170 / 3.86 asian Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
czelede

Silver

Re: 170 / 3.86 asian

Post by czelede » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:32 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
czelede wrote:
alicen wrote:thanks for your input guys. i know being asian doesn't help, sort of said it because i thought it would hurt? maybe it does nothing. and i'm not international.

i guess i would ask then, would it be better to take december lsat, assuming my score would be higher [i think it would...messed up this time around], even if it meant delaying my application? if the improvement of my lsat is like 2 points, would it still be better to wait til whenever that december score comes out? or will the difference in time hurt enough to cancel out difference in lsat?
From what I've been able to discern from the process, being Asian doesn't hurt you for law school applications. It certainly doesn't help, but it's not like undergrad.

Send your applications in now with a hold for the December test, a few points on the LSAT would do wonders for your very solid GPA.
? does it help in UG? because i feel like they are ORM in UG as well....
No I was trying to say that it doesn't help for law school, but at least it doesn't hurt this time around. It hurts a LOT in UG, apparently.

From the Boston Globe:
Princeton sociologist Thomas Espenshade, who reviewed data from 10 elite colleges, writes in "No Longer Separate, Not Yet Equal'' that Asian applicants typically need an extra 140 points to compete with white students. In fact, according to Princeton lecturer Russell Nieli, there may be an "Asian ceiling'' at Princeton, a number above which the admissions office refuses to venture.
(Article here: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/edito ... americans/)

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:36 pm

czelede wrote:
czelede wrote:
alicen wrote:thanks for your input guys. i know being asian doesn't help, sort of said it because i thought it would hurt? maybe it does nothing. and i'm not international.

i guess i would ask then, would it be better to take december lsat, assuming my score would be higher [i think it would...messed up this time around], even if it meant delaying my application? if the improvement of my lsat is like 2 points, would it still be better to wait til whenever that december score comes out? or will the difference in time hurt enough to cancel out difference in lsat?
From what I've been able to discern from the process, being Asian doesn't hurt you for law school applications. It certainly doesn't help, but it's not like undergrad.

Send your applications in now with a hold for the December test, a few points on the LSAT would do wonders for your very solid GPA.
No I was trying to say that it doesn't help for law school, but at least it doesn't hurt this time around. It hurts a LOT in UG, apparently.

From the Boston Globe:
Princeton sociologist Thomas Espenshade, who reviewed data from 10 elite colleges, writes in "No Longer Separate, Not Yet Equal'' that Asian applicants typically need an extra 140 points to compete with white students. In fact, according to Princeton lecturer Russell Nieli, there may be an "Asian ceiling'' at Princeton, a number above which the admissions office refuses to venture.
(Article here: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/edito ... americans/)
Haha interesting, i had never heard of that. It may be true at some schools... but have you ever been to the UCI or UCSD campus?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Yeah I know a lot of overqualified Asians from highschool who got rejected/WL at Ivies they had overqualified numbers/extracurriculars for while white people got in with average numbers.

I just hope that isn't the case in law school.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:51 pm

czelede wrote:

No, it doesn't help. It actually hurts for UG.

alicen

Bronze

Post by alicen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:52 pm

yes, it hurts in undergrad for sure! california state schools are obvious exception. the question there is, have you been to irvine? it is overwhelmingly asian.

final question, does it help matters at all that i go to an ivy?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:57 pm

alicen wrote:yes, it hurts in undergrad for sure! california state schools are obvious exception. the question there is, have you been to irvine? it is overwhelmingly asian.

A little bit but not TOO much.

Only case I've heard of where Ivy matters a decent amount is at Harvard where they take Harvard undergrads with lower LSATs.

I also saw Cornell averages for LSAT/GPA for Cornell undergrads who got into Cornell Law school and both were well below the medians.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:14 pm

alicen wrote:yes, it hurts in undergrad for sure! california state schools are obvious exception. the question there is, have you been to irvine? it is overwhelmingly asian.

Yes i have been to UCI and yes it feels like 95% asian. My high school lax coach went there and so we had a couple tourneys there and i almost went to UG there.

UCSD is just as bad, maybe worse

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:21 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Yeah I know a lot of overqualified Asians from highschool who got rejected/WL at Ivies they had overqualified numbers/extracurriculars for while white people got in with average numbers.

I just hope that isn't the case in law school.
asians are still 'over-represented' in law schools, but not to the same degree

from everything ive seen/read, asian applicants are treated like white applicants for law schools...

