.

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks!

This reads like something a pretentious high schooler would write.

Return to “What are my chances?”