Considering Law School

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CRob

Considering Law School

Postby CRob » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:41 pm

I have been reading these boards quite exhaustively over the last several months and finally figured I would post to see what others think of my chances.

I want to attend either Vandy or UTK and I plan on practicing within the State of Tennessee. Additionally I want to work for the Public Defender's office and eventually open my own law firm. My GPA is 2.8 and I have an LSAT score of 165. I am also 27, married, and have children. Immediately after high school I entered the work force and have been in management in the restaurant, consumer finance, and rent-to-own industries. Lastly, I am not sure how comfortable I feel about my URM status. My grandmother (my father's mother) is Mexican and on my application to undergrad as well as my FAFSAs I have always put that I am Hispanic.

I have done this because I feel closer to my father's side of the family than I do with my mother's side. I appreciate their strength overcoming their difficult times and do not want to deny my background. Now, here is the issue. If someone were to look at me they would not believe that I was Mexican, I have to actually show pictures or introduce them to my father. So, I guess an additional question would be, should I even continue to mark that I am Mexican (sometimes labeled as Hispanic)?

-CRob

Curry

Re: Considering Law School

Postby Curry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Retake. Get your LSAT up to 170. ED to NW

johnstonad

Postby johnstonad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:09 am

This may just be my own personal take on the situation. However, I also have a grandparent from Mexico but do not appear to be Hispanic. So, while my grandfather has faced adversity in his life because of the color of his skin... I have not. Because of this I have never listed myself as Hispanic or Mexican on any application because I would be doing nothing more than taking advantage of the desire of many law schools to increase diversity. That's just me though.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:17 am

CRob wrote:I have been reading these boards quite exhaustively over the last several months and finally figured I would post to see what others think of my chances.

I want to attend either Vandy or UTK and I plan on practicing within the State of Tennessee. Additionally I want to work for the Public Defender's office and eventually open my own law firm. My GPA is 2.8 and I have an LSAT score of 165. I am also 27, married, and have children. Immediately after high school I entered the work force and have been in management in the restaurant, consumer finance, and rent-to-own industries. Lastly, I am not sure how comfortable I feel about my URM status. My grandmother (my father's mother) is Mexican and on my application to undergrad as well as my FAFSAs I have always put that I am Hispanic.

I have done this because I feel closer to my father's side of the family than I do with my mother's side. I appreciate their strength overcoming their difficult times and do not want to deny my background. Now, here is the issue. If someone were to look at me they would not believe that I was Mexican, I have to actually show pictures or introduce them to my father. So, I guess an additional question would be, should I even continue to mark that I am Mexican (sometimes labeled as Hispanic)?

-CRob

I wouldn't presume to tell you how to make the personal decision of whether to check the URM box or not. I will tell you that there are a lot of blonde hair, blue eyed Native American law students running around in the world.

Again, not weighing in one way or another. And FWIW, I didn't check the box.

CRob

Postby CRob » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:33 am

johnstonad wrote:This may just be my own personal take on the situation. However, I also have a grandparent from Mexico but do not appear to be Hispanic. So, while my grandfather has faced adversity in his life because of the color of his skin... I have not. Because of this I have never listed myself as Hispanic or Mexican on any application because I would be doing nothing more than taking advantage of the desire of many law schools to increase diversity. That's just me though.

I completely understand, and I appreciate your opinion. As I have "checked the box" it has not in anyway benefited me in terms of my undergrad. I do not receive scholarship money or any benefits whatsoever. I merely checked the box because of my strong family commitment.

patrickd139 wrote:I wouldn't presume to tell you how to make the personal decision of whether to check the URM box or not. I will tell you that there are a lot of blonde hair, blue eyed Native American law students running around in the world.

Again, not weighing in one way or another. And FWIW, I didn't check the box.

Thank you also for your comment. I understand that there may be others that have tried to pull every last ounce out of their heritage in order to gain, but I am struggling with where my moral compass is pointing. I recently read a thread where someone who was 1/16 or 1/64th Native American was trying to gain admittance to law school as a URM. As a follow up, would this issue be brought up if/when I decide not to "check the box?"

Also, does anyone have any insight into whether or not I would be able to attend either Vandy or the University of Tennessee Knoxville?

-CRob

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 am

Basically no chance at Vandy, but IMO you have a good shot at UT.

This guy essentially had your numbers last cycle but got WLed - http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dhdean/jd

However, I think you have a better chance considering 1) your (possible) URM status and 2) if you're in-state (I assume so based on your original post). Your LSAT is WAY above their 75%, so work the admissions office - visit, talk with the deans - and you should be good. It may help that you have a family.

CRob

Postby CRob » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:40 pm

atresia wrote:However, I think you have a better chance considering 1) your (possible) URM status and 2) if you're in-state (I assume so based on your original post). Your LSAT is WAY above their 75%, so work the admissions office - visit, talk with the deans - and you should be good. It may help that you have a family.

Thanks for your opinion. I figured that Vandy would be a no go, but I was really hopeful with UTK. Knowing their respect within the State of Tennessee, I was hopeful with employment opportunities after graduation. Maybe I should take the LSAT once again and hope to get above my previous score?

My low undergraduate GPA was due in part to my family, but I'm not going to make excuses, I basically screwed up. But, you think UTK would at least be understanding?

-CRob

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:46 pm

This is a rare situation where i'd say don't have to retake because basically no matter what you get, your gpa is going to keep you out of vandy. you should be good for UT if you're in-state. just make it very clear that UT is your #1 in your personal essay.

good luck.

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:15 am

CRob wrote:
atresia wrote:However, I think you have a better chance considering 1) your (possible) URM status and 2) if you're in-state (I assume so based on your original post). Your LSAT is WAY above their 75%, so work the admissions office - visit, talk with the deans - and you should be good. It may help that you have a family.

Thanks for your opinion. I figured that Vandy would be a no go, but I was really hopeful with UTK. Knowing their respect within the State of Tennessee, I was hopeful with employment opportunities after graduation. Maybe I should take the LSAT once again and hope to get above my previous score?

My low undergraduate GPA was due in part to my family, but I'm not going to make excuses, I basically screwed up. But, you think UTK would at least be understanding?

-CRob

No need to retake if you want UT. Like I said, you're way above the 75th percentile.

The further out of UG you are, and the more WE you acquire, the less your GPA matters. Emphasize your maturity/WE and you should be fine.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:42 am

/

Return to “What are my chances?”