...interestingly enough, for biglaw firms, i think asians will usually count towards diversity (making me assume this uptick in law school asian students is a relatively recent [last 10-20 yrs?] phenomenon, to the extent that they would be slightly over-represented)

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:15 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote: If you can gain 2 or more points it will be worth it. What would kill you is if you delay everything then score the same.
There's no way it would KILL you if you delay and then score the same. It's probable that if you do get into any of CCN, you will not be accepted right away with your numbers. So waiting until xmas-ish will probably not have much of a difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 pm

adt231 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote: If you can gain 2 or more points it will be worth it. What would kill you is if you delay everything then score the same.
There's no way it would KILL you if you delay and then score the same. It's probable that if you do get into any of CCN, you will not be accepted right away with your numbers. So waiting until xmas-ish will probably not have much of a difference.
Taking in december means you are not applying till beginning of Jan and that is LATE, and some have learned the hard way that applying late does hurt you

alicen

Bronze

Post by alicen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:39 pm

Taking in december means you are not applying till beginning of Jan and that is LATE, and some have learned the hard way that applying late does hurt you
okay well after reading all your posts [except the one quoted above...oops?] i have decided to retake in december. thanks for all your responses! fingers crossed 1 or 2 points difference will really be a difference!

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:56 pm

"170 / 3.86 asian"

I lol'd.

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:32 am

alicen wrote:
okay well after reading all your posts [except the one quoted above...oops?] i have decided to retake in december. thanks for all your responses! fingers crossed 1 or 2 points difference will really be a difference!
just remember that if you go down (which most people here wrongly think is not a possibility for them), you've probably got zero shot at columbia or nyu

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 am

adt231 wrote:
alicen wrote:
just remember that if you go down (which most people here wrongly think is not a possibility for them), you've probably got zero shot at columbia or nyu
According to LSAT repeater data, 1 out of 3 170 retakers will score less.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:53 am

adt231 wrote:
alicen wrote:
OP has only a very small chance at NYU/Columbia as is anyways.

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:20 am

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alicen

Bronze

Post by alicen » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:17 pm

aw yay twins! what schools are you looking at?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:30 pm

alicen wrote:aw yay twins! what schools are you looking at?
asian twins? yesssssss

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:31 am

t10, praying for money *fingers crossed* :/ i know the odds aren't good what with the lateness of my cycle though. i've been doing really well on ptests but in june i did a good 2 pts below my average so who knows :((((((((((((

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:38 am

czelede wrote:

I think what she meant was that it hurts in undergrad. She was saying it doesn't help, and then saying "but it's not like undergrad" meant, "but it doesn't go so far as to hurt you[like undergrad]."

aw43duke

New

Post by aw43duke » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:19 am

alicen wrote:

I would not retake if I were you. I'm Asian, UG at Duke, 3.76/173. I was gonna retake to solidify my shot at the top schools, but my pre-law advisors and basically everyone I talked to in any sort of admissions (like my friend's friend's dad at Stanford) said you need like 4-5 points for it even to be worth it. 170 isn't bad and you have a great GPA. I think retaking would only be worth it for a school where you think you have like no shot now, so that you have nothing to lose. Otherwise just apply, hope that your PS and Recs are really well received.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:36 am

aw43duke wrote:
alicen wrote:

I would not retake if I were you. I'm Asian, UG at Duke, 3.76/173. I was gonna retake to solidify my shot at the top schools, but my pre-law advisors and basically everyone I talked to in any sort of admissions (like my friend's friend's dad at Stanford) said you need like 4-5 points for it even to be worth it. 170 isn't bad and you have a great GPA. I think retaking would only be worth it for a school where you think you have like no shot now, so that you have nothing to lose. Otherwise just apply, hope that your PS and Recs are really well received.
For you maybe. There's a huge difference between a 170 to 173 or even 172 compared to a 173 to a 175.

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:21 am

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:25 am

moneko wrote:HYSCCN... how big of a jump will i need to make up for an early jan app?
like others have said, i just figured w a 170 i had next to no chance at these schools...
You have next to no chance at HYS with a 170, probably will need a 174+ to be competitive especially for HY. CCN chances would also improve significantly with a 171-173.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:53 am

im_blue wrote:
moneko wrote:HYSCCN... how big of a jump will i need to make up for an early jan app?
like others have said, i just figured w a 170 i had next to no chance at these schools...
You have next to no chance at HYS with a 170, probably will need a 174+ to be competitive especially for HY. CCN chances would also improve significantly with a 171-173.
+1

But with a 173/3.86 I'd say you will get at least one out of CCN. Probably Chicago because NYU averages LSAT scores (or claims to) and Columbia is just harder than Chicago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”