3.1/157 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bburn008

New

3.1/157

Post by bburn008 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm going to apply this year and if I don't get into any of the following take a year off and retake the LSAT. What are my chances at...

Catholic
UDC
Richmond
University of Baltimore
George Mason PT (reach)
American PT (reach)

Really good softs. Volunteer 15hr/week for lacrosse team, work 2 jobs, president of student lobbying organization, member of prelaw association, Division 1 varsity athlete for one year (freshman)

Also I've looked at all the percentiles and know I'm at the lower end for alot of schools but anyone that has applied/gotten in to any of these programs please let me know what you think. Thanks

thexfactor

Silver

Re: 3.1/157

Post by thexfactor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:49 pm

bburn008 wrote:I'm going to apply this year and if I don't get into any of the following take a year off and retake the LSAT. What are my chances at...

Catholic
UDC
Richmond
University of Baltimore
George Mason PT (reach)
American PT (reach)

Really good softs. Volunteer 15hr/week for lacrosse team, work 2 jobs, president of student lobbying organization, member of prelaw association, Division 1 varsity athlete for one year (freshman)

Also I've looked at all the percentiles and know I'm at the lower end for alot of schools but anyone that has applied/gotten in to any of these programs please let me know what you think. Thanks
Unfortunately, you do not have really good softs.

Retake.
Consider Upitt and Case Western.

bburn008

New

Post by bburn008 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 pm

thexfactor wrote:
bburn008 wrote:I'm going to apply this year and if I don't get into any of the following take a year off and retake the LSAT. What are my chances at...

Catholic
UDC
Richmond
University of Baltimore
George Mason PT (reach)
American PT (reach)

Unfortunately, you do not have really good softs.

Retake.
Consider Upitt and Case Western.
Ok thanks. I've spoken to Baltimore and Catholic admissions and they made it seem like they'd be my safety schools, but then started looking on here and kind of freaked. Obviously not everyone on here is completely honest, but still my stats are low. Thanks for the suggestions I will look into both places!!

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Catholic
UDC
Richmond
University of Baltimore
George Mason PT (reach)
American PT (reach)

I'm not saying you can't get into some of your listed schools, but don't rely on softs, they really won't help you much.

Edit: You're good at Catholic and Baltimore. Probably out at Richmond. Not sure about the others.

bburn008

New

Post by bburn008 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks! Any other suggestions would be great. Does anyone know about part time schools? I know they are usually a little less competitive. I'd be fine going to Catholic for a year and transferring out. I also have a job lobbying for the nonprofit organization Virginia21. I don't know how heavy that will weigh though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:30 pm

dont go to a school thinking you are going to transfer out. It most likely wont happen

bburn008

New

Post by bburn008 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 pm

northwood wrote:dont go to a school thinking you are going to transfer out. It most likely wont happen
hey thanks is this something you can speak of from experience? just wondering. I should probably just retake the lsat and wait a year

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:57 pm

no. but think about the math

Law school is very competitive. You are graded on a curve. Only the top 1/3 or higher have the opportunity to transfer ( depending on where you want to transfer to). As a rule of thumb, from talking to admissions people and career services people, only go to a law school that you would be happy graduating from

bburn008

New

Post by bburn008 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm

northwood wrote:no. but think about the math

Law school is very competitive. You are graded on a curve. Only the top 1/3 or higher have the opportunity to transfer ( depending on where you want to transfer to). As a rule of thumb, from talking to admissions people and career services people, only go to a law school that you would be happy graduating from

yea makes complete sense! Thank you all for your help

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:23 pm

bburn008 wrote:
northwood wrote:no. but think about the math

yea makes complete sense! Thank you all for your help
I like this guy, he didn't retort with how he's not like all the other law students who want to transfer.

danileigh43

New

Post by danileigh43 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:44 am

I have similar numbers but with stronger softs will this give me any sort of bump on the schools OP has listed?

bburn008

New

Post by bburn008 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Hey what are your softs? Im.curious to know what strong ones are now!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:23 pm

strong softs:
curing a disease, earning a combat medal, getting published by multiple companies, starting a very profitable business, saving lives, being a professional athlete, or olympian or anything along those lines

weak softs: everything else. You are not as special as you think you are

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:27 pm

not sure if this was brought up, but are you URM?

i had similar #s and was denied at catholic, my guesses are (assuming you are NOT URM):
Catholic-out
UDC-in
Richmond-out
University of Baltimore-in
George Mason PT (reach)-out
American PT (reach)-out

if you are a URM you're in for catholic & richmond, and maybe GM/AU pt.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 pm

You asked about chances at PT programs. Two cycles ago I applied to a bunch of PT programs, mostly on the East Coast, with the same numbers as you. You can see my cycle here: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/king3780

jdhakert

New

Post by jdhakert » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:31 pm

northwood wrote:strong softs:
curing a disease, earning a combat medal, getting published by multiple companies, starting a very profitable business, saving lives, being a professional athlete, or olympian or anything along those lines

To OP: These are REALLY strong softs. You don't have to compete with these. Don't listen to the arrogance on these forums. Just apply, get accepted/waitlisted/rejected and make a decision from there.

Montevillian

Bronze

Post by Montevillian » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:49 pm

jdhakert wrote:

To OP: These are REALLY strong softs. You don't have to compete with these. Don't listen to the arrogance on these forums. Just apply, get accepted/waitlisted/rejected and make a decision from there.
If you have anything other than REALLY strong softs, law schools will only look at your numbers. If you have REALLY strong softs... They still mostly only look at your numbers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Im just trying to point out that its very common for people with a graduate degree, work experience, and other life expereiences to go to law school after being out of undergrad for a few years. Yes, those were very strong softs, and the majority of people with them wont be going to law school. However, the majority of the softs that people have are rather common- which doesnt make the person stand out as tall from the rest of the applicant crowd.

In the end, its going to come down to undergrad gpa, lsat, personal statement, and everything else-> with a big emphasis on lsat and gpa. It sucks, but thats how it is.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:58 pm

bburn008 wrote:
northwood wrote:dont go to a school thinking you are going to transfer out. It most likely wont happen
hey thanks is this something you can speak of from experience? just wondering. I should probably just retake the lsat and wait a year

That is good advice you've given yourself.

ChicagoRambler89

New

Post by ChicagoRambler89 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:12 am

:shock: So fixing the malt machine at DQ doesn't help me?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:03 am

if you got an award.. then possibly

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danileigh43

New

Post by danileigh43 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:31 pm

I guess strong was the wrong word. I will be doing a state department internship in madrid this spring. I have studied abroad three times. Done an internship abroad and speak 3 languages. I can add more but the state department thing was what I thought was strong. Also, I know this has been answered but as far as alumni boost goes does having a relative as a professor help. Especially if they are all over the website?

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:44 am

jdhakert wrote:

Yeah don't listen to people who know what they are talking about and whose opinion you solicited. Stop being a pussy!

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Rawlberto wrote:
jdhakert wrote:

Yeah don't listen to people who know what they are talking about and whose opinion you solicited. Stop being a pussy!
Or better yet, ask a question and then don't bother keeping up with your own thread or checking to see what kind of responses you get.

bburn008

New

Post by bburn008 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:43 pm

king3780 wrote:
Rawlberto wrote:
jdhakert wrote:

Or better yet, ask a question and then don't bother keeping up with your own thread or checking to see what kind of responses you get.

im sorry i've been busy keeping up with my weak softs :) THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”